Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2021 9:20:40 PM EDT
Wanted to update.
I got the new bolt from Rudy and was able to try it this afternoon.
I managed to get through 5 full mags, without any issues with the bolt.
The only problem I had was the trigger pin walking out, but I can fix that later.
I would have burned more, but it was painful to shoot that much with 45acp being almost or is a buck a round. Fortunately I have a pretty good stash of it plus enough to reload 1k more. But I just couldn't see wasting it once it made it to 5 mags worth.

Thanks again Rudy.

not even sure how long ago, but I posted about an ar45 DI I had that was locking up after about a mag and a half.
Everytime it did it, and nothing I did could fix it. It didn't even seem that dirty.

Rudy suggested cherry balm and I picked some up.
Only just got to the range today.

So I did 3 other things. I swapped out the carrier group to a PSA nitrided one and kept the 45 bolt.
Figured it might cut down on some friction.
I swapped out the trigger group with a PSA enhanced trigger, the nickel boron coated one, and I put in the jp yellow spring.

I slathered the bolt, gas rings and the carrier group in cherry balm and it ran through 2 and a half mags before locking up. (well it dropped the trigger pin first, but that was a quick fix.)
Couldn't get it to feed, so I packed it up and took it home.

So the interesting thing, when I took it apart, it had the same problem, hard to pull back from battery.
I had always assumed it was the locking lugs being dirty.
But this time since everything was lubed up, I found that it wasn't that, but that the bolt wouldn't pull out of the carrier.

When I took it apart, it did look pretty dirty, but I have seen worse.

All I did was run a rag over the gas rings, the bolt and twist a rag into the guts of the carrier group, slather it with cherry balm and put it back together and it cycled fine.

Is this just break in issues or something else I need to replace? Or is 45 so dirty in a DI gun, I shouldn't expect to run it very long?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]

What ammo are you using ??

Maybe find a cleaner type of ammo ??

If you reload....try a cleaner burning powder ??

And I would copy/paste your post into an email,  and send it off to Rudy at Macon Armory, and see what he thinks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Rudy.

DI.

I haz one and it rocks.  

Saved for breakfast timz..
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rudy.

DI.

I haz one and it rocks.  

Saved for breakfast timz..
View Quote

In the 1st sentence OP says he has a DI .45
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
@Mad-Machinist
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In the 1st sentence OP says he has a DI .45
View Quote
Please point out how you interpreted my post as saying otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:57:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah, dropped you an email with my address as requested.
I think you have to finish it up first.
See if that clears it up. otherwise, I might have to send it back in for some work.

Thanks Rudy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Rudi is the man.  I purchased an 11” DI upper from him a little over a year ago.  It needed to shoot wet to break in. I haven’t fired it since June 20 because I was waiting on a Gemtec GM-45 silencer. Just got my tax stamp a few weeks ago but had to find an adaptor... finally got to the range yesterday.  Wow!  Thanks Rudy!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#10]
update in op
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rudi is the man.  I purchased an 11" DI upper from him a little over a year ago.  It needed to shoot wet to break in. I haven't fired it since June 20 because I was waiting on a Gemtec GM-45 silencer. Just got my tax stamp a few weeks ago but had to find an adaptor... finally got to the range yesterday.  Wow!  Thanks Rudy!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65087/DEFB5C20-9B73-46E4-B2FE-BD17067692FE_jpe-1805356.JPG
View Quote
Good choice, I have the same can.  Did you remove the LID and insert an adapter?

If I don't clean it every 50-100 rounds I can't get the tube off.  I also have to get it loose at the range while it is warm.  I use anti-sieze on the K baffles and threads and when using the LID I use silicone grease on those bits.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I will try to get one later today.
But that wasn't my problem.
My bolt locked up out side of the gun too.
https://imgur.com/CQphe3e
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  I will try to get one later today.
But that wasn't my problem.
My bolt locked up out side of the gun too.
https://imgur.com/CQphe3e
View Quote

I do not understand what's going on in this picture.  Ah - that's a lot of fouling on your gas tube.  What do you mean your bolt locked up outside of your gun?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, my original issue was it wouldn't cycle, but I couldn't figure out why originally.
Last time out, I pulled the bcg out and was playing with it and pushed the bolt in.
I couldn't get it to pull out again. The bcg was completely out of the gun. so it wasn't anything to do with the upper.
I had to get a screwdriver to pop the bolt out of the carrier.

Swapping it out with the bolt Rudy sent me made it work fine.
I might throw out the rings and put a new set in and see if it works, but not in a rush now, mostly due to not wanting to burn that much ammo again for a test.

I did measure and found the bolt Rudy sent me was longer overall, but diameter was the same.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#17]
no, it is 3 individual rings like it is supposed to be.
like I said, will probably swap to a new set of rings and if the price of ammo ever comes back down see if it fixes it and move on with a spare bolt.
but not high on my priority list.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#19]
regular 3 rings.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top