Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2023 4:38:25 PM EDT
See picture. I just replaced a cheap Chinese qd mount that I bought off Amazon with a bcm d ring.

How the fuck did this sticky, shitty finish leave the factory on the bcm? The Chinese mount was like 5 bucks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:50:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Apocalypto-] [#1]
But it's tier 1, and you don't always better by paying more.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Which is which?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Which is which?
View Quote

This
And also, what QD mount is that? Not sure whether or not I like it, but just in case, I need to know what it is
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Reptillia

The d ring that is "greyer" in color is the bcm.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see a problem. If the surface is "sticky" then just wipe it off. It's probably just there to help protect the surface.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joedirt199] [#6]
My Expo gasblocks were sticky. Wiped them down with silicone spray and all is well. Parkerized steel coated with an anti rust protection would be my guess. Comes off easy enough.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: funnelcake] [#7]
It's parkerized.  You can get US made QD swivels in black oxide if preferred but it's an inferior finish durability-wise.

ETA:  x2 on above.  Lot of parts are hosed with a preservative.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
1/10
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:19:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MJ11B4P] [#9]
The BCM is magnesium zinc/manganese phosphate coated…

The Chinese shit is quenched in soy sauce.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I know what parkerized is supposed to feel like... this ain't it. My $5 Chinese knockoff is higher quality than this bcm. Sorry to hurt everybody's feelings. I like bcm too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
I know what parkerized is supposed to feel like... this ain't it. My $5 Chinese knockoff is higher quality than this bcm. Sorry to hurt everybody's feelings. I like bcm too.
View Quote

Didn’t hurt any feelings. I went with magpul yet they are all most likely made in China.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
The BCM is magnesium zinc/manganese phosphate coated

The Chinese shit is quenched in soy sauce.
View Quote
Green or red cap?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ARgonot:
I don't see a problem. If the surface is "sticky" then just wipe it off. It's probably just there to help protect the surface.
View Quote

This. Toothbrush and hot soapy water should work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I know what parkerized is supposed to feel like... this ain't it.
View Quote

They say it is, “Carbon Steel with Manganese Phosphate Finish”

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcmgunfighter-quick-detach-sling-swivel-1-d-ring/
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By EaglesNest:

This. Toothbrush and hot soapy water should work.
View Quote

Originally Posted By CJofFL:

They say it is, “Carbon Steel with Manganese Phosphate Finish”

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcmgunfighter-quick-detach-sling-swivel-1-d-ring/
View Quote

I did. Still a pile of shit finish wise. My other bcm pieces that has the "same" finish are 10x better than this.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#16]
What did they say when you called them?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#17]
put the pretty chi-com pot metal one back on

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:43:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#18]
Probably rust preventative.  Many manufacturers use a sticky product for that.  You see it a lot on LPKs.  Couldn’t tell you what it is, though.

Acetone basically eats it off on contact.  Get oil on the part immediately after acetone dipping it though or it’ll rust in pretty short order.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:51:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#19]
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:
What did they say when you called them?
View Quote

Originally Posted By Colt653:

View Quote

Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Probably rust preventative.  Many manufacturers use a sticky product for that.  You see it a lot on LPKs.  Couldn’t tell you what it is, though.

Acetone basically eats it off on contact.  Get oil on the part immediately after acetone dipping it though or it’ll rust in pretty short order.
View Quote

Waiting on email response still

Not the point. When you pay 3x for something with better "quality"  you expect said quality. Even if it's just a stupid d ring.

I thought it might have been that too-but the entire surface is just rough to touch. My other bcm swivel/swivel mount are a more consistent color and don't have this feel to it. They are by no means anozided in looks but they are smooth to the touch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 2:48:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#20]
Remember back like 10 years ago when it didn't matter what sort of fucked up garbage someone posted. If it said BCM on it the automatic response was, but it works fine. Quit being a pussy and shoot it! Well, you got a retro BCM swivel. Very collectable.
Kidding. The picture doesn't really depict what you're saying (i believe you. Just cant see it in the picture), but you absolutely deserve to get what you paid for. Hopefully they come through for you.
Edit: If it makes you feel better, my mount for my light showed up from them today. It looks used
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

This.  Finish doesn’t mean shit, when that $5 part fails.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AAMP84:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AAMP84:

That chi-com part is close to 15,000 rounds. I think it's good at this point
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#23]
You apparently you have a very limited experience in the real world with real things. There are different types of "parkerizing," some will be smoother or rougher than others.  Rough isn't worse than smooth and it likely will hold oil better.

