BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/24/2023 8:51:17 PM EDT
Why are people running mags other than Gen 3 PMAG's, unless the platform is unique or your goals are unique (20 rounders from the bench).
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Because E2's and HK's are better
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing wrong with Gen2 Pmags or Gen3 Pmags.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Luddites.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JetPumpright:

HK's are better
View Quote

No. Lol.

USGI guy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ecgRN:

No. Lol.

USGI guy.
View Quote

OKAY
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer metal feed lips
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By colossians323:

OKAY
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:51:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#8]
Why run anything other than a USGI or Lancer?

Pmags aren't the cream of the crop any stretch of the imagination
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Grumple:

View Quote

This.^^^^^^

Best  mag is a USGI 20rd with alloy follower
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:12:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Apocalypto-] [#10]

View Quote
Pmag Gen3 are USGI
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I started every deployment with NIW OKAY's and they never let me down.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Why have to deal with split mags? Aluminum FTW.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By colossians323:

OKAY
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Canadian Thermolds
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

UM, I hate to tell you this (not really, lol), but Pmags are USGI and have been for some time.

Best is subjective. I think all three if the USGI is Okay, are cream of the crop IMO no matter what the haters of each one say at any stretch of  the imagination as well. I also have D&H with no problems, same for DD 32's but I've heard that the splines crack from time to time with those.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
View Quote

Is this true or just being edgy in tech? Pics of USGI Pmag M3's with split mags to verify?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I use Lancers except for 20rd mags
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:17:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#18]
Because I run what works and certain magazines or the same magazine types from different companies I use to ID the ammo type inside. For instance:

Lancer translucent: Speer 55 GDSP
Okay/D&H USGI greys: M193 FMJ
Magpul Pmags M3 black or coyote: Mk262

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Because the top rounds in aluminum mags don't pop out, swell the top of the mag, or get all wompy like crooked meth teeth if you drop belt on the ground.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:
Because the top rounds in aluminum mags don't pop out, swell the top of the mag, or get all wompy like crooked meth teeth if you drop belt on the ground.
View Quote

They still will if used in mag clamps, I had a USGI swell before, and I've not had one go wompy when dropped looking like whatever it is you're describing.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:

They still will if used in mag clamps, I had a USGI swell before, and I've not had one go wompy when dropped looking like whatever it is you're describing.

View Quote

Top one or two rounds push the feed lips aside and angle upwards.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I have seen 2 different instructors demonstrate top rounds popping out of aluminum mags.

I run both Okay metal mags and PMags. Just depends on what I’m feeling that day. My PMags have been subjected to mild freezing to 105F temp in humid and muddy conditions, many carbine courses, etc. Never an issue.

I’m not sure what you are trying to describe but it doesn’t sound realistic. Unless you have pics to help explain.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:08:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Have a bunch of the old Imperial Defense all steel ones and they are awesome, heavy AF but awesome.
I wear them on the front of my PC for added protection.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:16:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#24]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

I have seen 2 different instructors demonstrate top rounds popping out of aluminum mags.

I run both Okay metal mags and PMags. Just depends on what I’m feeling that day. My PMags have been subjected to mild freezing to 105F temp in humid and muddy conditions, many carbine courses, etc. Never an issue.

I’m not sure what you are trying to describe but it doesn’t sound realistic. Unless you have pics to help explain.
View Quote

I don't have any of my own pics, and my wife will get torqued if I start dropping mags to replicate it, but I did find this image.  Essentially the this but the round of the left works up further and sticks out over the feed lips at an even steeper angle.

I've no doubt rounds can pop out of an aluminum mag, but they reliably do so out of a pmag.

For the record, I like pmags, they're my go to mag, but I also like being a butthole, no matter how true what I said is.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They didn't look like what you're describing either.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:44:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#26]
Lancers are better, and beat PMag's every time.   PMags are fine.  But, when tested comparatively, Lancers are better.  Google: "Unscientific Magazine Comparison Test Site:Www.ar15.com", and behold.

