Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2022 9:11:25 AM EDT
Does the newly manufactured Winchester M193 55gr FMJ (White Box) have the primer and mouth sealed?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at some the other day and the primers had the typical LC purple seals. No idea if the case necks were sealed internally, per mil spec. This was the bulk pack stuff with an LC lot number.

The 20 rd white box ammunition might be a product of Winchester's Oxford MS plant (WMA). Since the boxes are sealed and the lot number inside, no easy way to tell without opening one. The last WMA I bought was in 20 rd. boxes. There were 4-5 different headstamp and year combinations from 2017, 2018, and 2019. Some rounds were sealed, some weren't, even in the same box. This stuff was trash. I even pulled projectiles out of morbid curiosity and found a number of them lacking the internal sealant.

I'm willing to bet it's a coin toss what you get with Winchester and Winchester/LC stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Molon.
I have been buying IMI for years mainly for the sealant.
Interesting to see that PPU also seals their ammo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I inquired at a large vendor regarding the sealing on Winchester Lake City M193 FMJ rounds.
This is his answer:
"5.56 ammunition manufactured by Lake City Armory under the management of Winchester is mil-spec ammo made under US military contract and offered to the civilian market due to contract overrun. Yes, it's sealed per military specifications."

I thought he Military stopped using M193 years ago...?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I inquired at a large vendor regarding the sealing on Winchester Lake City M193 FMJ rounds.
This is his answer: "5.56 ammunition manufactured by Lake City Armory under the management of Winchester is mil-spec ammo made under US military contract and offered to the civilian market due to contract overrun. Yes, it's sealed per military specifications."

View Quote

Primer pocket not sealed . . .

Case-mouth not sealed . . .

Not mil-spec.

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The Winchester LC bulk pack M193 I saw a few weeks ago had the same LC 21 headstamp and had sealed primers. Clearly some is and some isn't sealed, at least around the primer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Winchester LC bulk pack M193 I saw a few weeks ago had the same LC 21 headstamp and had sealed primers. Clearly some is and some isn't sealed, at least around the primer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Which means it's not mil-spec ammunition.  If a manufacturer wants to claim that its ammunition is mil-spec, it can't pic and choose when it will actually adhere to the mil-spec and when it won't.

Quoted:
This is his answer:

"5.56 ammunition manufactured by Lake City Armory under the management of Winchester is mil-spec ammo when we feel like adhering to the milspec made under US military contract and offered to the civilian market due to contract overrun. Yes, it's sealed per military specifications on lots that we actually feel like using sealant"

said no mil-spec ever

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Which means it's not mil-spec ammunition.  If a manufacturer wants to claim that its ammunition is mil-spec, it can't pic and choose when it will actually adhere to the mil-spec and when it won't.

said no mil-spec ever

View Quote

...which is why (among several reasons) I don't buy Winchester ammunition.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top