Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 10:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2021 10:21:25 PM EDT by doktarZues]
See pic.. Just put together a 22lr dedicated upper so note it's 22lr coming out of it not 223 (if that matters). I want the option to shoot it suppressed and non and this was the only thread protector I had laying around. Will the thread protector extending about half a inch past the crown be an issue?

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:16:02 PM EDT
Nope. I thought the same thing when I bought a ruger American special run creedmor. I put a crush washer on it behind my thread protector to align it, and protect the muzzle. I shot it both on and off and zero difference in accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:36:14 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Greatlakespilot:
Nope. I thought the same thing when I bought a ruger American special run creedmor. I put a crush washer on it behind my thread protector to align it, and protect the muzzle. I shot it both on and off and zero difference in accuracy.
View Quote

Right on.. I couldn't imagine it would be an issue beyond some carbon residue on the threads? Gonna shoot it anyways and see how it does but curious what folks think.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:46:07 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doktarZues:
carbon residue on the threads?
View Quote

22lr is pretty dirty, so you will gunk up those exposed threads pretty good with carbon residue - but nothing you won't be to scrape and scrub away.

I've had a 22 suppressor almost glued on with carbon after shooting it for a couple of bricks. The can had a thin back wall, so some of the threads protruded into the first suppressor cavity. I took a lot of soaking, and unscrewing a bit at a time to dislodge the carbon from the exposed threads until I could get it off. You won't have that particular removal issue, but you'll definitely notice the carbon residue when you're cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:31:48 PM EDT
One thing to watch is that the thread protector doesn't loosen up and come off.  I've had to pay attention to threaded 9mm barrels for this - the protector was noticeably loose after just a couple of magazines.

I don't know if a crush washer is the best idea, but do something to retain the thread protector, or you could lose it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:35:04 PM EDT
Small o-ring will help keep the thread protector from loosening. Just remove the o-ring before threading on the suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:15:56 AM EDT
This drove me nuts. I found a TP I really liked for my 22 and had a machinist cut it to thread length. He even counterbored it for an o-ring and included the o-rings for $20.

Those threads will get filthy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:10:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2021 12:10:53 AM EDT by RogueSpear2023]
I bought a KAK slim flash can, and just thread it off when I want to use the a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:17:35 PM EDT
I don't think it should, but the best way to find out is shoot it.  Shoot a few with it on & off.
Top Top