Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2020 7:38:19 PM EDT
Thinking of getting one an was wondering what have been people experience with their durability has been? What kind of round counts do you have on them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#1]
From the other shooters I met at the range I belong to, the T91 works over well and accurate. For something that is at a 500 average price point, that's a good bang for the buck.

Since, it is based off of the Taiwan military rifle. That's 30+ years of usage. Or you go back to the T65 origins, then that's about 50 years of abuse.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]

I really enjoy mine.  For the money I don't have any complaints, and it eats cheap steel case Ammo quite well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My Wolf A1 before I sold it to my friend to fund another project had about 1k rds through it and I'm sure my buddy has put another 1k without issues. My T91Tactical 14.5" upper hasn't seen more than 100 rds or so thanks to the ranges being closed, but I've had no issues with it and don't expect to either. If you can pick one up for cheap, I think it's well worth the investment and also a piece of Taiwanese history.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/B11C8448-57D4-4E76-BA72-106A996C1A54-942268.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/79F9AA6F-EBC8-4A3B-9F21-5DBD64E23839-1031224.jpg

I really enjoy mine.  For the money I don't have any complaints, and it eats cheap steel case Ammo quite well.
View Quote

What rear sight do you use? looks great!
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What rear sight do you use? looks great!
View Quote
Thank you

I really enjoy the rugged, overbuilt simplicity of the LaRue Tactical LT103 rear iron, and have several of them on my fixed iron sight rifles; without the QD lever (tool-tightened only), they're only $71 or so, and I doubt I'll be taking off a rear sight in a hurry.  

It's not as "correct" for a number of builds, but I'm a "set it and forget it" shooter, so they work quite well, and I prefer their sight picture (for fixed rears) over the other options on the market.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Had mine for a while now and after 3000+ rounds of mainly cheap Tula ammo is still a great gun to shoot, just keep the gas system clean if you shoot Tula ammo.
Tula is cheap and super dirty but this upper loves it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one of the original 12" (before they started importing the 12.5") barreled uppers when they first came in. I enjoy it but i have a few complaints:

1) The front hand guard/pin is Extremely tight/hard to remove and replace, so much so that I don't even bother.
2) The upper is super gassy and I get a fair amount of blowback unsuppressed, more than any of my other shorty DI bois.
3) I have noticed carrier tilt damage to the buffer tube.

Non-issue: Not required, but you'll want to get the appropriate t-91 rear sight for the right POA/POI using the front sight (this may have changed in later imports, you'll have to look into it).

That being said, I still like it. And even if I didn't, I'm half Taiwanese and I'm legally obligated to do so

Anyone else experiences carrier tilt?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Question for all you guys that have the T91 upper. How does it balance? Does the upper make the gun really nose heavy? I handled a Sig 516 and didn't like how hefty it was. Mostly of the weigh was likly due to the quad rail.

I have a PWS and an LWRC and like how they balance and handle. Thinking of adding a t91 14.5 in to my collection. Was debating about this and an Adams Arms.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rpearl:
I bought one of the original 12" (before they started importing the 12.5") barreled uppers when they first came in. I enjoy it but i have a few complaints: 

1) The front hand guard/pin is Extremely tight/hard to remove and replace, so much so that I don't even bother.
2) The upper is super gassy and I get a fair amount of blowback unsuppressed, more than any of my other shorty DI bois.
3) I have noticed carrier tilt damage to the buffer tube.

Non-issue: Not required, but you'll want to get the appropriate t-91 rear sight for the right POA/POI using the front sight (this may have changed in later imports, you'll have to look into it).

That being said, I still like it. And even if I didn't, I'm half Taiwanese and I'm legally obligated to do so 

Anyone else experiences carrier tilt?
View Quote

i have a 14.5.
my front HG pin is not super tight. normal. not loosy goosey either. just right.  i took it apart, put it back together, didn't notice that.
haven't decided yet what MD to attach, so not P&W yet, haven't shot it yet.
i installed buffer tubes with the extended lip on all my lowers, whether DI or piston.  I see some wear marks on the lip from the piston carriers, but not what I would call damage.  Indicates that the lip is doing it's job.  I keep that area well greased.

I have a Sig 516 upper, a Caracal piston upper, and a lot of AA uppers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Question for all you guys that have the T91 upper. How does it balance? Does the upper make the gun really nose heavy? I handled a Sig 516 and didn't like how hefty it was. Mostly of the weigh was likly due to the quad rail.

I have a PWS and an LWRC and like how they balance and handle. Thinking of adding a t91 14.5 in to my collection. Was debating about this and an Adams Arms.
View Quote

I thought the 16" Wolf version I had felt a little bit nose heavy compared to my BCM 16", but my 14.5" T91 does not.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By rpearl:
I bought one of the original 12" (before they started importing the 12.5") barreled uppers when they first came in. I enjoy it but i have a few complaints: 

1) The front hand guard/pin is Extremely tight/hard to remove and replace, so much so that I don't even bother.
2) The upper is super gassy and I get a fair amount of blowback unsuppressed, more than any of my other shorty DI bois.
3) I have noticed carrier tilt damage to the buffer tube.