When that test was dismissed, and someone recently tested both of them side-by-side again about 6 months ago, he concluded the PMags were better - but the data didn't actually agree, and again - the Lancers were still better.
The PMags are good, and very plenty much bigly good for everything you want to do.  And the Lancers are better.

Why are you still running PMags and not Lancers?  
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:45:13 AM EDT
[#27]
lancers for my 300BO

okay and pmags for my 5.56.

no accidentally mischambered rounds and i get to keep  fingers. win/win.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:50:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ElliotAbrahms:
lancers for my 300BO

View Quote

Naw, it'll be fine

(not staged)
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:52:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#29]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:42:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Naw, it'll be fine

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqPSwLgj/20221202-155648.jpg
(not staged)
View All Quotes
lancers for my 300BO

Naw, it'll be fine

(not staged)

I don't think that his comment was saying anything about Magpuls and 300 as far as functioning or not and more to do with being able to ID munitions in magazines. It's actually smart to do by having a way to ID what's in the magazines by limiting what type of round goes in certain ones. I do it and have yet to use the wrong magazine for the wrong gun that it's to be shot from.

And honestly if I were to go to 300 BO again (I won't, no use for it really), I'd retire my 20 pmags to storage and use the 300 BO 20's from Magpul to ID them as 300 BO magazines.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:47:14 AM EDT
[#31]

I don't think that his comment was saying anything about Magpuls and 300 as far as functioning or not and more to do with being able to ID munitions in magazines. It's actually smart to do by having a way to ID what's in the magazines by limiting what type of round goes in certain ones. I do it and have yet to use the wrong magazine for the wrong gun that it's to be shot from.

And honestly if I were to go to 300 BO again (I won't, no use for it really), I'd retire my 20 pmags to storage and use the 300 BO 20's from Magpul to ID them as 300 BO magazines.
View All Quotes
lancers for my 300BO

Naw, it'll be fine

(not staged)

(I was actually agreeing with him, jokingly - guess I didn't do a good job of it)
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:59:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JetPumpright:
Because E2's and HK's are better
View Quote

Lol no. HK mags are garbage.

USGI with a magpul follower is The Power and Glory.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Other mags work too.

I have tons of Pmags, USGIs, lancers and a half dozen DD mags.

They work. So I use them. I’m not brand loyal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:04:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I prefer aluminum...

Two PMags I had that had issues, both were fairly new/unused.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 4:41:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#35]
Lancers are better, and beat PMag's every time.   PMags are fine.  But, when tested comparatively, Lancers are better.  Google: "Unscientific Magazine Comparison Test Site:Www.ar15.com", and behold.

When that test was dismissed, and someone recently tested both of them side-by-side again about 6 months ago, he concluded the PMags were better - but the data didn't actually agree, and again - the Lancers were still better.
The PMags are good, and very plenty much bigly good for everything you want to do.  And the Lancers are better.

View Quote

Because I tried Lancer L5 AWM in my sr25 and all they did was malfunction. Every mag. Bolt release...round (mk319) nosedived into the mag front wall, lol. The pmags and Sr25 mags functuoned flawlessly. Never tried lancers again in anything.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
View Quote

Why have to deal with dented mags? Polymer FTW.

I've used both Magpuls and aluminum USGI for years, really have no preference...but I've had more issues with aluminum mags than I have with Magpuls.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I've got a pile of gen 2 & 3 magpuls. No problems worth mentioning, but I prefer lancer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Buy a mix of quality mags from vetted manufacturers.

Shoot more/wonder less.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:09:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#39]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Because I tried Lancer L5 AWM in my sr25 and all they did was malfunction. Every mag. Bolt release...round (mk319) nosedived into the mag front wall, lol. The pmags and Sr25 mags functuoned flawlessly. Never tried lancers again in anything.
View All Quotes

?  This sub forum is AR15 >> Magazines, not AR10/magazines.

