Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2018 9:03:55 AM EDT
I’ve had the Blade, now I’ve got the adjustable Blade, got the SBPDW, and the SBA3.

I like them all but really lean toward braces with no rubber, no strap.

The new adjustable Tailhook (mod 2?) doesn’t seem to be nearly as popular as the SBA3.
Why is that?
Price?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I’ve had the Blade, now I’ve got the adjustable Blade, got the SBPDW, and the SBA3.

The new adjustable Tailhook (mod 2?) doesn’t seem to be nearly as popular as the SBA3.
Why is that?
Price?
View Quote

I would say price is the big factor.
I think that the SBA3 using a mil spec tube is a big attraction for most people also.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both, I like the tailhook better, but wish: 1) they used a carbine tube and 2) had an aluminum option.

Just bought the SplitFix for SBA3 to deal with the rubber arms.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve got two Tailhook Mod 2s.  Only thing I wish they had was an integrated QD cup.  Other than that, they’re perfect.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have both, I like the tailhook better, but wish: 1) they used a carbine tube and 2) had an aluminum option.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I’ve got two Tailhook Mod 2s.  Only thing I wish they had was an integrated QD cup.  Other than that, they’re perfect.
I'm not a big fan of braces, but I did pick up a mod 1 because there are some uses for a pistol lower. Just looked at the Mod 2, and it honestly looks like a downgrade. Yes, it's adjustable, but the plastic and dropping the QD cup seems like a poor decision. I wouldn't have gotten the mod 1 if it wasn't for the aluminum construction.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not a big fan of braces, but I did pick up a mod 1 because there are some uses for a pistol lower. Just looked at the Mod 2, and it honestly looks like a downgrade. Yes, it's adjustable, but the plastic and dropping the QD cup seems like a poor decision. I wouldn't have gotten the mod 1 if it wasn't for the aluminum construction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Meh, it’s plastic, like pretty much every other stock or brace out there.  Aluminum is nice, I guess, but nowhere near a requirement for my uses.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Aesthetics for starters and adjustability of the SBA3 makes it the best option on the market IMO. I just like the way the SBA3 looks in comparison to the tailhook. With the SBA3 you can tuck the cuffs up inside and tighten the strap to shorten the height of the butt end of the brace. Doing this allows for a comfortable, rigid, and well profiled option for shooting. Similar to a sopmod profile...
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I also have 2 and agree.  I also love there in no strap involved.  I think price point is the reason the sba3 is more popular.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I just swapped out a SB3 for a Mod 2 on one pistol because I liked the brace function and design of it more than the SB3 for that particular item.

I put the SB3 on another build since it seemed to fit it better.

Either has its place.

I only found a $20 difference in price between the two when shopping around.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just swapped out a SB3 for a Mod 2 on one pistol because I liked the brace function and design of it more than the SB3 for that particular item.

Either has its place.

View Quote
Really? SBA3's are running about $90 right now and may dip lower on CyberMonday :)
Please post link where you are seeing Tailhook Mod2 for $110 including shipping?
we'd all appreciate it :)
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Really? SBA3's are running about $90 right now and may dip lower on CyberMonday :)
Please post link where you are seeing Tailhook Mod2 for $110 including shipping?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either has its place.

I didn't say that I got the SB3 for $90 when I got it, nor did I say I paid $110 for my Mod 2.  When I did the SB3 was $129 & the Mod 2 was $149.

The cheapest I see the Mod 2 is $123.94 from here....

Mod 2
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
With prices currently running less than $125 this puts the Mod 2 at a competitive price point with some of the other adjustable braces out there.

As far as no QD socket, I have a QD on my backplate that works well for me so it is not missed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Was looking at the Item on Primary Arms site. It says at the bottom " Not storage capable". What does that mean???
Can it not be stood up in a gun safe? Or what?

https://www.primaryarms.com/gear-head-works-tailhook-mod-2-pistol-brace
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was looking at the Item on Primary Arms site. It says at the bottom " Not storage capable". What does that mean???
Can it not be stood up in a gun safe? Or what?

https://www.primaryarms.com/gear-head-works-tailhook-mod-2-pistol-brace
View Quote
It has no storage compartment or tubes like other stocks such as the SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it somewhat also has to do with looks. Tailhook2 is meh plus it has the proprietary tube...

SB is the original...I run their PDW brace and love it.

I bit pricey...but I got it for $180 during OP sale on them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#15]
It comes down to personal preferences.  I read that you would need electrical tape to keep the brace from wobbling but mine is very solid.  It's not rubbery and no Velcro straps.  It's more of a legitimate brace if the ATF ever tightens it's standards. I like mine a lot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It comes down to personal preferences.  I read that you would need electrical tape to keep the brace from wobbling but mine is very solid.  It's not rubbery and no Velcro straps.  It's more of a legitimate brace if the ATF ever tightens it's standards. I like mine a lot.
View Quote
+1 Mine also is rock solid and I agree with your comment on ATF regs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:39:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the Mod 1 and the Mod 2. I like the Mod 1 better. The Mod 2 is a little bulky, but certainly much better than some of the older rubber braces.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I am literally on the fence deciding whether to buy a mod 2 or not.
In CA, no SBR (and I would SBR at least four lowers if I could).

So pistol way is the only way for me.
Have SBA3s and love them, BUT I am more of an older gun type of guy and have been wondering if my two Colt 733  upper clones would look better with a mod 2 than with the modern looking (and well functioning) SBA3.

Absolutely only a matter of looks for me - this must be clear in my case.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty happy with mine. Not perfect, but its good. I still think Magpul needs to get into the brace market and make a better one and combine the best features of the sba3 and the mod2.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Wanted to like the tail hook, but the locking mechanism feels cheap and looks worse yet when you see how it goes together. The butt end is very slick as well which annoys me. It’s relegated to my .22.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wanted to like the tail hook, but the locking mechanism feels cheap and looks worse yet when you see how it goes together. The butt end is very slick as well which annoys me. It's relegated to my .22.
View Quote
Thanks! Definitely kept me from buying one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wanted to like the tail hook, but the locking mechanism feels cheap and looks worse yet when you see how it goes together. The butt end is very slick as well which annoys me. It's relegated to my .22.
View Quote
which mod?

@csrevenant
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks guys.

Lots of good input here.
Just what I was looking for.

I need another brace like I need another ex wife.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
which mod?

@csrevenant
View Quote
Mod 2, the adjustable one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I was looking to buy one for these types of classic builds (727-ish, 733's etc.) but I feel the Tailhook wouldn't add to what the SBA3 does in terms of looks.
Function wise - and with the addition of a split-fix - SBA3s are amazing AND I love, simply love, the fact that they go on standard buffer tubes:

733s
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why is that?
Price?
View Quote
I had two mod 2 Tailhooks, sold them. The quality was lacking, cheap hardware, a lot of molding edges, just an overall cheap feeling piece.
The SBA3 is a much better brace
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top