Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2018 12:09:26 AM EDT
Picked up a KAC/MOE pistol kit from PSA. Put about 260 rounds of mixed ammo through it yesterday and am quite happy with the shooting. These shots are double taps at 25,

Attachment Attached File

I'm thinking of an optic now, looking at the PA Cyclops, or maybe the micro red dot (either on a 1/3 high mount)

What do y'all zero your pistols at? Is there a 50/250 equivalent for a 10.5" 5.56

What are the options to get a light forward?

Probably going to go with a 1 point sling but need a new end plate.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Picked up a KAC/MOE pistol kit from PSA. Put about 260 rounds of mixed ammo through it yesterday and am quite happy with the shooting. These shots are double taps at 25,

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55313/091384A3-6A0F-4B76-AD43-8A0DD64C6D5D_jpeg-752308.JPG

I'm thinking of an optic now, looking at the PA Cyclops, or maybe the micro red dot (either on a 1/3 high mount)

What do y'all zero your pistols at? Is there a 50/250 equivalent for a 10.5" 5.56

View Quote
That's solid, minute-of-man at 25; what were you shooting?
50/200 is a good realistic zero. I work for the BOR and we use it on our 9" 300BLKs. It's workable.

I use a Cloud/Streamlight on my personal pistol, Arisaka is another good one with plenty of M-LOK options.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55313/091384A3-6A0F-4B76-AD43-8A0DD64C6D5D_jpeg-752308.JPG

View Quote
Yes.
It's 50/250.

Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice shooting and good looking build!

View Quote
What will it be used for? Range rig either of those should work, if it's going to be a duty gun I'd recommend stepping up to at least something like an Aimpoint ACO.

View Quote
Arisaka, Haley Strategic Thorntail, or Arson Machine are where I'd go for light mounts.

View Quote
[youtube]xIrKd5O5XFs?t=50[/youtube]

0:50-1:13.

"A lot of single point slings I despise, because they were just designed by a feminist to hit you in the junk"

Blue Force Gear, Ferro Concepts Slingerster, Edgar Sherman Design, Vickers, Haley Strategic, or Frank Proctor Way Of The Gun are all great sling options. I'll be picking up some ESD slings next.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's solid, minute-of-man at 25; what were you shooting?
50/250 is a good realistic zero. I work for the BOR and we use it on our 9" 300BLKs. It's workable.

I use a Cloud/Streamlight on my personal pistol, Arisaka is another good one with plenty of M-LOK options.
View Quote
I was really pleased with the accuracy, that group is offhand double taps 2-3 seconds per. When I was zeroing I got rounds to touch. I zeroed and shot about 160 rounds of IMI 193 and about 100 rounds of monarch 55g.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
To answer the "what is it used for"

Righ now now it's something to play with, but if it performs it's gonna be my travel/truck gun, which kinda makes it my primary SHTF gun. I don't baby my stuff so, if it enters that role I will trust it.

Traveling  is why I think I want to try the cyclops prism on it. I've got one of their 3x prisms that I have come to trust. Straight red dots like my Aimpoint are getting a little harder to use.

I only like one point on SBRs while wearing a plate carrier, all my slings can be used either or.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes.
It's 50/250.

View Quote
I keep hearing that, just doesn't make sense to me. It just seems like velocity loss would affect the billet arc.

Like it should be 50/150 or so.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I keep hearing that, just doesn't make sense to me. It just seems like velocity loss would affect the billet arc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
It's 50/250.

That's closer to accurate. It depends on the load, obviously... but my 10.3" zeroed at 50y shooting Wolf Gold is about 50/185.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd have to run the numbers.

50 works for a 14.5 ( it might be ~225).
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#10]
found this

looks like about 50/150-180. It's dropping pretty significantly by 200.

I'll still zero at 50, but it's impor to know the end of the arc.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes.
It's 50/250.

View Quote
Whoops, just caught that, 50/200. I'm already having a long week.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:It's dropping pretty significantly by 200.

I'll still zero at 50, but it's impor to know the end of the arc.
View Quote
About 180 depending on gun. Using M193 from a 10.5" about 3" down at 225 - so pretty much point/click interface out to that distance if you do your part. Get onto one of the online ballistic calculators after chrono'ing your combo and it will tell you.
Above based on some actual MV's of ~2675 for a 10.5"  50yd zero is a good working zero for such a rifle, er, pistol.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh,  yeah btw... love the simplicity of that build with just the DD fixed rear, and absent 5 extra lbs. of Puzzle-palace-driven "lightweight" stuff hung out on the nose. I'll bet that handles like butter.

Curious: Was your point of aim the center of the square, or did you hold it atop the front sight post?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh,  yeah btw... love the simplicity of that build with just the DD fixed rear, and absent 5 extra lbs. of Puzzle-palace-driven "lightweight" stuff hung out on the nose. I'll bet that handles like butter.