Non-issue: Not required, but you'll want to get the appropriate t-91 rear sight for the right POA/POI using the front sight (this may have changed in later imports, you'll have to look into it).

That being said, I still like it. And even if I didn't, I'm half Taiwanese and I'm legally obligated to do so 

Anyone else experiences carrier tilt?
View Quote

How to tell the carrier tilt issue?
I have 16" & 12.5" T91 uppers and not seen any abnormal wear yet. Probably I shoot too less.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I thought the 16" Wolf version I had felt a little bit nose heavy compared to my BCM 16", but my 14.5" T91 does not.
View Quote
Now that you mention it, my 14.5" P&W is excellently balanced.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I like mine, it is a T91 clone.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like mine, awesome upper for the money. Very happy with it and am glad I bought mine
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve had my 14.5” upper about 3 weeks now. I’ve got 150 rds through it and I didn’t clean the oil off it beforehand. I did have some teething issues during the initial 100rd break in. Specifically, it wouldn’t lock back on an empty mag and wouldn’t pick up a new round occasionally. This was with a standard carbine buffer and spring. Now I’m able to use an h2 buffer without any problems.

The other issue I had is the front sight was very loose and gave me fits when trying to zero it. I was using a quality A2 carry handle rear and I didn’t have any issues with the front sight height. I put a 1-4x vortex on it and I’m getting about 2 moa 9-shot groups.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone know where we can get actual T91 mags? I saw this site but they only sell to dealers?
https://linemount.com/products-t91-magazines/
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Here one I just got put together.  I think I'm going to like it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does anyone know where we can get actual T91 mags? I saw this site but they only sell to dealers?
View Quote

T91 tactical has them every now and then.  I think they are $25.00 each.

Regards
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

as another poster had said: www.t91tactical.com has them
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

as another poster had said: www.t91tactical.com has them
View Quote
Re: T91Tactical, they seem like good people.

I ordered a replacement polymer handguard, so I can paint one FDE and have a space in case I break it or need to sell the upper.  It was supposed to arrive several weeks ago, and USPS seems to have lost it.  After 10 days of that handguard being in a tracking black hole, I emailed T91Tactical just to let them know, and let them know I still wanted the handguard but that it hadn't arrived, and I saw they were OOS on the website.  They mailed me another unit via FedEx, and said to mail the first one back if it ever shows up .  (Obviously I would mail it back, I'm not a thief).

They're good people.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#21]
They are good people, They were OOS on their website for the T91 stock and buffer tube and the owner emailed me and sold me one. Never a bad experience in my book.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#22]
T91 Tactical now has Taiwan military uppers.  I got one of the 14.5 pinned to go with my Wolf upper and it is nicer than the Wolf.  I also use the buffer found on the T91 Tactical site.  It prevents carrier tilt.  You have to remove both pins and slide the upper forward to separate the upper and lower, but no worry's about carrier tilt with the buffer.  E-mail the owner to get one of the uppers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I ordered a Wolf A1 16 inch barrel upper today.    I'm looking forward to getting it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Mine only has a few hundred rounds through it but it has been uber reliable so far.

12" Wolf upper, T91 Tactical rear sight. pistol grip, and butt stock kit. I designed and printed my own pistol brace.

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mine only has a few hundred rounds through it but it has been uber reliable so far.

12" Wolf upper, T91 Tactical rear sight. pistol grip, and butt stock kit. I designed and printed my own pistol brace.

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/CF736FDA-5A3C-46E9-9DF6-5DE87FF7957B-scaled.jpeg

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/69B084AD-BA7D-454D-93C3-C970E6AB6B0B-scaled.jpeg
View Quote

That brace is badass.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#26]
BigRix, I really like your T91 Pistol Brace

Please let me know if you are going to make some.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Got my upper in the mail yesterday!

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Atlantic has (at this writing) all three lengths in stock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's where I got mine. Ordered on Tuesday, got it yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Love my T91 clone...
I have a 12 inch one ready to build into a pistol...

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Lil' flare, lol.

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up, I ordered a 14.5" today.

What length barrel does the Taiwanese military use?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up, I ordered a 14.5" today.

What length barrel does the Taiwanese military use?
View Quote

The 16" barrel I believe.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The 16" barrel I believe.
View Quote

Thanks, mine arrived today, looks like tomorrow will be a pin & weld day
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Personally, my Wolf upper has been nothing but trouble, and Wolf has been impossible to get in contact with to fix it.  Something or things are out of spec and it cant chamber live ammo, so I'm less than thrilled.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#36]
When I first got mine, I was having failures to extract due to the chamber being tight. I did a web search and found others who had the same issue. Polishing the chamber was suggested so I put a old bore brush (38 cal?) on a section of cleaning rod, loaded it with metal polish and spun it with a drill. After that I had a few FTE, but after about 100 rds it has been flawless with brass ammo since. I am running an Adams BCG and keeping the original as a spare. I have about 1k rounds on it so far. Fairly accurate with irons. I stuck it on a generic lower with a A2 stock. Taiwanese carry handle from eBay. Haven't decided whether or not to leave it black. Can't bring myself to paint the M6A2 but probably will. It is going to be my primary carbine.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Personally, my Wolf upper has been nothing but trouble, and Wolf has been impossible to get in contact with to fix it.  Something or things are out of spec and it cant chamber live ammo, so I'm less than thrilled.
View Quote

Do they not answer their toll free number? Wolf is owned by Sporting Supplies International Inc. which is incorporated in California. I found this info on them through the CA Sec of State website.

