Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2020 3:39:56 PM EDT
Was there ever a transitional upper equipped with the XM177 moderator?  (A1 rear sight with FA + deflector)

I've been looking for days and haven't seen any in my search.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say that the rule with regards to what Colt might have done is "never say never," but I would be pretty surprised if there had been.  By the time the C7 upper came along, the moderators had been out of use for quite a while...

That said, my vote is always, if you think it looks cool, do one!  
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Unlikely. The moderators were no longer in the supply chain after the mid 70s.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Never seen it. I think 18B30 is on point, they were worn out and gone by the time the C7 style replacement uppers would have hit the supply chain. Plus, by that time Colt had standardized the 11.5" barrel/gas port size that they liked for optimum reliability so there was no need for the moderator.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:37:29 AM EDT
[#4]
This is all kinds of wrong but it'll give you an idea of what it would look like.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rokchukrslave:
This is all kinds of wrong but it'll give you an idea of what it would look like.

https://i.imgur.com/foHl0GL.jpg?1
View Quote

Well it may be wrong but it looks pretty good IMO

Thanks for all the help gents
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think the XM177e2 ever were in "style." The army only bought them for the SOG and the air force only bought them for the PJs. Basically it went out of style fast, and on top of that the moderator clogged to the point you couldn't even clean it.

I don't think Colt ever made a moderator ever again. Mostly because it's considered a NFA item and on top of that clogged.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The moderator was a bit of a problem. Apparently it fouled up pretty bad so mostly they were removed and replaced with A1 flash suppressors.

The XM-177/Gau-5 soldiered on for a long time. Well into the 90s for the USAF SF and security.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Saw a few in the Air Guard Security Forces Armory well into 2010....
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is all kinds of wrong but it'll give you an idea of what it would look like.

https://i.imgur.com/foHl0GL.jpg?1
View Quote

Looks identical to one my rifles! I'm a lefty, so I used the C7 upper for the A2 style brass deflector.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Was there ever a transitional upper equipped with the XM177 moderator?  (A1 rear sight with FA + deflector)

I've been looking for days and haven't seen any in my search.

Thanks
View Quote

I'm curious... why would you want it? Are you left handed?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:25:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm curious... why would you want it? Are you left handed?
View Quote

No, because I have a C7 upper and an xm177 booster. But I’ve already switched to plan B and ordered a DS Arms 14.7 M4 barrel to make a Colt 723 clone.

Thanks for the help guys. Oh and if anyone is in the market for a Brownells booster, shoot me a PM
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top