Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2020 4:47:50 PM EDT
A while back, a member posted some pictures of an early 603 upper that he pulled off a rubber duck training rifle.  He removed all of the rubber off of it and planned to use it in a build.  I know they made the rubber ducks with real barrels as well.  I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if they also used an actual lower receiver as well when  they made a rubber duck?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Who wants to know? You wouldn't be planning on doing any nefarious acts now would you? All jokes aside, from the plethora of rubber ducks I've handled, all of the lowers have been plastic/rubber. They probably did that on purpose haha. I HAVE, however, unfortunately seen what once were probably very nice barrels stuck into rubber ducks.  I.e. M VP 12s and the like...
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who wants to know? You wouldn't be planning on doing any nefarious acts now would you? All jokes aside, from the plethora of rubber ducks I've handled, all of the lowers have been plastic/rubber. They probably did that on purpose haha. I HAVE, however, unfortunately seen what once were probably very nice barrels stuck into rubber ducks.  I.e. M VP 12s and the like...
View Quote

I had a feeling they were rubber.  If they were metal and just never fully milled, I was wondering if you could mill one out to Semi-Auto specification.   I have seen those barrels as well.  Given the prices that those types of barrels are bringing these day I wonder if anyone has tried to salvage a vintage barrel from a rubber duck!  Are they welded up or do they just have rubber inside?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine was able to save a Winchester 1/14 Colt 601 barrel  off of a rubber duck, complete with a cast front sight.  I also know someone who claims to have recovered a REAL aluminum lower from a rubber duck.  Being that it was not legal, he cut it up just for the mag well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the duck... Some just have barrels, some are barreled receivers. The barrels are usually in such bad shape that they're not worth saving. They're usually rusted beyond repair, bent, etc. I cringe when I see it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A friend of mine was able to save a Winchester 1/14 Colt 601 barrel  off of a rubber duck, complete with a cast front sight.  I also know someone who claims to have recovered a REAL aluminum lower from a rubber duck.  Being that it was not legal, he cut it up just for the mag well.
View Quote

Very interesting!  If he actually did recover a real aluminum lower, I wonder to what extent it was milled.  May have been legal if it was never milled into a firearm and never registered.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a M16A1 Rubber Duck that has a CK forge code upper receiver (1972-73) assembly with a C MP C stamped barrel that has been plugged. The lower hard plastic, but has an actual D type stock. For some reason, the left side of the upper receiver has a hold drilled in it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Very interesting!  If he actually did recover a real aluminum lower, I wonder to what extent it was milled.  May have been legal if it was never milled into a firearm and never registered.
View Quote

It was fully milled out and functional. He said that the auto sear hole was bored out to the size of a dime, but it would still be illegal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It was fully milled out and functional. He said that the auto sear hole was bored out to the size of a dime, but it would still be illegal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once a machine gun always a machine gun..
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a M16A1 Rubber Duck that has a CK forge code upper receiver (1972-73) assembly with a C MP C stamped barrel that has been plugged. The lower hard plastic, but has an actual D type stock. For some reason, the left side of the upper receiver has a hold drilled in it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/004_JPG-1336868.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/010_JPG-1336874.JPG
View Quote

cool!
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

A stupid rule/social construct the government created
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

In that case it likely would be illegal.  Bet it was hard for him to cut up!!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In that case it likely would be illegal.  Bet it was hard for him to cut up!!!!
View Quote

I have cut up three MP-40’s, four MP-44’s, two Thompsons, two Jap type 99’s, three XM16E1’s, two Panzerschrecks, one Jap knee mortar, and the most painful: an FG-42.  ALL of them involved GREAT stories.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have cut up three MP-40’s, four MP-44’s, two Thompsons, two Jap type 99’s, three XM16E1’s, two Panzerschrecks, one Jap knee mortar, and the most painful: an FG-42.  ALL of them involved GREAT stories.
View Quote

Ouch!!!   Living in Kalifornia I never get a chance to even look at anything good.  I think I may have bought a few things from you on GB over the years!

Have a great weekend!
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know if that would be true though because the demilled lowers would then technically be illegal to assemble into a functional firearm. You're taking a part of a machine gun lower and welding it to a semi auto.

If you can do that, then why couldn't the military drill out the auto sear hole such that you can't put a sear into it, and sell it to the public?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't know if that would be true though because the demilled lowers would then technically be illegal to assemble into a functional firearm. You're taking a part of a machine gun lower and welding it to a semi auto.

