Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2018 12:16:39 PM EDT
Posted this in GD, but didn't get much traction, so thought I would post it here.

These Wolf uppers have been out for awhile now and are getting good reviews.

Now the SBR uppers are out and I am thinking about getting one.

The big difference is these uppers are cheaper than most piston uppers and supposed to be based on the Taiwanese T91 military rifle.

Who has one? Do you like it? Any reason not to buy one?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Just finished this build.

Only 200 rounds through but no issues with it.

The first upper I received was out of spec; it wouldn't fit on any of my lowers. I contacted Wolf and received a return label within hours. They shipped a new upper the day they received mine.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the 16.5 inch version on an Anderson lower.  Have about 750 rounds through it.  Never had any issues.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have one (yet) but I'm planning on getting a 14.5  The 12.5 and 14.5 lengths have a different, thinner barrel profile.  If that helps.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have one (yet) but I'm planning on getting a 14.5  The 12.5 and 14.5 lengths have a different, thinner barrel profile.  If that helps.
View Quote
I thought the 12.5 and 14.5 barrels had the same (lighter) profile and the 16" had the heavier profile?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought the 12.5 and 14.5 barrels had the same (lighter) profile and the 16" had the heavier profile?
View Quote
That would get my attention.  Lightweight 14.5" P&W handle well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:30:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got the 12 inch , no time to run it yet. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj7t_mYA5UqFq0_tdYsvIiR3J4v3
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Any way to buy replacement barrels? Seems like a fun upper to use for a registered full auto receiver... but it'd be comforting to know if there's a source for replacement barrels.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I finally got to run my 12 inch version using winchester whit box I had appeared to be a couple of soft strokes . Now I ran only a hundred rounds though so it will be interesting to see what it shakes out like
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any way to buy replacement barrels? Seems like a fun upper to use for a registered full auto receiver... but it'd be comforting to know if there's a source for replacement barrels.
View Quote
I have not seen any replacement barrels yet, but if I know WOLF they will make them available. But I can attest to the fact these uppers do make good uppers for full auto lowers and RDIASs. Here is my experience in a video review. The opening shows full auto fire in slow motion and real time, then skip to 18:00 to see just how smooth this upper is in full auto. At $500, the whole upper is cheaper than a lot of other replacement barrels for some of my other full autos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiRybiOHB8k
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Have my 12in on a SBR lower. It's a fun shooter with my Sandman K.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#11]
T91Tacial has gas blocks that will fit an AR barrel. The barrel nut is different on the Wolf A1 upper, but it's the same size as the one on an AR.

T91 gas block
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
T91Tacial has gas blocks that will fit an AR barrel. The barrel nut is different on the Wolf A1 upper, but it's the same size as the one on an AR.

T91 gas block
View Quote
Interesting.

The one you linked is for 18mm (0.709") gas block journal, not 0.750".
The gas port is also further forward relative to the gas block shoulder than an AR barrel.

Here's the right one:
https://store.t91tactical.com/T91-Front-Sight-Assembly-3rd-Gen-For-AR-15-Barrel-p103824288
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I have read that these uppers do not have M4 feed ramps. If I place this on one of my SBR lowers that has M4 ramps, I will have feeding issues, correct? I would like to get the 12" upper but it's useless to me if it won't feed well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have read that these uppers do not have M4 feed ramps. If I place this on one of my SBR lowers that has M4 ramps, I will have feeding issues, correct? I would like to get the 12" upper but it's useless to me if it won't feed well.
View Quote
feed ramps are all in the upper - you'd be good to go.

Here's a nice graphic LaRue Tactical put together:

M4 barrel extension with non ramped upper receiver is ok, you just need to avoid ramped receiver with a rifle barrel extension

ETA: found another pic that shows all possible combinations:

Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/hYo9gNf.jpg

M4 barrel extension with non ramped upper receiver is ok, you just need to avoid ramped receiver with a rifle barrel extension

https://i.imgur.com/QP7u1pz.jpg
View Quote
Thank you very much for all of the graphics. I believe I would have the rifle extension with this T91 upper and M4 feed ramps on my lowers which is not recommended. I will double check though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Lower receivers don't have feedramps.    All of that is contained in the upper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thank you very much for all of the graphics. I believe I would have the rifle extension with this T91 upper and M4 feed ramps on my lowers which is not recommended. I will double check though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what Findsman said: feed ramps are ALL in the upper receiver - lowers are all the same in that they do not contain any feed ramps.  You will have NO compatibility issues with the Wolf complete upper and slapping it on any AR lower..
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
what Findsman said: feed ramps are ALL in the upper receiver - lowers are all the same in that they do not contain any feed ramps.  You will have NO compatibility issues with the Wolf complete upper and slapping it on any AR lower..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh lord, I'm an idiot. Now I get it. Jeez, I'm out of it this week! Thanks everyone. You'd never know I've built at least 7 AR's.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oh lord, I'm an idiot. Now I get it. Jeez, I'm out of it this week! Thanks everyone. You'd never know I've built at least 7 AR's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  no worries, my brain discombobulates stuff that I know better too.  Go for the Wolf upper, it's nice and a fun little variation on the same-old.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one. I like it. Its my first and only piston upper. I had to go with a tall front sight to get it to zero. Wolf actually supplied it with the upper. I don't know it they got that straightened out yet ... I have no regrets. I cleaned it well lubed, and shot it . Couple of hundred rounds through it, No problems or stoppages....WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ha!  no worries, my brain discombobulates stuff that I know better too.  Go for the Wolf upper, it's nice and a fun little variation on the same-old.
View Quote
I have not shot it yet but slapped it on my SBR lower with a UCIW stock and YHM BUIS. It's a little front heavy but seems decently made. Piston area was well lubed but the bolt was a little dry, IMO. I prefer the piston retainment design better than my Sig 556, more idiot proof. Can't wait to shoot it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Just finish building mine with all the parts from t91tactical. Sean is a good guy!
First time drilling/pinning gas block and drill 30 degree tilt gas port on a cheap anderson 14.5 barrel.
I think I did okay.
Took it to the range this Monday. Fired 200+ rounds. No issue with factory ammo.  She does not like my hand loads.... FTF.

side by side with my wolf a1

Next step, pin and weld.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#23]
@prelude why did you opt to build your own, and why that barrel?  Thinner profile?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@prelude why did you opt to build your own, and why that barrel?  Thinner profile?
View Quote
Because a military rifle needs a bayonet! LOL

I pick that barrel because almost all 14.5" barrel with carbine gas system has that M203 cut.
I think T91 looks better without the M203 cut.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#25]
What buffers are you guys using?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just finished this build.
https://i.imgur.com/RUEiZy5.jpg
Only 200 rounds through but no issues with it.

The first upper I received was out of spec; it wouldn't fit on any of my lowers. I contacted Wolf and received a return label within hours. They shipped a new upper the day they received mine.
View Quote
I just had to do this. Pins were so tight I had to hammer them in on the lower.

Hopefully the new upper is better.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 4:42:44 AM EDT
[#27]
What is the front sight height A1? A2?
Does it work with the std back-up sights available?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#28]

I wound up doing a P&W on a 14.5", and it lives on a PSA lower.  Using a LaRue rear sight, and I did not change the front out (and am not sure if I will need to, we'll see).  I love the front sight hood; the irons with the LaRue rear are sweet enough that I might not even put an RDS on top.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/2AD4C351-956D-477E-A26B-92ED5E69054F-947613.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/B11C8448-57D4-4E76-BA72-106A996C1A54-942268.jpg

I wound up doing a P&W on a 14.5", and it lives on a PSA lower.  Using a LaRue rear sight, and I did not change the front out (and am not sure if I will need to, we'll see).  I love the front sight hood; the irons with the LaRue rear are sweet enough that I might not even put an RDS on top.
View Quote
Maybe Im not looking in the right place, but I couldnt find that rear sight on Larue's site.

So is the T91 front sight compatible with rear sights made to line up with F marked fsb's? I see that youre not 100% sure so the question isnt directed towards you in particular.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Maybe Im not looking in the right place, but I couldnt find that rear sight on Larue's site.