Curious: Was your point of aim the center of the square, or did you hold it atop the front sight post?
View Quote
I'm not gonna lie, it handles like a dream.  I'm thinking of all the crap that needs to go on it to make it "modern;" optic, light, IR laser and it breaks my heart.  I'm trying to channel 17 year old me that felt capable of defending the country with a stock M16A1.

That group was double taps so as soon as I saw the square in the sights I was shooting.  When I zeroed it, aiming at the center (2" post it note) I was touching the bottom of the square.  So, 1" low at 25.

I'll live with that zero and should be able to get hits to 200, which is more than I expect to ever need to use it.

I plan to do another day of drills with it and shoot a match or two as it is.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm not gonna lie, it handles like a dream.  I'm thinking of all the crap that needs to go on it to make it "modern;" optic, light, IR laser and it breaks my heart.  I'm trying to channel 17 year old me that felt capable of defending the country with a stock M16A1.

That group was double taps so as soon as I saw the square in the sights I was shooting.  When I zeroed it, aiming at the center (2" post it note) I was touching the bottom of the square.  So, 1" low at 25.

I'll live with that zero and should be able to get hits to 200, which is more than I expect to ever need to use it.

I plan to do another day of drills with it and shoot a match or two as it is.
View Quote
Yeah, often it isn't the weight by itself, it's where it is. (I hate nose-heavy guns.)
One of the solutions for that is to channel your inner 17-yo and PT your ass off. :)

Get anal for one range session, nail your 50 yd zero, good out to 220 or so. And then go play hard.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I use $150 micro dots on almost all of my AR’s/AK’s. Primary Arms Advanced Push Button is probably my favorite, but they are all good. I thought I’d try a Holosun, since all of them are basically made at the Holosun factory, and it is all the same except the glass is not as clear as all the others.

I zero at 25yds simply because I don’t need a spotting scope to see my hits. I just make sure it is hitting about 2” low at 25, which should be a out the same as a 50yd zero.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Put another 140 rounds through it today, old reload stuff with Dillon grease on it.  I'm working through all the type of ammo it might ever have to shoot to determine reliability, no issues so far with quality XM193, Monarch or the reloads.

The screw that locks the arm brace worked loose today and I ended up shooting it all the way in as I didn't have an Allen wrench.

Next trip out I plan to do some accuracy stuff, out to maybe 200.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:30:07 AM EDT
[#18]
My AR pistol, I use a Holosun HS515BU red dot with the 65 circle dot (same as an EoTech).  Instant on, auto off, flip up covers, kill flash, protected adjustment knobs, extra long battery life, QD mount and works great.  An under $200 sight easily.  I used to use a Shockwave but switched over to the SBA3 and am far happier with that as its adjustable and has a great cheek weld platform.  Those can be found for around $100.  The light I use is a S&W M&P light with the Mlok mount and remote pressure switch.  Very bright and light weight and works extremely good, very solid mount and around $60-70 or so.  All of these would work great on a pistol no matter the usage, but are extra good for a truck gun as they won't break the bank.  You can be into all 3 accessories for $300-350 if you do some online searching.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have my 8.5" blackout zeroed at 25 yards now with a Vortex Crossfire on it. Nice little red dot. I am thinking of going to a 50 yard though so the 50/200 will work as I have my 3 gun AR set up this way.

Looking for a light for mine too. Will be used for HD so want to find something decent.
View Quote
That 25 yard zero is really lobbing that bullet high if you are talking supersonic. Its going to be bad high at 100.

Eta 25 yd zero with tac tx

Much flatter trajectory over 200 yard effective range
50 yd zero with tac tx 110 gr
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I need to wait till after Christmas for light and optic, but I'm thinking the PA advanced microdot in a 1/3 mount. Light probable a g2 in a mount n slot scout mount.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Magpul M-LOK Cantilever Rail/Light Mount works well on a setup like that. Gets the light out closer to the front sight base to avoid getting a shadow. I don't have any high speed, low drag lights like many here so I just mount a Streamlight TLR-1 on that railed section.

Oh.. and nice looking build!

ETA: I have the "cheaper?" Primary Arms Micro. Not the Advanced? It seems to be well made, feels solid. I don't think I'd trust it like an Aimpoint or Trijicon but its plenty good for plinking.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Magpul M-LOK Cantilever Rail/Light Mount works well on a setup like that. Gets the light out closer to the front sight base to avoid getting a shadow. I don't have any high speed, low drag lights like many here so I just mount a Streamlight TLR-1 on that railed section.

Oh.. and nice looking build!

ETA: I have the "cheaper?" Primary Arms Micro. Not the Advanced? It seems to be well made, feels solid. I don't think I'd trust it like an Aimpoint or Trijicon but its plenty good for plinking.
View Quote
I have that mount and a light to go on it, but it is loose in the MOE slot, I did not know mlok and MOE slots were slightly different.

