Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2018 1:41:19 PM EDT
A few years ago I bought a bunch of USGI NHMTG 5.56 20rd Magazines.  They came wrapped in brown paper in groups of 10.  I was thinking of getting some zip lock bags to store them individually.

1   Is this a good idea?
2   If it is a good idea where can I buy the proper sized zip lock bags?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Would be more efficient to use Sterilite 6 QT plastic shoe boxes, .97 at Walmart/Home Depot/Target.

Buy some desiccant packets and VCI paper from Amazon and toss in each plastic box, that is how I store my 20's.

ETA, the 20's fit nicely cross ways, just the right amount of space.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
10 fit very conveniently in the small Plano ammo cans.
More will fit but 10 stack vertically and it's easy to see if loaded and easy to move in and out.

I don't see the point of plastic bags unless you're just trying to keep them pristine
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Amazon has bags, but I prefer cling wrap.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the purpose of the ziplock baggy?

If worried about protecting the finish then there are cheaper things to use.

If you want airtight storage I would get the vacumn sealer out of the kitchen and use that.  Protect sharp edges so they don't poke holes in the bag.

I store mags in ammo cans for the most part to keep them contained, make em easier to move, and the ammo can protects them vs just having a stack on a shelf that the cat decides needs knocked over.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Long term storage, I would be worried of moisture in a zip-loc.
Stack em in an ammo box or like mentioned above a shoe box, if you are wanting to protect the finish put wrapping paper between them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I buy ziploc bags on eBay for organizing small parts. I bought some of these larger ones recently for storing 30-round magazines:

100 4"x10" small reclosable ziplock bags 4mil HEAVYDUTY

I’m sure they have shorter ones that would work for 20-rounders.

I store GI mags in them to keep them from banging around when we move every few years. I’m not concerned about moisture. Most of the mags I buy new come that way, and the used ones I buy get cleaned up with Slip2000 before testing, so they’re lightly lubed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I buy ziploc bags on eBay for organizing small parts. I bought some of these larger ones recently for storing 30-round magazines:

100 4"x10" small reclosable ziplock bags 4mil HEAVYDUTY

I’m sure they have shorter ones that would work for 20-rounders.

I store GI mags in them to keep them from banging around when we move every few years. I’m not concerned about moisture. Most of the mags I buy new come that way, and the used ones I buy get cleaned up with Slip2000 before testing, so they’re lightly lubed.
View Quote
Link is fubar but I fixed it;

fix
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry about that - something lost in translation from the eBay app. I fixed it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Just depends on how many you have.  For long storage I keep my 20/30s separated in two full USGI wooden footlockers.

CD
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#10]
O.P
I have a box of  military mag bags, Im sure they are for 20 round mags. How many do ya need?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I store mine in Chieu Hoi bags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
O.P
I have a box of  military mag bags, Im sure they are for 20 round mags. How many do ya need?
View Quote
Hello Tooly.  Thanks for the offer.  When you say military mag bags do you mean the canvas ones?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top