If you can do that, then why couldn't the military drill out the auto sear hole such that you can't put a sear into it, and sell it to the public?
View Quote

You can use a “part” of a “functionally destroyed” machinegun to build a semi auto weapon as long as it does not have a full auto function, or be “readily converted” into a full auto.  A mag well is just a part of a destroyed machinegun.  If they drill out the auto sear hole, the “receiver” has never been destroyed.  An M2 carbine receiver IS NO DIFFERENT than an M1 carbine receiver, but it is illegal to own an unregistered M2 even if it has no full auto parts attached to it, because “once a machinegun, ALWAYS a machinegun”.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
plus you don't ruin a rubber duck that someone else may want for their retro collection.  
View Quote
I carried enough of them over the years in different configurations that I never wanted one when they were cheap, easily found, and it was easy to build a firing replica. Now I wish I had a whole set.

I did find a Chinese AK a few years back along with this Beretta M9, but those are my only ducks.

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I carried enough of them over the years in different configurations that I never wanted one when they were cheap, easily found, and it was easy to build a firing replica. Now I wish I had a whole set.

I did find a Chinese AK a few years back along with this Beretta M9, but those are my only ducks.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/m9-693006.jpg
View Quote

Nice M9, I wonder what the story is on the pistol. How did you come across that? Any real parts on it?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nice M9, I wonder what the story is on the pistol. How did you come across that? Any real parts on it?
View Quote
I bought it on a forum quite a few years ago, maybe this one or Lightfighter. It seems to be solid resin.

I'm guessing some O-6 or above got tired of running around with empty holsters on training exercises and had TASC make some up.

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought it on a forum quite a few years ago, maybe this one or Lightfighter. It seems to be solid resin.

I'm guessing some O-6 or above got tired of running around with empty holsters on training exercises and had TASC make some up.

View Quote

I wonder if they ever made .45’s before the Beretta?  As far as rubber ducks go, I have a couple of the Beretta pistols, an AK, several different varieties of the M16, and an M14, but I have never seen a .45.  My M14 is the only GI rubber duck M14 that I have seen.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wonder if they ever made .45’s before the Beretta?  As far as rubber ducks go, I have a couple of the Beretta pistols, an AK, several different varieties of the M16, and an M14, but I have never seen a .45.  My M14 is the only GI rubber duck M14 that I have seen.
View Quote

Did not know that there were collectors for the ducks.  I just picked up an M16A1 and a Colt 45 1911.  Most of the ducks I've seen are pretty beat up!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

That practice always intrigued me..
I really can’t understand from a legal point of view how are you allowed to take a demilled piece and turn it into a SA gun using the original serial number & mfg markings.
But I’m happy you can satisfy your retro needs
Over here it’s legal for the importer with a mfg license to convert a FA into a SA; my StG58, Glilon, M16A1 are all original. A good friend even own a Stg44.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That practice always intrigued me..
I really can’t understand from a legal point of view how are you allowed to take a demilled piece and turn it into a SA gun using the original serial number & mfg markings.
But I’m happy you can satisfy your retro needs
Over here it’s legal for the importer with a mfg license to convert a FA into a SA; my StG58, Glilon, M16A1 are all original. A good friend even own a Stg44.
View Quote

The magwells that are being spliced to the back half of 80% lowers were from weapons that were ordered demilled/destroyed by the US military.  The serial number of each weapon was written down and the weapon was subsequently destroyed; therefore, there would no serial number for the weapon reflecting it as and active machine gun.  After the weapon was destroyed, the magwell was not considered anything more than a piece of junk.  These weapons were destroyed under earlier guidelines by cutting the lower receiver in two which was the legal procedure at the time.  The current guidelines require three cuts through the lower receiver including the magwell or crushing it into pieces.  The drilling out of the the sear hole would likely not be considered a legal method of demilling a weapon, in fact, they would not have destroyed the weapon since it could be fired in a semi-automatic mode and the serial number would still likely consider the weapon as an active machine gun.  Just my two bits.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The magwells that are being spliced to the back half of 80% lowers were from weapons that were ordered demilled/destroyed by the US military.  The serial number of each weapon was written down and the weapon was subsequently destroyed; therefore, there would no serial number for the weapon reflecting it as and active machine gun.  After the weapon was destroyed, the magwell was not considered anything more than a piece of junk.  These weapons were destroyed under earlier guidelines by cutting the lower receiver in two which was the legal procedure at the time.  The current guidelines require three cuts through the lower receiver including the magwell or crushing it into pieces.  The drilling out of the the sear hole would likely not be considered a legal method of demilling a weapon, in fact, they would not have destroyed the weapon since it could be fired in a semi-automatic mode and the serial number would still likely consider the weapon as an active machine gun.  Just my two bits.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top