Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2020 1:26:28 AM EDT
Looked extensively all over the web for a 16inch carbine gas chambered in 223 Wylde and very few
manufactures offer this configuration.
I know a few terrible companies offer it and other then that I’m finding nothing.
I’m inclined to believe that there is a perfectly valid reason for this and would like to know why.

Why isn’t this a more popular option?

Thanks folks
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Because carbine gas just is far less common on 16 inch guns now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:11:50 AM EDT
[#2]
If you HAD TO  you could have the chamber on a .223 reamed to Wylde.
I just had that done to a Remington barrel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there a particular compelling reason you want carbine length gas?  Mid length is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not make a purchase based on gas system length alone, its not that important. Also I wouldn't make a purchase based on a wylde chamber alone either. Pick which ones more important to you and go with that. Neither makes enough different to solely base a purchase decision on just that one thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#5]
My Lilja Recon is 16" & carbine gas system.  Faxson makes 16" barrels that are carbine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#6]
It IS available.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DCC83501:
My Lilja Recon is 16" & carbine gas system.  Faxson makes 16" barrels that are carbine.
View Quote

How do you like the recon setup?

I’ve already looked at faxson and they only offer (according to their website) mid length and rifle
length in Wylde chambers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
16" Hybrid Contour, Carbine Gas System, 223 Wylde

Mfr Part: 15160HY6

Cartridge: 223 Wylde

Length: 16"

Barrel Weight: 2.0005 lbs

Contour: Hybrid

Finish: Parkerized

Gas System Length: Carbine, ...

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
If you really want one have someone build it for you. I’m sure White Oak or the like will build whatever you will pay for.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looked extensively all over the web for a 16inch carbine gas chambered in 223 Wylde and very few
manufactures offer this configuration.
I know a few terrible companies offer it and other then that I’m finding nothing.
I’m inclined to believe that there is a perfectly valid reason for this and would like to know why.

Why isn’t this a more popular option?

Thanks folks
View Quote

-The "terrible" companies make the bastard configurations

-The valid reason is that the proven companies you want to buy from are selling the midlength gas in 16" because it is proven.

-16" gas is not as popular as it was 10 years ago, the myths have been dispelled, and you should give midlength a try.

2 questions for you:
-Why 16" carbine gas?  (14.5 would be a better choice with CG)
-Why the Wylde chamber?  5.56 will do what you want.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kommando_K:

How do you like the recon setup?

I’ve already looked at faxson and they only offer (according to their website) mid length and rifle
length in Wylde chambers.
View Quote

Lilja is a laser.  Intermediate gas on Rainier UM is super smooth though compared to the Lilja
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Rock River Arms still makes a Nation Match stainless .223 Wilde upper in 16” stainless.

But yea, for 14.5” to 16”, mid length every time.
My first AR upper was a RRA 16” HBAR carbine, too much gas. Great accuracy though.
I’d focus less on the chamber and more on the manufacturer of the barrel. Sticking to .223 Wylde in a 16” carbine system doesn’t give you many choices.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DCC83501:
My Lilja Recon is 16" & carbine gas system.  Faxson makes 16" barrels that are carbine.
View Quote

^ ^ ^

Same here.  My Lilja 16” M4 Navy barrel is the same Recce profile as made by them for NSWC Crane SEAL Recce rifles.

1:8 Wylde chamber, carbine gas port location.  This is a match grade (actually benchrest grade - all they make) stainless  hand lapped barrel.  Available direct sale only from the barrel maker.  Very sub MOA (sub 1/2 MOA with match grade component handloads).

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Alaska511:

-The "terrible" companies make the bastard configurations

-The valid reason is that the proven companies you want to buy from are selling the midlength gas in 16" because it is proven.

-16" gas is not as popular as it was 10 years ago, the myths have been dispelled, and you should give midlength a try.

2 questions for you:
-Why 16" carbine gas?  (14.5 would be a better choice with CG)
-Why the Wylde chamber?  5.56 will do what you want.
View Quote

Lilja is a “terrible” company?  Do tell?

I realize that this is probably being made for the true Recce clone market, but is sure does shoot well.  I mean extremely well. There are other ways to control gas pressure than port location alone, and a 16” with carbine port can reliably shoot an extremely wide range of .223/5.56 ammo from weak low pressure to full power 5.56.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MS556:

Lilja is a “terrible” company?  Do tell?

I realize that this is probably being made for the true Recce clone market, but is sure does shoot well.  I mean extremely well. There are other ways to control gas pressure than port location alone, and a 16” with carbine port can reliably shoot an extremely wide range of .223/5.56 ammo from weak low pressure to full power 5.56.
View Quote

That’s exactly why my interest is piqued. I feel like a 16” carbine Wylde chambered would
be a reliable beast on paper but the fact that few manufactors offer this arrangement makes
me reconsider. I’ll look into lilja and criterion as others have mentioned, those are highly
regarded companies with good R&D so it seems promising.

