Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2018 9:21:27 AM EDT
I am looking for a clamp-on front sight base for an M4 or A2 profile barrel to be placed out at the end of a free floated barrel, just behind the muzzle threads.  The options look expensive or delicate or not able to accommodate AR sight posts.

Has anyone tried a YHM-9394?  

How did it turn out?  If this is a bad idea, why?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
PRI makes a cleaner looking clamp on FS.  The location you are describing will probably look fucky.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have that sight, the YHM-9394, installed in its regular location.

There is a small amount of wobble in the upright, in-use, position.

I can't say that I've noticed it affects accuracy.

It locks only in the up position.

Have never had a problem with it moving after clamped on.

It mounts on a 0.750" outside diameter.

Best price I found was at JoeBob Outfitters a few years ago.

May be worth checking here for pricing, AR15 Industry Section, BrightFlashlight.

I have never ordered from them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PRI makes a cleaner looking clamp on FS.  The location you are describing will probably look fucky.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
PRI makes a cleaner looking clamp on FS.  The location you are describing will probably look fucky.
That's how people will know it's mine.

Quoted:
I have that sight, the YHM-9394, installed in its regular location.

There is a small amount of wobble in the upright, in-use, position.

I can't say that I've noticed it affects accuracy.

It locks only in the up position.

Have never had a problem with it moving after clamped on.
Thanks for the first hand information.  I'm trying to get  little more sight radius.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used that sight before on the gas block journal
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's how people will know it's mine.

Thanks for the first hand information.  I'm trying to get  little more sight radius.
View Quote
Have you thought about using this instead?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  The price is reasonable, it's fixed, and it would have worked very well with my existing handguard.  It doesn't accept AR sight posts though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes.  The price is reasonable, it's fixed, and it would have worked very well with my existing handguard.  It doesn't accept AR sight posts though.
View Quote
Well I tried

Call LRK Mechanical and ask for Matt. Tell him that arfcom sent you. Explain exactly what you're looking for.

Is this for open sight match shooting?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well I tried

Call LRK Mechanical and ask for Matt. Tell him that arfcom sent you. Explain exactly what you're looking for.

View Quote
I appreciate the reference.

This is for a dedicated 22lr AR I use for shot therapy.  AR iron sights work well for me, much better then red dots.  Armalite made a clamp-on A2 front sight that may have worked, but those aren't to be found at reasonable prices.  The PRI alternative is very nice, but it's also $100 more.  I have a flip up sight at the end of a 13.5 inch free float tube; they work well, but I am wondering if a barrel mounted front sight would be even better.

I wanted something that clamps onto the barrel because I know the end of the barrel won't be .750.  I may need to use shims.  I found a Yankee hill unit at a reasonable price; I'll give it a try and report back.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've done it on two or three rifles with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is for a dedicated 22lr AR I use for shot therapy.  AR iron sights work well for me, much better then red dots.  Armalite made a clamp-on A2 front sight that may have worked, but those aren't to be found at reasonable prices.  The PRI alternative is very nice, but it's also $100 more.  I have a flip up sight at the end of a 13.5 inch free float tube; they work well, but I am wondering if a barrel mounted front sight would be even better.

I wanted something that clamps onto the barrel because I know the end of the barrel won't be .750.  I may need to use shims.  I found a Yankee hill unit at a reasonable price; I'll give it a try and report back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I tried

For my .22 I took a regular front sight and drill / tapped the flat spot on the bottom for a set screw.  Works like a champ!
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I just read this post a hour ago, and look what shows up in my YouTube recommended list.

And YES to swapping front site posts.

Ultradyne C4 Sighting System Precision Iron Sights
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I built a 6.8 and a 7.62x39 dizzy with those sights clamped on the end of a .730” diameter barrel, one on a mid gas and one on a CAR gas and the sight is in roughly the rifle gas position.  I like them just fine.  Of course the functioning gas block is hidden under the handguard.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top