Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2020 8:12:01 PM EDT
Are WW barrels known to have tight chambers and/or short throats?

I'm asking because I shot 30 rounds over the weekend and ended up with 6 with blown primers.

Ammo were my reloads that I haven't had any issues with out of 4 other ARs, including a 223 Wylde. My load is on the hot side, but not sure why they would just do it in 1 out of 5 ARs.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
As a side note, I suspect we're going to get a KB thread going on sometime in the next week or so.

My advice is to stop shooting at this time. WW have good barrels but perhaps your reloads are too long. Have you tried to measure the throat and make sure you are in the correct length?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Some guns don't like certain reloads. I shot a few of a fellow shooter's through my 6920 a few years ago and had a couple blown primers. He said it never happened before but I stopped shooting his or any as it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
About a week ago I put 300 rounds of XM193 through a brand new Windham barrel with no issues. The one I have is 16", M4 profile, carbine gas, 1:9 twist and FSB. Very happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I just shot 90 rounds from my WW rifle this weekend - all my reloads.  Add that to hundreds more fired from it previously.  

The vast majority of all rounds through that rifle are my reloads.  Never had a malfunction with that gun.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Grendel loads in my 12.5" SBR were flattening primers and getting a healthy ejector mark in my wife's 16".

No pressure signs in my SBR.

Different barrels are exactly that.  Different.

The only load I maintain across *ALL* of my rifles is 23 grains of RL10X and a 55-grain pill.  Bulk plinker that anyone can pick up any of my .223/5.56 guns and put through without concern.

If you have a load that's hot velocity wise, expect it to not be tame in all guns.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a buddy who was having same problem.  WW sent him a new firing pin.  All good since.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are WW barrels known to have tight chambers and/or short throats?

I'm asking because I shot 30 rounds over the weekend and ended up with 6 with blown primers.

Ammo were my reloads that I haven't had any issues with out of 4 other ARs, including a 223 Wylde. My load is on the hot side, but not sure why they would just do it in 1 out of 5 ARs.

View Quote

Your reloads aren't on the hot side, they are over the top. Allowing ammo to sit in the sun, even for a short period of time, will raise pressures dramatically. This is especially true when using ball powders.

90 degree heat and some time in the sun can easily push borderline ammo over the top.

Windham Weaponry used to use the CLE reamer print. Their rifles shot exceptionally well for factory issue. Whether they still use it now after opening for business again I don't know.

It should handle NATO pressure loads just fine. Post up your load data so the world can see.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your reloads aren't on the hot side, they are over the top. Allowing ammo to sit in the sun, even for a short period of time, will raise pressures dramatically. This is especially true when using ball powders.

90 degree heat and some time in the sun can easily push borderline ammo over the top.

Windham Weaponry used to use the CLE reamer print. Their rifles shot exceptionally well for factory issue. Whether they still use it now after opening for business again I don't know.

It should handle NATO pressure loads just fine. Post up your load data so the world can see.
View Quote

I would be more willing to bet on ammo if the other 4 rifles had issues. 3 I built and 1 is factory, this one I built as well. I'm going to remove the barrel and retorque it this weekend and check everything out. BCG is a toolcraft and the firing pin/bolt look the same as my others.

I just noticed they have cosmoline(?) On the outside of the barrel. Do they put it in the chamber/barrel as well?

Load is shooters world tactical rifle 26.9(max is 27), wsr primers, mix brass, Hornady or armscor 55fmj, seated max/mag length.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably. I always clean new firearms prior to shooting them. Virtually every company uses some type of anti-rust lube in the bore.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Simply using a different primer than the one used to develop your data source is enough to change chamber pressures by 5,000 psi. Up or down. Drop your powder charge 1.0 whole grain and I bet your problems disappear.

Clean the bore, always.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top