I run both brands of AR10 mags as well.  Both run fine for me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Why are people running mags other than Gen 3 PMAG's, unless the platform is unique or your goals are unique (20 rounders from the bench).
View Quote

They didn’t exist when I bought magazines.  Feel free to replace all my mags with your current coolness so I can be cool too. Otherwise I’ll run what I bought before it was too old for the new crowd.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:16:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#41]
Because Lancers exists.

Why run anything except Lancers?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:16:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#42]

View All Quotes

I've had this problem with their 308 magazines as well, bullet setback happened enough that I almost drove over my small pile to do us all a favor. Lancer 5.56/223 ones are nice and I haven't experienced any nosedives with them yet but they do send rounds out if bumped. More so than my Pmags.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Ive had the opposite experience. I took 5 brand new Lancer hybrid mags to a class last year. Took them out of the package myself. I hate feed issues with every single one of them. I wasnt able to fire a full mag at all without a stoppage. I even swapped mags with a few guys for them to try and see if it was rifle related somehow, and they had feed issues also. I switched to pmags the third day, and had zero issues.

These are the only Lancer mags ive ever tried, but it was prevalent enough that I wont use them again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#44]
On a separate note, one class that had a lot of DD 32's being used, had multiple spline cracking issues. I don't think that an AAR was ever done up about it and shared on Primary & Secondary though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Is this true or just being edgy in tech? Pics of USGI Pmag M3's with split mags to verify?
View Quote
There have been tests where Pmag feed lips can split when a full mag is specifically dropped on the feed lips . All mags can be damaged when dropped. The good thing is with Pmags, you can see it's damaged and toss it. As we know mags are disposable items. We forget this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#46]
pmags, e2 and d&h all good to go
the only possible gripe against pmags is they're a little thicker and may not be as slick in some lowers

I used to like Lancers, but their springs seem weak compared to any other mag. I have yet to have an issue with one, but it makes me not trust them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:43:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#47]
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:
Luddites.
View Quote

I resemble that remark.

OP, because the last generation of Okay / Surefeed aluminum mags fit in pouches better, are 100% reliable, fit in EVERY lower (unlike PMAGs) and drop free "easier" when you've subjected your gun to some mud or some debris has found its way into your mag well.

FWIW I've been using Okays and LaBelles since the mid 1980s, and PMAGs for about 15 years (I'm guessing).  I've had more issues with PMAGs than USGI.  In LMT rifles I get a lot of failure to go fully into battery when releasing the bolt with the bolt release on a full PMAG.  Zero issues with the same guns, same ammo, USGI aluminum mags. I have the same thing happen occasionally on Colts and KACs.  CANNOT stand how PMAGs fit in BCM lowers.  PMAGs are a lot like Glocks.  The amount of internet support is absurd and I feel like a lot of it is just people repeating what they've heard.  I suspect not a lot of people have tried a couple thousand mags in a couple hundred ARs through a couple hundred thousand rounds of ammo.  Glocks work, mostly. PMAGs work, mostly.  Is there a better mousetrap? I think so, but I still carry a Glock and own PMAGs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I will gladly trade anyone my NIW Gen2 or Gen3 PMAGs for your Okays.

Just hit me with a IM and we'll work out details.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Guy that thinks HK mags are anything but overpriced rust magnets must never leave his basement.

Can rarely go wrong with pmags. Sometimes I just want an Okay Surefeed though. Choices.   I have problems with the E2s feeding sims but that’s a little niche
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
Guy that thinks HK mags are anything but overpriced rust magnets must never leave his basement.

Can rarely go wrong with pmags. Sometimes I just want an Okay Surefeed though. Choices.   I have problems with the E2s feeding sims but that’s a little niche
View Quote

I bought some of these and e2, as well as 3 Vietnam era NIW alloy follower 20s. I view those 3 items as the tip of the spear for non polymer mags.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top