So is the T91 front sight compatible with rear sights made to line up with F marked fsb's? I see that youre not 100% sure so the question isnt directed towards you in particular.
View Quote
Sight:
LT103

Other Question:
Seems to be, but I know it's a common complaint.  The adjustment dial isn't perfectly flush in the front sight hood, but it doesn't bother me any.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#31]
The T91 uppers come with a flat top AR compatible FSP. If you use a T91 carry handle or T91 "simple rear site" you may need the shorter replacement FSP sold by T91 Tactical. Should be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sight:
LT103

Other Question:
Seems to be, but I know it's a common complaint.  The adjustment dial isn't perfectly flush in the front sight hood, but it doesn't bother me any.  YMMV.
View Quote
Awesome, thank you!
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Sort of want
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#34]
adjustable gas block for supressor?
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Hi OP- I posted this up a couple of days ago in the hog forum, but it’s the only pic I have of my T91 as well... I’ve had mine for a while and have only run it suppressed, now with a H3 buffer. Standard buffer suppressed it was over-gassed and encountered some failures to eject and feed. Heavy buffer and it’s been flawless for several hundred rounds. I like it, FWIW...

Edit to add- take care to make sure the piston can still have clearance to be removed if you install a new muzzle device. Mine just barely clears a 51T and takes a little finesse to get it back in once removed. I’d like to have it set up for some other cans I have using a YHM QD mount but it’s a larger diameter.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Old thread, by a bit, but took my new T91 upper out today along with a KS47.  First two rounds there was a failure to extract, after that nothing but smooth running for the rest of the 60 rounds I put through it.  There was some slight wear at the top of the upper, nothing major, just some small dings I assume were from the initial use, and the factory grease on the piston system smelled a bit, but it ran great!  Next I’ll zero the sucker and see where it goes. :)
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#37]
This is still a good thread...

Anyone shooting these left-handed? If so, any issues with brass in the face?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is still a good thread...

Anyone shooting these left-handed? If so, any issues with brass in the face?

Thanks!
View Quote
I looked at this....
WOLF A1 (Type 91) Piston Upper: Left Hand Shooting Brass Deflection
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I work with several former .mil from Taiwan. LOL at least one guy wants one after I showed them the uppers. Says in basic a TW version of the M16A1 was what they carried and that the new rifles were heaven in comparison.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#40]
New Taiwanese M16 rifle being with Piston or DI?
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
New Taiwanese M16 rifle being with Piston or DI?
View Quote
At least at the time when my friends were TW.mil, Taiwan had a mandate that everything was piston. Even their M16A1s has been converted/remanufactured as piston. It’s a thing with them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#42]
T91 uppers are GTG. I talked to couple of guys at the range I go to and the owners talked how reliable the uppers worked and  for the price point they brought at.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I think I am going to take the plunge....
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#44]

They're pretty sweet uppers, even if you aren't going for a clone.  Good values, good shooters.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice rifle!
Atlantic Firearms has 16" A1 (T91) uppers @ $449.00 - I guess this is the going price?
Any specific AR lower you would recommend for a GOOD fit? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nice rifle!
Atlantic Firearms has 16" A1 (T91) uppers @ $449.00 - I guess this is the going price?
Any specific AR lower you would recommend for a GOOD fit? Thanks.
View Quote
Thank you!  $450 is what I paid for mine (14.5" P&W); usually they're $500, I'll gladly save $50.

Mine is on a PSA, and it fits quite well.  Not excessively tight, and no wobble. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 4:09:22 AM EDT
[#47]
What is your rear sight? Looks good. Wolf?
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What is your rear sight? Looks good. Wolf?
View Quote
It's the LaRue Tactical LT103 I linked to earlier in the thread.  I'd link it again, but I'm on my phone.

ETA:

Sight: LT103.

If you remove the QD option it gets cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks - sorry for not reading above. I also thought your sight had an elevation knob.. oops. I like LaRue product quality and fit.
Just ordered a 16" T1 upper from Atlantic Firearms.

Questions:

Is the T91 bolt the same as the M16/AR15?

Any issues using an A2 rifle stocks?
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's a question - the descriptions I've read of the 14.5" say with the muzzle device overall length is > 16".  Does this device come pinned and welded, or is that something I'd need to  have done to make a 14.5" legal to mount on a regular lower without a stamp?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top