Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2021 4:58:49 PM EDT
i’m having trouble trying to decide if i should build or buy. this would be my first AR so i’m not sure if i should buy one and customize it to my liking over time or try and build. any help would be appreciated. also i’d prefer to stay between $800-$1200.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What I did, and what I would recommend - buy, then build.  Buy a complete rifle, get used to how it operates, how to strip it, clean it, stick your toe in the water and buy some upgrades, etc.

Trigger, hand guards, stock, charging handle, etc-- replacing/upgrading these will all make you much more comfortable to try your first build.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy first. Learn the platform, identify what you like/dislike, then build.

My .02.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks. i was leaning that way but figured i’d ask some people who know more than me
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a lot of people who have built every AR they've ever owned including their 1st. Technically they've had friends who owned ARs, shot theirs, learned from them and had support during the builds. If you do not have this kind of support then you can still build your own quite easily. You can do ANYTHING yourself. The internet is FULL of videos that show just about everything step by step. This is just one good resource.

In the long run, I think you would be happier with what you built yourself than buying an over priced AR then replacing a bunch of the parts. Handguard, gas block, stock, grip, etc... What's left after that? A lower parts install (simple). The upper is even easier. What's the big deal? Nothing ... none of it is a big deal at all. Just a vice, basic hand tools (hammer, flat punch set, allen wrench set, torque wrench, armorers wrench). I bought a torque wrench used it once then returned it. Did that a couple of times before I finally just kept the last one. A decent armors wrench is nice, but you can buy a relatively inexpensive barrel nut wrench & castle nut wrench separately. I don't own an armors wrench and built more ARs than I can remember. You don't need over priced gadgets like vice blocks where scrap 2x4 works perfectly. I did a couple builds before I even bought a castle nut wrench.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What I did, and what I would recommend - buy, then build.  Buy a complete rifle, get used to how it operates, how to strip it, clean it, stick your toe in the water and buy some upgrades, etc.

Trigger, hand guards, stock, charging handle, etc-- replacing/upgrading these will all make you much more comfortable to try your first build.
View Quote

100% this. ^^^
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I decided to do a build first.  I had originally decided to just do something inexpensive like a PSA parts kit special and a lower and just assembling the lower.  But I figured I'd want to change things and want something more, so I decided to research, trying things out when possible, and do a build that is close to what I'd consider ideal, which was expensive, but I really like the result.  I might do a couple of things a bit differently were I to do another build in the exact same vein, but there's nothing about this rifle that I actually dislike, just small areas where it can be made even better.

My second AR will be complete next week, and this one's also a build.  I wanted to go cheaper and simpler, while still having some things I wanted that tend not to come standard in complete ARs on the market (if you can even find one these days, especially at a reasonable price), such as a lightweight barrel, no-FA carry handle upper, and a couple of retro-ish features other than the upper.

What I like about builds is I was able to get exactly what I wanted, or close enough in the latter case (the panic has made parts availability and pricing an issue, especially lightweight barrels and stripped receivers; in normal times I could have gotten it exactly as desired).  After looking around I've noticed that I'd have a hard time finding a complete AR somewhere that would be the way I want it; something like my first build is basically unavailable, and something like the latter would be tough to find, if I could find it.  I'd have to buy and replace a lot of components on a stock rifle to get what I want, including possibly having to replace the upper and/or barrel.  

So, depending on the specs you want, you may have to build or rebuild to get what you desire.  However, if what you want is available in stock form from someone, it is actually available for sale, the price is one you can afford and are willing to pay, and at most you might want or need to replace some small parts, and you wouldn't save any significant amount of money doing a build, then I'd say buying a complete rifle would be the best option.  Builds were better for me, and it's possible I might only ever do builds and not buy a complete, stock AR; but they may be better for you, or buying a complete rifle may be better.  Again, it comes down to what you want out of it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've built and modified so many AR configurations I wish I could just go back in time and buy a 11.5" KAC and 16" KAC and call it a day.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I built my first, second, third....
It’s not rocket science.  Of course I’ve built a couple of 1911’s.  An AR is a picnic compared to that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Build. I sold all my factory rifles.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Build cheap the first time, like on an anderson set and budget barrel.
Sometimes things get scratched up, etc.
Once had a upper index pin slot go to shit trying to change a rail for another.
There will always be another rifle for the premium parts.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Normally I'd say build, but in today's market if you can find a decent deal on a factory rifle grab it. The market on ARs and parts is pretty thin.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd say get whatever is available.  If that's a complete upper, and a bunch of parts for the lower, do that, or vice-versa.  The dirty little secret is they really are that easy to build.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Built all of mine. It’s easy and sometimes cheaper since complete firearms are taxed.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with this statement.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Solid advice
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a complete lower from Stag and a complete 20" assembled upper from another vendor.

Be careful.  Got screwed on the upper.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Buy first. Learn the platform, identify what you like/dislike, then build.

My .02.
View Quote

I did a build for my first one. I enjoyed it until I built my second, third, and so on.

Now my first just sits in the back of the safe because there are things I dislike about it.

I wish I would have bought my first.

For future reference, when Tig responds to you... Listen, dude is a wealth of knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Probably buy for the first one. To build, you'll want a torque wrench, vice, mag block, reaction rod, roll pin punches, armorer's tool, gas block fixture, etc. You can get by with less, but the right tools make it easier... and it isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Buy a complete lower and a complete upper and pin them together
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Bought new and over the years have changed everything except the upper, lower, receive ext,and safety lever. It's been 100% apart so it morphed into a build. SOCOM barred, FF, BAD pins and springs, bolt upgrade, stock, grip and G trigger. In today's market, take whatever you can find.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I built my first, second, third....
It’s not rocket science.  Of course I’ve built a couple of 1911’s.  An AR is a picnic compared to that.
View Quote

It's now called rocket surgery. Just saying.

Cheers

Oh, and btw, build the first one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#23]
complete upper, build lower
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I would buy the first complete one you come across.  Things is crazy.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This ^ x2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top