Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2022 7:06:46 PM EDT
Looking around a few years ago, folks were selling 1k canned on stripper clips straight from the factory.

What would someone want or need a full can of tracer rounds? Is this rare or a gimmick? Worth anything?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard of people putting 1 round for the next to last round in your mag so you know when you're almost out. Other than that I don't see a real use for it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What would someone want or need a full can of tracer rounds? Is this rare or a gimmick? Worth anything?
View Quote

Not particularly rare, although it's not something you can usually just walk down to wally world and buy.

Folks with full autos who do a lot of night shoots (e.g. Knob Creek and the like) might want to keep that much on hand for "ooh-aah!" visual displays. I did a full 200 round belt of all tracer out of an M60 at a night shoot once - though that was back when ammo was a lot cheaper and a lot easier to source. Sure was purty.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Still have some, but not much use for it in my life
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a few boxes of 64gr red tips.  They have never been fired (not too many places allow them to be used).   I hope they work because I have them staggered in my D60.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
There is definitely a “cool” factor to tracer rounds.

Not much practicality in most recreational shooting as the rounds take around 100yds before they light up

And aren’t very noticeable in full daylight

However, if you are shooting long range at dusk... it is impressive to visually see how fast and how far a round moves in real life,

And also how much they ricochet when they hit something.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
As above, because they light up beyond 100yds they aren't as useful at most shooting ranges. There are other tracers that do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Useful? I've had 60rds since 2010.
I'm not starting wildfires.......
They are in 2 GI mags that will become my last ditch effort ammo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]
At one point in time I loaded several mags with tracer ammo as a countdown method.

It's been so long ago that I don't even know which mags they are now.  

I wouldn't search them out to buy these days personally.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At one point in time I loaded several mags with tracer ammo as a countdown method.

It's been so long ago that I don't even know which mags they are now.  

I wouldn't search them out to buy these days personally.
View Quote

LOL yeah somewhere in the stack, I have probably 10 mags with them at like #2 to empty.  Daylight they were nearly useless, and the range I usually shot at didn't allow them, so I lost track.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not starting wildfires.......
View Quote

They are pretty good at staring grass fires. I learned only to use them at shoots where they have fire services on standby, or if it's actually raining or there's deep snow on the ground. I live in the Mountain West, though - they're probably fine in like, Florida or Vietnam or the Amazon rainforest.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
The newer ones I have shot don't lihjt off till 75 to 100 yards. 100 yard range shooting won't give you much burn time. Have heard people complain the tracers are bad because they "didn't light". I love to watch them burn! Just need a place to do it with a long open area.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got quite a few, both in boxes and some I delinked from a couple nutsacks I bought.

They start fires.  Easily.  The last time I got some out of the stash because a buddy wanted to shoot a couple.  He was just curious.  So he fired 1 round into a tree stump about 150yds out.  It caught fire very quickly and ended up burning 12 acres of pasture.

Point is, I won't buy any more.  I don't have a real purpose for them and I don't want a repeat of the above scenario.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I heard of people putting 1 round for the next to last round in your mag so you know when you're almost out. Other than that I don't see a real use for it.
View Quote

I think I have 4 or 5 boxes and I thought about something like this would be the most practical use.

It was fun at dusk shooting and I realized bullets bounce off water when I shot at a pond.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless you’re directing a fireteam or squads base of fire at specific targets or desiring to set something on fire 100+ yards from you I’d say “no”.

Misuse of them is bad ju-ju, exercise caution using them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#17]
They can be fun.  Works two ways however.

CD
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Tracers are best used in full autos, where you use them to walk the rounds to your target.  I personally wouldn’t have a need for tracers in any of my semi autos.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There is definitely a “cool” factor to tracer rounds.

Not much practicality in most recreational shooting as the rounds take around 100yds before they light up

And aren’t very noticeable in full daylight

However, if you are shooting long range at dusk... it is impressive to visually see how fast and how far a round moves in real life,

And also how much they ricochet when they hit something.
View Quote

This. I have a much more solid respect for a good backstop when hunting after doing a couple night machine gun ranges.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I really want some just to have them.

Not sure when I would ever shoot them as I live in AZ.  Dont want to start a fire.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top