Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 1:32:52 PM EDT
I've tried most triggers out there.  Standard,  Velocity, JMT, RRA Match, Armalite Match, KAC match, Timney, LaRue, CMC, Geissele (SSA-E & SD-E), Triggertech, AR Gold and Elftmann Match. Had kept the three I liked (the last three) to determined which I liked the best and what to standardize on. This is for all of my precision rigs.

My father went with me to the range and said the only thing he didn't like about his rifle was the standard trigger. I told him to try all mine. He ended up liking the Elftmann. I will be giving that to him since he really liked it.

As a result, I have to replace the Elftmann. I was going to buy another of the triggers I preferred,  but I thought maybe i should try the one trigger I haven't tried. I bought a Geissele HSNM earlier today. Most reviews I've seen for it are good,  hope it turns out to be the case. Range trip is in order tomorrow & this weekend, I'll post some experiences afterward.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one in my precision AR and I really like it, although I'm not much of a trigger snob.

In my defensive carbine, I have a Larue MBT, and think it is great as a multi-purpose trigger.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I started by looking for a trigger to have in all of my rifles. That's the reason I've gone through so many different offerings. For my carbines I like single stage triggers. Precision I like two stage. The offering from Wilson is the other I haven't tried but would like to. This HSNM always seems to have solid reviews, like yours here.  Makes me hopeful, so thanks for the reply.  I really like my AR Gold. Tried the MBT's in several rifles and calibers. Didn't really care for them for what I was looking for. Not saying they're bad triggers, but just not for me for several reasons.  I had four and had considered using them in my carbines,  but decided do stick with single stage triggers in them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with the Elftmann (2x, actually) after trying a couple different Geisseles. That being said, I wouldn't be at all disappointed if I had to go with the Geissele. I prefer the crisper break of the Elftmann.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with the Elftmann (2x, actually) after trying a couple different Geisseles. That being said, I wouldn't be at all disappointed if I had to go with the Geissele. I prefer the crisper break of the Elftmann.
View Quote
The Elftmann is nice. I had it after both the Geissele's I had. Liked it enough it was in the top of what to keep and use in everything. Basically down to it or the AR Gold. Just thought I'd give this a go as most that have and use it are like those with Elf or ATC and a few that have had/tried all have stated they preferred the HSNM. Giving the Elf to my father actually makes me pretty happy. I know he'd never buy one on his own due to the cost. He can afford it, but just wouldn't. My being able to give him it has him ending up with what he really liked.

If this doesn't work out for me, like all the others it can be sold. I will lose a few dollars for trying it for the few rounds of use that I go through, but someone will end up with what they want for a slightly better price than new. If it works out well, then I have what I've been looking for and lucky enough to have been able to find it by trying out all the others instead of just guessing.

Bad thing about triggers, they are really preference, fit and feel for the individual. Nice that we have so much availability and choice, but that's a double edge sword in that you can spend a small fortune trying things out. With all the different triggers I've had and still have I tend to let people try them whenever they would like to. It may save them some time or guessing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had the Geissele HSNM trigger and it is a nice trigger but I ended up getting rid of it as I preferred the flat face triggers. I also couldn't tell a big difference between the SDE and the HSNM. I've tried the CMC 2 stage and single stage. Larue MBT, Geissele SDE and the Hiperfire Eclipse and 24C. I ended up keeping the Hiperfire's in my SBR's and have the SDE in both of my 16" rifles.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've had the Geissele HSNM trigger and it is a nice trigger but I ended up getting rid of it as I preferred the flat face triggers. I also couldn't tell a big difference between the SDE and the HSNM. I've tried the CMC 2 stage and single stage. Larue MBT, Geissele SDE and the Hiperfire Eclipse and 24C. I ended up keeping the Hiperfire's in my SBR's and have the SDE in both of my 16" rifles.
View Quote
If you couldn't tell any difference, you didn't adjust the trigger.

I'm not digging at you, just a statement.  The SDE and HSNM are absolutely nothing alike.

You can adjust the first stage, second stage, break, and reset.  It takes a bit of tinkering to get it where you want it.

It's just about perfect for a long-range, precision AR.

OP, for your first time I recommend watching Bills youtube video.  It'll help make sense of the adjustments you're making and insure that you don't screw up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you couldn't tell any difference, you didn't adjust the trigger.

I'm not digging at you, just a statement.  The SDE and HSNM are absolutely nothing alike.

You can adjust the first stage, second stage, break, and reset.  It takes a bit of tinkering to get it where you want it.

It's just about perfect for a long-range, precision AR.

OP, for your first time I recommend watching Bills youtube video.  It'll help make sense of the adjustments you're making and insure that you don't screw up.
View Quote
Did just that earlier today.  Got it installed and initially adjusted. Out to the range tomorrow,  but if initial feel is any indicator I think I'm going to like this trigger.

As a side note,  I can tell a difference from the SSA-E & SD-E that I had.  Both were nice,  but with this adjusted to what I wanted it really feels pretty good. The bow is great and brake is just as expected from Geissele. The AR Gold currently is my preferred, but as I said if this function keeps the HSNM could switch my preference.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm like Sigman, I'm not much of a trigger snob either.
I've got two 2-stage KAC triggers in my "precision" lowers, and LMT 2-stage and a RRA 2-stage in the others including the SBRs.
The best LMT 2-stage is in my 16" Krieger Recon, and it is nearly as good as the KACs.

Out of all the "new" triggers I have tried, I would just buy the LaRue for anything but a "precision" rig.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Geissele HSNM is a great trigger.  Ran a some rounds with it in my 6mm. Initial tuning from install is pretty good,  but I'll mess with it a little more. I currently have it setup with the match trigger and disconnecter springs.

Next to the AR Gold, the first stage is a little heavier, but nothing that gives negative marks. It is more defined than the Elftmann which feels like it's non existent lengthwise. The takeup is buttery smooth. It is not overly long or heavy.  The MBT felt longer,  heavier and nowhere near as smooth.  The wall is hit. With only a little more pull the break is crisp. The break is similar to the AR Gold, Elftmann, Triggertech and LaRue I haven't done anything with the overtravel. There is a little,  but I am happy with it right where it is as set from Geissele.  Reset is not long and positive, not as positive as the MBT but a little more than the AR Gold and like the Elftmann or Triggertech. The length to reset is longer than the Elftmann which is real short, but more around the AR Gold or Triggertech. It is a smooth and positive (like the AR Gold but stronger) and didn't have the long,  weak gritty feel the MBT's had.

The bow is nice.  Wide,  curved and comfortable. I like this far more than the AR Gold and a little more than the Triggertech. The Elftmann is nice and wide,  but very flat (no curve on the face), similar to the MBT. The bow width was something that I liked about the MBT and Elftmann. The thin bow on the AR Gold is the one thing I don't like about it. Compared to the Elftmann and MBT, I like it a lot better.

Overall,  i really like this trigger. From my initial run with it,  it is worth the money.  A few more outings will give me an idea if this is what I'll standardize on. So far for my preference rankings of what I find fitting me more are:

1) Geissele HSNM/AR Gold
2) Elftmann
3) Triggertech/Geissele SSA-E or SD-E
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top