16inch gas to eat street case, brass, shit ammo and good ammo.
Wylde chamber to shoot tight groups with match ammo if interested.
Seems awesome to me!

If anyone has this setup reply in thread and let us know your experiences.

Thanks yall
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Have one made by Black Hole Weaponry. They have a 30% off sale going on now. Long turnaround time, but solid in terms of accuracy and construction.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#17]
A good midlength barrel should run all ammo and the wylde chamber’s main purpose is to run both 223 and 5.56 safely with the minimum amount of free ore needed which might make it a bit more accurate than a dedicated 5.56 chamber.

I really think that you’re overthinking it and there’s a reason that particular configuration is not really used by anybody.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#18]

^ ^ ^

Same here.  My Lilja 16” M4 Navy barrel is the same Recce profile as made by them for NWSC Crane SEAL Recce rifles.

1:8 Wylde chamber, carbine gas port location.  This is a match grade (actually benchrest grade - all they make) stainless  hand lapped barrel.  Available direct sale only from the barrel maker.  Very sub MOA (sub 1/2 MOA with match grade component handloads).

https://i.postimg.cc/B6zdSmNF/IMG-1636-kindlephoto-796954074.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zBRcQw4f/IMG-3607.jpg
View Quote

Have that exact barrel!  sub MOA for sure!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#22]

I'd give them a shot... The 20" barrel I have from them is a tack driver... and they are "flying under the radar" with their low prices.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 3:23:43 AM EDT
[#23]
The reason carbine gas is not available with 223 Wylde is because carbine gas is inferior to midlength gas, just like the 5.56 chamber is inferior to 223 Wylde. No rational company would select the inferior gas system so it is rare. You will also see more 1/8 twists with that combination because it makes more sense than 1/9 or 1/7 twist.

There is NO advantage to a carbine gas 16" 223 Wylde barrel. I just want that to be clear to everyone. Mid gas will reliably cycle 45 grain .223 ammo, 55 grain steel Wolf crap, or 77 grain 5.56 ammo all just fine. The gas port size is less picky and lower port pressure creates less gas port errosion and change over a barrels life. It even works well with a low mass carrier and adjustable gas port. The very worst case scenariois would be 100% function with a failure to reliably lock the bolt on the last shot with the most low powered ammo when dirty and dry. Nothing more.... and even then only with a low mass carrier, no lube, and dirty.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The reason carbine gas is not available with 223 Wylde is because carbine gas is inferior to midlength gas, just like the 5.56 chamber is inferior to 223 Wylde. No rational company would select the inferior gas system so it is rare. You will also see more 1/8 twists with that combination because it makes more sense than 1/9 or 1/7 twist.

There is NO advantage to a carbine gas 16" 223 Wylde barrel. I just want that to be clear to everyone. Mid gas will reliably cycle 45 grain .223 ammo, 55 grain steel Wolf crap, or 77 grain 5.56 ammo all just fine. The gas port size is less picky and lower port pressure creates less gas port errosion and change over a barrels life. It even works well with a low mass carrier and adjustable gas port. The very worst case scenariois would be 100% function with a failure to reliably lock the bolt on the last shot with the most low powered ammo when dirty and dry. Nothing more.... and even then only with a low mass carrier, no lube, and dirty.
View Quote

So I have to ask why carbine length gas is available at all then?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So I have to ask why carbine length gas is available at all then?
View Quote

Because of old ideas and old tooling. People get stuck in there ways. There’s really not a good argument for it on a 16” barrel.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#26]
There is McGowan Precision.

They will make you a completely custom barrel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

^ ^ ^

Same here.  My Lilja 16” M4 Navy barrel is the same Recce profile as made by them for NWSC Crane SEAL Recce rifles.

1:8 Wylde chamber, carbine gas port location.  This is a match grade (actually benchrest grade - all they make) stainless  hand lapped barrel.  Available direct sale only from the barrel maker.  Very sub MOA (sub 1/2 MOA with match grade component handloads).

https://i.postimg.cc/B6zdSmNF/IMG-1636-kindlephoto-796954074.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zBRcQw4f/IMG-3607.jpg

Sub 1/2 MOA capable with carefully worked up handloads with match components.

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]
^^^  Nice ^^^^

I see both this barrel and my Rainier Arms UM being better than me for sure!  Damn, I have to stay away from reloading!  if I start down that rabbit hole, I'm screwed!
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#29]
try RRA OP
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top