Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2020 10:18:42 AM EDT
I was all set to buy a Criterion 22 inch 6.5 hybrid off of Brownells but one guy claims that if he uses factory ammo longer than 2.754 OAL the tip catches and it doesn't chamber. I just measured a 140 ELD factory and it's about 2.809 OAL. I don't want to be limited to reloads on my AP M5 build. Has anyone tried a Wilson Super Sniper? They seem competitively priced and look great with a half MOA guarantee. Is this commentary about the Criterion accurate? Faxon is sold out of everything but the 18 inch. I don't want a barrel that short for a Creedmoor. Criterion also talks a lot about requiring the JP bolt they sell in almost a disclaimer. I have an AP nitrided bolt. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Odin was going to be my place to go but then I saw that if you substitute the adjustable gas block for the tunable - price difference $35 - they charge the full $54 cost of the adjustable in an upcharge. Not cool. Note - the tunable and gas tube are included with the barrel just to be clear.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
More info...

Some mags allow slightly longer OAL. DPMS and D&H have a double fold of metal at the front. That slightly shorts OaL that will fit the mag. ASC and C-Prod mags have a welded seam so they allow a slightly longer OAL.

Maybe his longer rounds are catching on the magazine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#4]
He said the barrel. Here are his words "Bullets heads need to be shorter than factory length mine work at 2.754 length any longer and they hit the back of barrel before chambering". He could be mistaken I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Bfoosh. Good info.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, I'm not getting where that fellow came up with that conclusion about ammo with a longer COAL hanging up, as he put it.  Factory Hornady Black with 140g BTHP's has a COAL of 2.805'ish by my measurement which compares closely to your measurement of the 140 ELD.  The factory 147g ELD match ammo I have is around the same 2.805'ish...apparently a common area for Hornady 6.5CM "long" bullets.  Of course max COAL in the Hornady 10th edition loading manual is 2.825.

I reload for my home built 6.5CM precision bolt rifle.  My load development for the chamber in my precision bolt rifle ended up at .030" off the lands with ELD 140g bullets.  That makes for a COAL of 2.817 as a general rule.  I got as high a COAL of 2.828 at .019" off the lands, but my ammo and rifle liked .030" the best it seems.  My precision bolt rifle is in a chassis that uses AICS magazines so the 2.828 increased COAL over recommendations wasn't a problem.

Now, I did not want to have to be overly cautious or bothered by having various, specific ammo for each of my three 6.5CM rifles...that 26" precision bolt rifle already mentioned...a 22" hunting bolt rifle...and an Armalite 6.5CM AR10 with an 18" Criterion SS hybrid barrel...but...it is something you have to consider when you have three relatively different rifles in the same caliber.

To get to the chase, the ammo for my precision bolt rifle with 140g ELD's at a COAL of 2.817 shoot great in my AR10 with the Criterion Hybrid barrel.  I did not do a chamber check on the AR10 because my 2.817 COAL was well within the SAAMI and Hornady numbers so I didn't anticipate an issue.  The rifle feeds my longest reloads and all factory ammo I've shot through it.  Unless the fellow you spoke to has a hybrid Criterion barrel with an improper chamber size...which I doubt...there should be no reason for any ammo feeding issues due to the barrel/chamber.  There may likely be more of an issue like a magazine issue or possibly a gas control issue that makes him think he has a chamber issue.  But over the internet, long distance, who knows.

For Criterion to have a chamber problem that won't feed ammo within SAAMI numbers seems unlikely.  A lot of these Criterion SS Hybrid barrels have been sold and used by many members here, and this issue hasn't surfaced that I've seen.

As an aside, my 22" hunting bolt rifle also shoots my precision rifle loads perfectly.  I did do a chamber check on that rifle, and surprisingly it had identical chamber measurements as my precision rifle.  It shoots my .030" off the lands ELD 140's with more than adequate precision for hunting.

I will be load developing some Hornady 129g SST's for both the AR10 and hunting bolt rifle to be specific for hunting/target and leave my 140 ELD's for the precision rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]
2.217 COAL in 6.5 Creedmoor? I took a case and mocked up a 140 ELD at that length. The bullet is almost totally in the case and is well beyond the bearing surface. You meant 2.817 COAL. Right? I also load 6.5 for a PRS bolt and commonly go out here and beyond.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
BTW I called Wilson to ask if their barrel works in an AP M5. They do not know but assure me they will take it back if it doesn't work. I think Criterion is sounding like the way to go. I'm a bit shocked at the level of technical expertise or lack there of I got from who I spoke with at Wilson.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2.217 COAL in 6.5 Creedmoor? I took a case and mocked up a 140 ELD at that length. The bullet is almost totally in the case and is well beyond the bearing surface. You meant 2.817 COAL. Right? I also load 6.5 for a PRS bolt and commonly go out here and beyond.
View Quote
LOL!...yes...those should all be 2.8's as I stated at the beginning of my post.  I'm going to edit that so no one tries it...not that they would...I hope.  Thanks for pointing that out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, I almost forgot about your bolt question.  I'm pretty sure the JP bolt recommendation is probably just based on the firing pin aperture, don't you think?  As long as you have a small aperture bolt, you'll be good.

I'd doubt they're talking fitment issues.  My AR10 6.5CM is an Armalite B-model.  It has a DPMS pattern Criterion SS Hybrid barrel running the OEM Armalite BCG...which is a small aperture bolt.  Common knowledge was that these combinations weren't supposed to work.

I'll bet your bolt will work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, I almost forgot about your bolt question.  I'm pretty sure the JP bolt recommendation is probably just based on the firing pin aperture, don't you think?  As long as you have a small aperture bolt, you'll be good.

I'd doubt they're talking fitment issues.  My AR10 6.5CM is an Armalite B-model.  It has a DPMS pattern Criterion SS Hybrid barrel running the OEM Armalite BCG...which is a small aperture bolt.  Common knowledge was that these combinations weren't supposed to work.

I'll bet your bolt will work just fine.
View Quote
LOL. I am running the same combo.  22" Criterion DPMS pattern bbl with a OEM Armalite bolt. Like you, everything I had read said that combo would not work, well it works!  Mine so far has eaten everything I have put in it and they all go into one hole.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#12]
OP. Buy the Criterion barrel, you will not be sorry.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top