Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 11:50:20 PM EDT
Seriously, WTF is this shit? There some otherwise damn fine products on the market that drive me nuts because of this. How difficult can it be to mill a couple little nubs in there. Nobody wants their damn sling getting all twisted and tangled.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Preach
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Seriously, WTF is this shit? There some otherwise damn fine products on the market that drive me nuts because of this. How difficult can it be to mill a couple little nubs in there. Nobody wants their damn sling getting all twisted and tangled.
View Quote
Sustained!
I use 550 cord to limit rotation
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate the rotation limiters.  They call them a swivel for a reason.  They are especially bad on qd endplates.

there is a reason they are an improvement over hk snaps.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate the rotation limiters.  They call them a swivel for a reason.  They are especially bad on qd endplates.

View Quote
So you're the one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Add JB weld bumps in a couple spots in the groove, or tie some paracord to one side of the swivel to whatever is nearby.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#7]
For the two replies mentioning 550 cord to limit rotation: doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of QD sling attachments?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate the rotation limiters.  
Same.
Please explain.

I can't see any reason why I'd ever want it the swivel to be able to spin freely 360 degrees.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please explain.

I can't see any reason why I'd ever want it the swivel to be able to spin freely 360 degrees.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate the rotation limiters.  
Same.
Please explain.

Because they always seem to stop in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For the two replies mentioning 550 cord to limit rotation: doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of QD sling attachments?
View Quote
Sure.  But paracord also retains the sling when the QD breaks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
How about why are they milled into ALUMINUM hand guards?

Had to buy a replacement (keymod socket, got a BCM one) because my hand guard is wallowed out...

I don't care too much that the BCM part I got is limited rotation, but it definitely keeps the sling from getting twisted up. Wasn't a major issue before though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, QD sockets should be RL (unless you’re still living in the early 90’s).
My worst offender- MFT Minimalist stock. That stock is perfection... except the cheap non RL QD socket.
Those that prefer non RL obviously don’t sling much (or with gear), or they’d understand how easily you get all twisted up. Great for fudds though!
OP, I’m with you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I finally broke down and bought MagPul MLOK QD sockets WITH rotation limiters to add to my hand guards. It feels silly having to add these when there is a built in flush socket on the hand guard.

I honestly have no idea how anyone could prefer a non limited socket.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I honestly have no idea how anyone could prefer a non limited socket.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:55:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How about why are they milled into ALUMINUM hand guards?

Had to buy a replacement (keymod socket, got a BCM one) because my hand guard is wallowed out...

I don't care too much that the BCM part I got is limited rotation, but it definitely keeps the sling from getting twisted up. Wasn't a major issue before though.
View Quote
Glad I read this before ordering a handguard with built in QD sockets. I didn't even think that the sockets would wear, but it definitely makes sense.

Might be able to drill out the damaged socket and add this all steel socket. They should have steel inserts on the sockets to begin with.  
https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-micro-mount/
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Glad I read this before ordering a handguard with built in QD sockets. I didn't even think that the sockets would wear, but it definitely makes sense.

Might be able to drill out the damaged socket and add this all steel socket. They should have steel inserts on the sockets to begin with.  
https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-micro-mount/
View Quote
I've used QD socket on an aluminum Daniel Defense handguard for nearly a decade with no sign of wear at all.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#20]
DD just happened to have a sale today on a pistol upper parts kit with the 12" handguard I'm looking for.

I'll have an extra complete upper receiver, barrel and gas tube at a price less than the Midwest handguard alone. Made from 6061 Al and has a limited lifetime warranty. I couldn't find this particular handguard for sale by itself so DD might be dedicating remaining inventory to this kit.

Of course it ended up costing more overall because of other stuff I couldn't pass up from DD on sale

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top