STEVEN HOWARD
27442 PORTOLA PARKWAY #155
FOOTHILL RANCH CA 92610
Entity Address:1225 N. LANCE LANE
ANAHEIM CA 92806
Entity Mailing Address:1225 N. LANCE LANE
ANAHEIM CA 92806

Compose a short and polite letter to this person directly at both addresses stating your problems. Use a word processor and format it like a business letter. Use your printer to print the envelope for greater effect. Put "Personal and confidential" on it and in the letter tell him that you wanted to make sure that your concerns weren't just put into the hands of customer service because they haven't been responsive.

I have used this tactic with great success.

Can you check the headspace or is that a no go?

I would be tempted to have the chamber finish reamed if Wolf doesn't fix it. Or sell it to me for cheap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Considering a 12".

Carbine spring/buffer combo gtg?

Am I going to be pelted with brass shooting lefty?

Is the charging handle proprietary?

They are available and seemingly a good value.
In this market that's remarkable.

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

SDS Imports will actually handle any warranty work. Give them a call and them them know your issue. Warranty is good for a year
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#40]
These uppers SUCK. The 12 inch barrel I have had to have the chamber polished as cases were getting stuck. I run a suppressor on it and it still gases my out. The handguards heat up fairly quickly as well. If I had to do it again I would look
for a SIG upper or anything other than this A1.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you still feel it was bad buy/choice?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do you still feel it was bad buy/choice?
View Quote

I have put around 1k through one over the last month with zero issues.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#43]
n/m

fixed
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Hi,
I like my Wolf A1 upper and I got the T91 rear sight from T91tactical. I installed the included lower front sight post. When I went to sight in the setup I noticed that I had to really adjust in the front sight post. It’s basically a nub now and the sight picture is therefore not so great.
Is this a problem that people have noticed? I’ve read that the rear sight is meant for a different gas block but am unsure. If others have noticed this problem that would be good to know. I understand Wolf provided the tall front sight post so that you can attach a milspec rear iron sight (for example) and that the Taiwanese T91 has a different elevation plane. But to be so far off as to need pretty profound adjustment even with the included low front sight post is odd to me.
I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hi,
I like my Wolf A1 upper and I got the T91 rear sight from T91tactical. I installed the included lower front sight post. When I went to sight in the setup I noticed that I had to really adjust in the front sight post. It’s basically a nub now and the sight picture is therefore not so great.
Is this a problem that people have noticed? I’ve read that the rear sight is meant for a different gas block but am unsure. If others have noticed this problem that would be good to know. I understand Wolf provided the tall front sight post so that you can attach a milspec rear iron sight (for example) and that the Taiwanese T91 has a different elevation plane. But to be so far off as to need pretty profound adjustment even with the included low front sight post is odd to me.
I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
View Quote

The short one should be what you need with a T91 rear sight.

What range are you sighting at? (And with which barrel?)
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:43:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Hi,
I have the Wolf A1 16” upper. I’m sighting at 50 yards for standard 55 grain 556. I installed the simple T91 rear iron sight on the first picatinny location. I replaced the Wolf front sight post with the t91 lower front sight post.

I still need to adjust in the front sight for elevation quite a bit. It now looks like a nub because it’s been adjusted in significantly. I’ll get back to the range and try adjusting it again. I read that this simple rear sight should work with the Wolf A1 upper!

I definitely wanted the T91 look but if this doesn’t work I’ll have to get a different fixed rear sight and replace the Wolf A1 taller front sight post...

Thank you for your insights on this.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#47]
You need the short front sight post if you are using the T91 rear sight.

https://store.t91tactical.com/T91-Front-Sight-Post-Standard-p87905889

They are OOS right now, keep an eye out on their site.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:37:46 AM EDT
[#48]
My interest has been re-piqued.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the 14.5” and finally got around to taking it to the range today to get it sighted in. After a couple shots, the front sight got loose and is wobbling. The retaining pin is still in there so it’s not falling out but I can’t sight in the upper due to how loose the front sight is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:01:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have the 14.5” and finally got around to taking it to the range today to get it sighted in. After a couple shots, the front sight got loose and is wobbling. The retaining pin is still in there so it’s not falling out but I can’t sight in the upper due to how loose the front sight is.
View Quote

Hoping to see the 14.5s back in stock soon. The front sight thing is a concern. You are not the first one this seems to have happened to.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top