Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2018 8:37:54 PM EDT
I'm not that familiar with 22's.  I have a few questions if y'all can help me out.

I'm heading to the range on Tuesday to sight in my new (to me) 15-22.  The rifle is equipped with a set of Magpul sights.

My range has a dedicated 22 range that looks like it extends out to about 150 yards.  I've read up on the various theories of where to zero for 5.56 but I can't seem to find similar information for 22lr.  I can find that there's a pretty decent drop once you hit 100 yards.  And a number of places seem to indicate that 150 yards is about the edge of the effective range for 22lr.  But where should I start with my zero?

I mainly picked this up so my kids could have some fun.  What is the flattest zero to reach out to 150 yards?  I'm thinking 25 yards will have way too much drop at further distances.  Will 50 work?  Should I try for a 100 yard zero?

What has worked for y'all for 22lr in an AR style rifle?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, i never touched the sites on my M&P 15-22. We are hitting 6” steel off hand @ 50 yards. IMO , its a plinket not precision firearm. Not saying its not capable, jus have other tools in the shed for that type of shooting
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is the flattest zero to reach out to 150 yards?
View Quote
150 yards.

Quoted:
I'm thinking 25 yards will have way too much drop at further distances.  Will 50 work?  Should I try for a 100 yard zero?
View Quote
25 yards and 50 are almost the same zero with subsonic loads.  With that zero expect a 6 or 8 inch drop at 100.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I sighted my .22 scopes in at 50 yards if that helps.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
150 yards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the flattest zero to reach out to 150 yards?
150 yards.
Guess I deserved that.  Thanks for the chuckle.

I know it's not precision.  And it's just a fun rifle.  But my youngest (10.5 yrs old) doesn't really care to understand the idea of bullet drop.  Just trying to figure out what will make it easiest for her... therefore the most fun.  My oldest is much better with this and has no problem with holding high/low.

Thanks guys.  Appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know it's not precision.  And it's just a fun rifle.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I know it's not precision.  And it's just a fun rifle.  
I did this with a 10 year old daughter.  I believe that part of keeping it fun is making it interesting, and that requires some sense of accomplishment.  Is sticking a scope on the rifle an option?

Quoted:But my youngest (10.5 yrs old) doesn't really care to understand the idea of bullet drop.
This might be an opportunity to illustrate the utility of math and physics.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I initially zeroed the MBUS on my 15-22 at 50 meters. Added a Vortex Venom (3 MOA) and it's set at 50 as well. No problem. I feed it a steady diet of CCI AR Tactical .22LR and a little bit of CCI Copper 21gr for armadillos. Does very well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Not sure how accurate This calculator is, but you can change parameters and view charts like this.
Attachment Attached File

I used This site to estimate that my 4.5" AR22 has a muzzle velocity of 1050fps when shooting CCI AR Tactical (rated at 1200 fps from 16" barrel)

I punched in a few different zero ranges and at 20 yards it is back at zero at 50 yards, then drops off from there. You can play with the velocity numbers to match your ammo and barrel length to determine whats best for you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I used a 75-yard far zero on my 15-22 shooting CCI AR Tactical.  Puts it within a couple inches from 0-100 yards.  You’ll still have to hold over for 150.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think I used a 75-yard far zero on my 15-22 shooting CCI AR Tactical.  Puts it within a couple inches from 0-100 yards.  You’ll still have to hold over for 150.
View Quote
Here is a graph for your setup. Gets about 1.3" high at the highest point and 3.3" Attachment Attached File
low at 100
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top