Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2018 7:59:51 PM EDT
Coworker found the bolt part of a stainless CMMG conversion kit in her yard.  Since it is complete, I went ahead and put $20 into 2 blackdog mags for it on a recent PSA sale.

I think if I went 22lr with my AR, I'd go for a dedicated upper from JP or CLE - I like *accuracy* from my rimfires.

So.... thinking of either building up a cheap upper for plinking or just trading/selling it off.  I see new CMMG units for $150....   is $125 reasonable to ask for for a local sale or trade value?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a 1:9 twist or 1:12 twist AR-15 barrel I suggest you run a few rounds through your AR-15 using the 22 conversion.  I’ve shot a lot of 22 rimfire in my 1:9 twist and got enough accuracy for CQB drills and steel plates.   I didn’t like the filth in my 5.56/223 AR-15’s so I started building dedicated rimfire AR-15’s.   Be forewarned 22 LR AR-15’s are very addictive.   Many forum members love running 22’s suppressed, to bad suppressors are unlawful where I live.

Some people don’t like shooting 22 LR in AR-15’s.  I personally really enjoy shooting steel with rimfire AR-15’s.  I also use the dedicated 22 rimfire AR-15’s to practice position shooting for the cheap extra practice for when I fire centerfire.   I suggest you test the water since you own the conversion.   If you don’t like it then sell it, price is only good to someone willing to pay the advertized price.   I’ve found the best accuracy with 1:9 twist barrels to be CCI standard velocity or high velocity plated bullets like CCI Mini Mags or Aguila Super Extra 40 grain plated bullets.   Accuracy with 1:7 twist barrels is decent for plinking but any centerfire barrel tends to have fliers which ruin groups if your shooting paper targets with rimfire ammo using a 22 conversion.

Here is a link to a short test to compare 22 rimfire shot using a 22 conversion compared to dedicated 22 LR AR-15’s.   This might give you an indication of the potential for accuracy/inaccuracy of 22 conversions.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754849
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Either way you go KEEP the conversion kit.

For plinking, using just about any 1-7 barrel will get you smacking steel out to 50yds or so with a chamber adapter set up. If you have a 1-9 or 1-12 barrel even better. for real accuracy, you'll want a proper rifled and chambered 22lr barrel.

For a dedicated upper, simply buy a dedicated 22lr barrel and barrel collar. Replace the chamber adapter on your current conversion set up with the dedicated collar and your in business. You obviously still need an upper, rail/hand guards ect.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For plinking, using just about any 1-7 barrel will get you smacking steel out to 50yds or so with a chamber adapter set up. If you have a 1-9 or 1-12 barrel even better. for real accuracy, you'll want a proper rifled and chambered 22lr barrel.

For a dedicated upper, simply buy a dedicated 22lr barrel and barrel collar. Replace the chamber adapter on your current conversion set up with the dedicated collar and your in business. You obviously still need an upper, rail/hand guards ect.
View Quote
Hrm.... if I were to go that direction, what barrel would give me groups like this?  Hence my leaning towards JPE or CLE for a target upper....

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Couldn't tell you.... My dedicated barrel came from Taccom3g. Its shoots good, but, not that good^.

I've seen good things said about beyer barrels accuracy wise.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:09:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a dedicated barrel for your conversion if you want accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hrm.... if I were to go that direction, what barrel would give me groups like this?  Hence my leaning towards JPE or CLE for a target upper....

https://itsjustcrap.com/gunpix/smremtargetBTV.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://itsjustcrap.com/gunpix/smremtargetBTV.jpg
If your wanting your rimfire upper to shoot groups like that I’d opt for the CLE.   A free floated top quality barrel with top notch target ammo is the only way you’ll get consistent groups like that out of a Rimfire AR-15.    It is usually cheaper to build a very accurate Ruger 10/22 than a very accurate rimfire AR-15.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Coworker found the bolt part of a stainless CMMG conversion kit in her yard.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Indeed.  She didn't know what it was, but knew that I'd know :)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top