Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2023 11:05:09 PM EDT
Daughter wanted to do a youth hunt for white tail deer.  So I got her a gun ready.  I've owned this AR for about 18 years never had any problems with it no matter what cheap ammo or mag I used.  

I bought a new free float hand guard to replace the old quad rail that was on it.  I needed to change the gas block to a low profile block.  I had one that I took off of a gun that I installed a adjustable gas block on to because it was over gassed.  I broke the punch trying to get the pin out of the original gas block for the gas tube so I bought a new one from Scheels and installed it.  I slide the bolt carrier in the receiver without the bolt with no hangups. I used my SLR gas block dimpling jig to put a dimple in the barrel to make sure that gas block was lined up with the gas port.

I also purchased a new scope that I had to sight in so I grabbed some cheap rounds and some hunting rounds to dial it in with.  Used the cheap rounds to get it close and noticed it wouldn't lock back.  Changed mags same thing.  Put hunting rounds in and same thing. It never once failed to chamber a new round.  Gun was clean before the sight in.

What would be the issue?  The low profile gas block that came from the over gassed gun, the new gas tube, or something else I'm over looking?

She did get a Fork buck on the hunt.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#1]
From your description, it sounds like it's cycling correctly, but perhaps not. Could be the bolt catch?

Where is it ejecting?
How many rounds total on the rifle?
Have you examined the BCG?
Are their signs of leaking around the gas block journal or gas tube?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Disregard, I suck at reading.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
A ghetto way to check the gas block is to trombone the upper.  Cup your hand around the muzzle device, block the chamber with a rag/your hand, and flute the gas tube with your finger while you blow down the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From your description, it sounds like it's cycling correctly, but perhaps not. Could be the bolt catch?

Where is it ejecting?
How many rounds total on the rifle?
Have you examined the BCG?
Are their signs of leaking around the gas block journal or gas tube?
View Quote
Bolt catch looks normal no marks on it.  Manually works without any catches.

At the time I was just sighting in  the scope and didn't really look where it was ejecting about 2-3 o'clock, maybe 4.  There was lots of empty's around.
Maybe 5,000 rounds
Didn't see anything abnormal
There is a very little bit of gas where the tube goes into the block.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A ghetto way to check the gas block is to trombone the upper.  Cup your hand around the muzzle device, block the chamber with a rag/your hand, and flute the gas tube with your finger while you blow down the barrel.
View Quote
Did this and when I plugged the gas tube I didn't feel any air escaping.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Disregard, I suck at reading.
View Quote
But you don't suck in the EE!
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you also put a new gas tube in?  I'm not 100% clear if you did from your op.  If not maybe a piece of the roll pin fell into the gas tube & jammed partially, enough to cycle a round, but not enough to push it back far enough to activate the bolt catch after the last round?
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you also put a new gas tube in?  I'm not 100% clear if you did from your op.  If not maybe a piece of the roll pin fell into the gas tube & jammed partially, enough to cycle a round, but not enough to push it back far enough to activate the bolt catch after the last round?
View Quote

Yes I also had to get a new gas tube.  I couldn't get the pin out of the old gas block.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Change the buffer spring to one a half an inch shorter
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you get rid of the handguard retainer and shift the gas block, which misaligned the port?
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did you get rid of the handguard retainer and shift the gas block, which misaligned the port?
View Quote
I used the SLR dimple tool to set my gas block.  it looks like it was to tight to the shoulder so I rechecked it and it was good. I used this same tool to put a adjustable gas block on a different gun and it works correctly. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I never read anything about using the adjusting screw on the adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I never read anything about using the adjusting screw on the adjustable gas block.
View Quote
Sorry if I didn't make it clear for you guys. The adjustable gas block is on a different gun. I used the same dimpling tool on this gun to find the position for the gas block that I did on that gun.  The other gun with the adjustable gas block works perfectly.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#14]
try a different clamp on gas block and fresh gas tube.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#15]
A gun with excessive bolt speed (read: over gassed) can outrun the magazine and cause failure to lock back on empty issues with hotter ammo driving the carrier faster.

I'd try some other mags and see if that's it.

AGB's are naturally less efficient than fixed/ non-adjustable blocks, so seeing them leak and cause short stroking isn't uncommon.  Your new gas tube could be less efficient too (the bulb could be sealing poorly against the gas key).
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top