There are some finicky people here who want things to be what they consider perfect and to hell with how well it works for the intended purpose, or what things really mean.
Put your painted chinese shit back on, send the BCM back or sell it to someone who values functionality over form, and stop crying like a small child over absofuckinglutely nothing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:32:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#24]
Originally Posted By Unicorn:
You apparently you have a very limited experience in the real world with real things. There are different types of "parkerizing," some will be smoother or rougher than others.  Rough isn't worse than smooth and it likely will hold oil better.

There are some finicky people here who want things to be what they consider perfect and to hell with how well it works for the intended purpose, or what things really mean.
Put your painted chinese shit back on, send the BCM back or sell it to someone who values functionality over form, and stop crying like a small child over absofuckinglutely nothing.
View All Quotes

I thought it might have been that too-but the entire surface is just rough to touch. My other bcm swivel/swivel mount are a more consistent color and don't have this feel to it. They are by no means anozided in looks but they are smooth to the touch.

You actually emailed BCM about this? What did they say? It's been long enough, surely they replied. Hopefully it was with the appropriate, "Are you f'ing kidding?".

And if you think that QD swivel is rough to the touch, I can't wait to read your post when you gab that rail cover...you might just draw blood on that thing.

Of course, the thread content was about what I was expecting when I read the educated, well-thought-out title.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By kwb377:

https://media.giphy.com/media/5xtDarmwsuR9sDRObyU/giphy.gif

You actually emailed BCM about this? What did they say? It's been long enough, surely they replied. Hopefully it was with the appropriate, "Are you f'ing kidding?".

And if you think that QD swivel is rough to the touch, I can't wait to read your post when you gab that rail cover...you might just draw blood on that thing.

Of course, the thread content was about what I was expecting when I read the educated, well-thought-out title.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kwb377:

https://media.giphy.com/media/5xtDarmwsuR9sDRObyU/giphy.gif

Sorry I've been away for work.

It began rusting and sticking in position about a day after I posted this. Anyway they apologized and sent a replacement. I haven't been home to check the new one. I know you all get butthurt when somebody calls out your favorite companies when they put out bullshit things that should never have made it through QC but that's how it works.

As for the rail cover, the rail cover is exactly what I expected to get when I paid for it.

As for it being absolutely nothing-there's a reason a $5 Chinese knockoff is higher quality than American bs-stop making excuses for manufactures putting out sub par products.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#26]

It began rusting and sticking in position about a day after I posted this. Anyway they apologized and sent a replacement. I haven't been home to check the new one. I know you all get butthurt when somebody calls out your favorite companies when they put out bullshit things that should never have made it through QC but that's how it works.

As for the rail cover, the rail cover is exactly what I expected to get when I paid for it.

As for it being absolutely nothing-there's a reason a $5 Chinese knockoff is higher quality than American bs-stop making excuses for manufactures putting out sub par products.
View Quote

I did forget something, or just noticed it. You bought it from Amazon? There's no guarantee that it's real unless the shipping was handled by the seller (and they are a reputable seller). Amazon has had issues with real and fakes getting mixed together when they "fulfill" the order. They get a delivery from BCM, then they get a shipment from a maker of fakes that has the same name on the package and looks close enough. They dump all of them into the same bin. When they get the order, their order picker grabs whatever is on top and sticks it in the box. Could be the real one, could be the fake one.
People have received things like a real and a fake CAT in the same order because of this.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:15:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#27]

I did forget something, or just noticed it. You bought it from Amazon? There's no guarantee that it's real unless the shipping was handled by the seller (and they are a reputable seller). Amazon has had issues with real and fakes getting mixed together when they "fulfill" the order. They get a delivery from BCM, then they get a shipment from a maker of fakes that has the same name on the package and looks close enough. They dump all of them into the same bin. When they get the order, their order picker grabs whatever is on top and sticks it in the box. Could be the real one, could be the fake one.
People have received things like a real and a fake CAT in the same order because of this.
View All Quotes

The original was from Amazon. The bcm d-ring was from freedom trading co. Sorry for the poor articulation
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Reptillia

The d ring that is "greyer" in color is the bcm.
View Quote

Son of a bitch! I like it, but $50!

https://reptiliacorp.com/product/socket-mount-mlok-qd-sling-attachment/
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:34:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#29]
OP trusted his life to a cheap $13 QD swivel from BCM. Gross.

I wouldn’t spend less than triple that for a QD swivel.

If you want to live operationally on a two way sand box.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a steel part coated in a corrosion resistant substance. Same as nearly every gun from the factory. How long have you been doing this? Surely you would've noticed a pattern by now
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top