Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2020 11:07:25 PM EDT
I went out with a friend of mine to zero his Wolf upper on a Palmetto lower.

The scope mounted is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 x 24, trigger MBT 1S (not impressed, the ALG ACT is much better and cheaper. Larue did well with the MBT 2S but the 1S isn't that great). All shots were taken from an Outers Varmiter Rifle Rest in a 100 yard culvert to eliminate the impact of any wind.

We shot four different types of ammo. None of them gave very impressive results. I made sure that the scope rings and mount were tight.

Should this rifle do better than this? Did he get a sub par rifle?

ETA: Shooting at 100 yards
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Trying to upload photos...
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Edit: photos fixed
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Should match ammo do better than this at 100 yds?

One more:
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Should match ammo do better than this at 100 yds?
View Quote
How could anyone say for sure?  Is the shooter capable of less than MOA groups with a true "match grade" gun?  What were your expectations for an imported, piston operated, non match grade upper as far as accuracy?  From looking at your targets, they look as I would suspect.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How could anyone say for sure?  Is the shooter capable of less than MOA groups with a true "match grade" gun?  What were your expectations for an imported, piston operated, non match grade upper as far as accuracy?  From looking at your targets, they look as I would suspect.
View Quote
I have shot MOA groups with my 300 win mag handloads, and 1.5 MOA groups with my other ARs using quality ammo.

Are you saying that the Wolf uppers are only capable of these groups?

Are piston operated guns less accurate than DI?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The groups you got with the ppu 69 grain looks good to me
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
That's pretty much what mine does.  I have the 16 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:07:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I know this shouldn't affect anything, but when I swapped the muzzle device for a standard A2 birdcage, the groups seemed a bit tighter, but could just be me thinking it. Mine was an early release 16" model too.

What's the length of the barrel you're using and how many rounds has the upper seen?

eta: GunWorld Range Findings Link

I wish there was a way to free float the rifle and source an FN barrel, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know this shouldn't affect anything, but when I swapped the muzzle device for a standard A2 birdcage, the groups seemed a bit tighter, but could just be me thinking it. Mine was an early release 16" model too.

What's the length of the barrel you're using and how many rounds has the upper seen?

eta: GunWorld Range Findings Link

I wish there was a way to free float the rifle and source an FN barrel, but it is what it is.
View Quote
12" barrel
Thanks for the link, I will check it out
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top