Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 10:09:08 PM EDT
See pic.. Just put together a 22lr dedicated upper so note it's 22lr coming out of it not 223 (if that matters). I want the option to shoot it suppressed and non and this was the only thread protector I had laying around. Will the thread protector extending about half a inch past the crown be an issue?

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. I thought the same thing when I bought a ruger American special run creedmor. I put a crush washer on it behind my thread protector to align it, and protect the muzzle. I shot it both on and off and zero difference in accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope. I thought the same thing when I bought a ruger American special run creedmor. I put a crush washer on it behind my thread protector to align it, and protect the muzzle. I shot it both on and off and zero difference in accuracy.
View Quote

Right on.. I couldn't imagine it would be an issue beyond some carbon residue on the threads? Gonna shoot it anyways and see how it does but curious what folks think.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
carbon residue on the threads?
View Quote

22lr is pretty dirty, so you will gunk up those exposed threads pretty good with carbon residue - but nothing you won't be to scrape and scrub away.

I've had a 22 suppressor almost glued on with carbon after shooting it for a couple of bricks. The can had a thin back wall, so some of the threads protruded into the first suppressor cavity. I took a lot of soaking, and unscrewing a bit at a time to dislodge the carbon from the exposed threads until I could get it off. You won't have that particular removal issue, but you'll definitely notice the carbon residue when you're cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
One thing to watch is that the thread protector doesn't loosen up and come off.  I've had to pay attention to threaded 9mm barrels for this - the protector was noticeably loose after just a couple of magazines.

I don't know if a crush washer is the best idea, but do something to retain the thread protector, or you could lose it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Small o-ring will help keep the thread protector from loosening. Just remove the o-ring before threading on the suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
This drove me nuts. I found a TP I really liked for my 22 and had a machinist cut it to thread length. He even counterbored it for an o-ring and included the o-rings for $20.

Those threads will get filthy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a KAK slim flash can, and just thread it off when I want to use the a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think it should, but the best way to find out is shoot it.  Shoot a few with it on & off.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top