Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2022 2:14:15 PM EDT
Odd question here.

Just had a large mouse infestation in my gun safe room in the basement.  My wife used a spray bottle to spray 70%  isopropal rubbing alcohol on all the mouse droppings near my gun safe and near my ammo, which most of it is inside walmart generic 50 cal ammo cans.

The room is very small and poorly ventilated and kept the alcohol smell for a day or so, but is now gone.

Could these rubbing alcohol vapors have any adverse affect on the ammo?  None of the ammo actually got wet from the alcohol

And does anyone know how long rubbing alcohol stays flammable after it has evaportated?

I got myself in a uproar over this and hopefully just overthinking it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe just get a box fan and circulate the vapors out of the room? I don’t think there will be any adverse reaction to the ammo. In any event, got to get that rodent problem solved ASAP!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I highly doubt it affected your ammo.
Maybe if you submersed the ammo in a liquid it would have a negative effect.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Did she spray it with a fire hose? Betting you're talking about a couple fluid ounces here. No would be the answer. Fun fact: Dillon case lube is about 90% isopropyl alcohol. Alcohol is flammable as long as it's alcohol. Evaporated alcohol in air is flammable as long as it's alcohol BUT it won't actually catch fire until you approach a around 12:1 mixture. If a room contains 2000 liters of air, (something about the size of a closet) you'd need to evaporate most of a soda can full of 99% alcohol into the room for the air to be able to be ignited with a spark or open flame. FWIW, the room would explode not burn because that would be a very lean burn. That number goes up as the concentration level of the alcohol goes down.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
No.  Isopropyl is in my case lube and fumes are regularly around my gun things.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
None of the actual moisture of the alcohol came in contact wit the ammo, only chance was the vapors in contact with the ammo.

Interesting fact on Dillon lube.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did she spray it with a fire hose? Betting you're talking about a couple fluid ounces here. No would be the answer. Fun fact: Dillon case lube is about 90% isopropyl alcohol. Alcohol is flammable as long as it's alcohol. Evaporated alcohol in air is flammable as long as it's alcohol BUT it won't actually catch fire until you approach a around 12:1 mixture. If a room contains 2000 liters of air, (something about the size of a closet) you'd need to evaporate most of a soda can full of 99% alcohol into the room for the air to be able to be ignited with a spark or open flame. FWIW, the room would explode not burn because that would be a very lean burn. That number goes up as the concentration level of the alcohol goes down.
View Quote

My wife went pretty crazy with it, used about a whole 8 to 10 oz spray bottle.  This was 3 days ago, could the room still be able to explode?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Cat!
Cost little, and no risk of explosion
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just curious, as I have no experience reloading, I'm assuming case lube help seats a bullet?

If so, would it come in contact with the powder?

My biggest concern would have been the alcohol vapors affecting the powder in my ammo, which seems unlikely.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just curious, as I have no experience reloading, I'm assuming case lube help seats a bullet?

My biggest concern would have been the alcohol vapors affecting the powder in my ammo, which seems unlikely.
View Quote

Case lube helps you resize the case. Alcohol is a carrier for the actual lube , usually lanolin . Not much is used and is almost entirely on the outside of the case . The alcohol itself evaporates quickly . I myself wipe the cases or tumble them after lubeing and sizeing .

I agree with most of the posters here , light to medium spraying of rubbing alcohol around ammo and reloading supply materials will have no adverse results.

Get rid of those nasty mice!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#10]
You know what probably is bad for the ammo?

Mouse piss

We used to have a cat that sprayed a box of ammo in the garage. We didn't find it for a while and when I finally opened it up everything was severely corroded.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
OP came here looking for validation for the horrible things he said to his wife. Now he's praying she never finds out that he was wrong. But she'll find out. They always do...

His name was Against-the-wind.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
To combine and agree with everyone else, there's little to no chance that anything was damaged from the spray and 0% chance of an explosion.  You are so close to being 100% gtg it's safe to say 100% gtg.  Sorry but you're going to have to admit defeat to your wife on this one.