I own aimpoints. Even had to send one back. The abuse I've seen the primary arms stuff go through I'm gonna test it hard and decide for myself. None of my guns are just for plinking.

Once I decide to trust it this is the gun likely to travel with me and be accessible in the house, as apposed to my SBR with all the high end shit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Put another 14 rounds through it today, old reload stuff with Dillon grease on it.  I'm working through all the type of ammo it might ever have to shoot to determine reliability, no issues so far with quality XM193, Monarch or the reloads.

The screw that locks the arm brace worked loose today and I ended up shooting it all the way in as I didn't have an Allen wrench.

View Quote
Replace the stock Shockwave screw with this from Amazon and be able to tighten / loosen / adjust it with a coin.  I did just that and put a nickel in the grip wrapped in a silicone gun rag.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Replace the stock Shockwave screw with this from Amazon and be able to tighten / loosen / adjust it with a coin.  I did just that and put a nickel in the grip wrapped in a silicone gun rag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put another 14 rounds through it today, old reload stuff with Dillon grease on it.  I'm working through all the type of ammo it might ever have to shoot to determine reliability, no issues so far with quality XM193, Monarch or the reloads.

LOL read my quote and that should have been 140 rounds.

Yes that looks like a pretty good idea.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Went through another 120 rounds shooting drills today. Got the stock problem fixed. Had one FTE/double feed with monarch steel out of a steel magazine. That's the first malfunction.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Went through another 120 rounds shooting drills today. Got the stock problem fixed. Had one FTE/double feed with monarch steel out of a steel magazine. That's the first malfunction.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55313/81F431F2-6AAB-4A91-8E5E-2E92B455B90C_jpeg-766585.JPG
View Quote
Most likely the magazine, but an H or better yet an H2 buffer seems to work better in pistols.  I have H2's in my 16", 10.5" and 7.5" AR's and all work well.  Delays the extraction a tiny bit to reduce chamber pressure and does better on chambering rounds with the the heavier weights.  Also make sure you have an o-ring on your extractor spring.  That makes a difference.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Shot it a match with it today and forgot the cardinal rule of irons (check your aperture) and was dead last because of my long range performance. But I tried some 100 yard steel with it (12" and 6") and went 30 for 30 benchrested. Entirely my fuckup. I had the doublefeed again so an h2 buffer is in order.

660 rounds so far
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Edited: didn't realize this was an update bumped thread....
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#30]
On the slung issue, I actually carry my 300BLK around the woods hunting. When I'm hiking the two point sling is great. But when I take a stand or get on a tree seat, I like to switch over to a one point attachment. I feel like I can get in awkward shooting positions a lot easier and faster with just a single point attachment.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Had an IR WML lying around.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Got a gift card this AM and now I'm thinking optics.

Front runner is PSA advanced microdot in their lower 1/3 mount.  I like the Cyclops but it won't (I don't think) work with NODs. I know I'm gonna die come SHTF, but I've seen a million good reviews including torture tests and I love the durability of my 2.5 prism (I call my poorcog) and the fact that they have a lifetime warranty. And, after all, I have BUIS.

Looking for any input.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Seems you like dots of the lower price variety.
I think you would do very well with an Aimpoint PRO, CompM2 or maybe a CompM4 if you're feelin frisky.
These things show up in great condition for great prices all day and the quality is top tier.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a DP Pro (triangle model) on one AR pistol (.223).  It also has a single point sling attached to the plate at the back of the receiver/front of the buffer tube.

I have one of the new PA red dots with the 50,000 hour battery life on the other (.223) AR pistol.  Same sling set up.

The 9MM AR pistol has the same PA red dot and sling set up but no light.

The two .223's have a light at 9 o'clock on the end of the free float tube.

You don't have a free float tube but they do make those light mounts that clamp inside the front sight like you have.  I have one on a XM177 clone.  The light would have to be at 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock and a bit higher than if mounted to the free float tube.

I sight mine in to hit 1.5" low at 25 yds., just like the carbines.  So far, I've never shot them farther than 25 yds.  So far I've only shot 55 grain FMJBT through them, well, through all of my AR15's.  It's cheap and it works.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I shoot 9mm PCC for competition and had a Vortex SPARC and Spitfire lying around when I built my 5.56 "truck gun"... tried both and they worked well, but like you have a fixed front sight post, and really like the standard carry handle fixed sight for being considerably more rugged... the Spitfire has the reticle etched on the prism, and would be my choice for long term sight as it is visible even if the battery dies....unlike you, I don't have a blade, just a 8 1/2" tube and rubber end cap, and the large aperture sight comes up on target very well...  off a bag at 100yd it holds 5 under 4" with M193, and half that with 69 Sierra Australian Outback using the open sights... it shot a little better than that with the Spitfire and its smaller center dot

my MK18 has the 1.5x16 ACOG, but I'm too cheap to spring for another one
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top