If anything, the mouse urine is what you have to worry about.  That stuff is like that alien acid blood from that alien movie.  I can't think of the title but it was about aliens.

Spraying isopropyl alcohol everywhere didn't really do much to deal with the problem.  You have to physically clean everywhere they've been to get rid of it.  They pee and poop indiscriminately as they walk and they often follow the same trails over and over so it really builds up. Buy a UV flashlight and it'll show you where you need to clean. There is spray you can buy specifically made for cleaning up and disinfecting rodent mess.  Then get a cat, preferably two.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Rubbing alcohol is flammable not explosive. The vapors you smell are fine to light a fire around.  Some one will confirm this later.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I guess I will need to be conceeding defeat to the wife.

By the way, I got rid of the mice, they actaully were nesting up in my garage attic and were making their way down to the basement along the foundation i assume.  

I have sealed everything I can around the house and replaced all the seals on the garage door etc., hear they can get through a 1/4 in hole.  Should be a lot harder for them to get in again.

As for the attic, it needs much more clean-up, may just use Lysol  and a shop vac instead of rubbing alcohol, unless anyone esle has deal with this and has better advice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy her flowers.

Next time have her use a bleach solution. . .

From the googles:

"Spray the urine and droppings with a disinfectant or a mixture of bleach and water and let soak 5 minutes. The recommended concentration of bleach solution is 1 part bleach to 10 parts water."
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My wife went pretty crazy with it, used about a whole 8 to 10 oz spray bottle.  This was 3 days ago, could the room still be able to explode?
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I use denatured alcohol in a spray bottle to wipe down my guns. Also spray it on a rag and wipe my ammo with it before going to the range. Best cleaner/degreaser there is. Also the cheapest.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I think you should apologize to your wife for feeling compelled to do what should have been your job, and stop thinking ammo is that fragile.

But that's just me,
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fun fact: The term "proof" when referring to alcohol concentration in liquor goes back to the way that people would demonstrate that their liquor was the shiznit or not because liquor was at the time taxed based on the alcohol content. Sometimes they would just straight try to light the booze on fire but alcohol's purity requirement for ignition to take place is very temperature and pressure dependent so just lighting hooch on fire was kind of a shit method. Another way was, they'd take a bit of black powder gunpowder and put it in a spoon then they'd pour their 'shine on to it and then hit it with a match. If the gunpowder flashed the moonshine was said to be "prooved" and the proof level set would be 100, which translates to 55% alcohol under the old English system and to 50% under the still used American system. While that might matter for ethanol and black powder it does not have anything to do with isopropyl alcohol and smokeless powder, which is why it's just a fun fact.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Last week I used 70% iso to clean off sharpie ink I had marked the bases of some live 9mm with. Qtip soaked in it, swabbed all around the primer,  left to evaporate. Yesterday I successfully fired all those rounds with no issue.

I wouldn't sweat it OP.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#21]
There is an almost zero chance it had any effect on your ammo, and I doubt the room is toxic or explosive. You should apologize to your wife, and thank her for cleaning up your space for you. My wife would have told me its my problem and how I should just throw out the guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#22]
You should be far more concerned with your potential personal health problems than with your ammo given the mouse problem you have.

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Ammo has an expiration date, once you open the original box the clock starts ticking down. There is only one answer, take back to back training classes using the ammo in question until it all runs out, just to be safe. Typical rifle and pistol classes are about 500 rounds a day. Wear gloves. Get to work!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You should be far more concerned with your potential personal health problems than with your ammo given the mouse problem you have.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You’re overthinking it OP.  You could spray it to clean every shell and it would still fire. Plus it probably evaporated as soon as you typed this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#26]
If the ammo cans are good, there should be absolutely no issue here
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Resolved; locking before any more non-tech responses come in
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top