BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2021 11:01:32 AM EDT
I went to  brownell and saw that they are not making any more of the Retro carbines or rifles nor parts does anybody know why they got out of them they seem to be making pretty good parts I bought the car 15 upper and it was nice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
No market.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know they quit. Was just thinking like everywhere their items are mostly OOS.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No market.
View Quote

I disagree. Retro market is as strong as ever.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of them are still available to buy as a complete rifle, they’re just out of stock, at least that’s what this page represents. Same with many of the parts, just out of stock.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/general/clientpage.aspx?bapid=606
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it’s a few things.

First of all, their marketing on them was doing it to the wrong crowd.

Second, there were quite a few issues with them that spread like a wildfire that they didn’t put out or fix quick enough so a lot of people being turned off on them.

They were decent rifles but for the money they were MSRP for, a lot more work needed to be put in. Like the furniture was a huge turn off for alot of people
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been out of the game for a few years and only jumped back in when I heard of the 601 parts kits coming in from PR. That being said I was a bit turned off by the news of Brownells making certain repop parts, like do they mark any of the small parts so they can't be passed off as original? On the flip side I really like the way the handled the Colt Scope repops by essentially getting ahold of the original makers (Hakko) and striking a deal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been out of the game for a few years and only jumped back in when I heard of the 601 parts kits coming in from PR. That being said I was a bit turned off by the news of Brownells making certain repop parts, like do they mark any of the small parts so they can't be passed off as original?
View Quote

The parts are so far off they didn’t need to mark them ??
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, that bad? I haven't seen any of their 601's or Proto builds up close, was concerned about things such as 601 Port Doors, Sight Wheels, bolt catches, as well as transitional parts.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No market.
View Quote

I'm sorry I must disagree with you it was you a 100%. I think there's a big market out there but seems like every manufacturer just stop short of making it work it's work with me it's always been with the markings.. I don't see how if E how companies can get in trouble for making is for making US property markethat's property markings and things like that is that period I hope with PSA is  owning H & R they may have the rights to use the H & R logo and name I'm not sure but that would be a real game-changer. I would definitely be in for an M16 A1 with the h r logo on it. I'm an old fogy who carries an M16 and I love them. When I got out of the army I was in Houston and I want to the Astrodome at a gun show and I purchased a Malaysian Colt M16 parts kit everything was there except some of the receiver. The rifle looked unissued so years ago I bought a nodak receiver in gray. And assembled the rifle it looks a hundred percent correct except when I flip it over and I see the nodak name and address,
I know legally they have to put that on there but I would rather see the correct markings and then have the legal stuff on the inside of the trigger housing like some other companies use but I know it'll never be a real Colt M16. Thank you I'll get off my soapbox now and please don't beat me up for my spelling and my grammar 59 years old I know I can't spell I know I can't write please forgive disabled veteran
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh, that bad? I haven't seen any of their 601's or Proto builds up close, was concerned about things such as 601 Port Doors, Sight Wheels, bolt catches, as well as transitional parts.
View Quote

Brownell’s did not go for the fine details.  They did not make/use 601 port doors, Sight Wheels, bolt catches, or transitional parts
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm sorry I must disagree with you it was you a 100%. I think there's a big market out there but seems like every manufacturer just stop short of making it work it's work with me it's always been with the markings.. I don't see how if E how companies can get in trouble for making is for making US property markethat's property markings and things like that is that period I hope with PSA is  owning H & R they may have the rights to use the H & R logo and name I'm not sure but that would be a real game-changer. I would definitely be in for an M16 A1 with the h r logo on it. I'm an old fogy who carries an M16 and I love them. When I got out of the army I was in Houston and I want to the Astrodome at a gun show and I purchased a Malaysian Colt M16 parts kit everything was there except some of the receiver. The rifle looked unissued so years ago I bought a nodak receiver in gray. And assembled the rifle it looks a hundred percent correct except when I flip it over and I see the nodak name and address,
I know legally they have to put that on there but I would rather see the correct markings and then have the legal stuff on the inside of the trigger housing like some other companies use but I know it'll never be a real Colt M16. Thank you I'll get off my soapbox now and please don't beat me up for my spelling and my grammar 59 years old I know I can't spell I know I can't write please forgive disabled veteran
View Quote
I agree Frank. Plenty of demand. Used Brownells Retro stuff goes for well over retail on Gunbroker.
I think it's a supply issue.
The same way we can't get parts for retro builds, neither can brownells.

Link Posted: 8/12/2021 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately, a broken charging handle on a BRN-10 will soon be as hard to find as an original Dutch AR10 charging handle.  Brownellls would have been better off with a more faithful AR10 remake that shared more parts of rarity and value: sight wheels, charging handles handguards, pistol grips, to name a few.  Of course it made perfect sense for Brownies to use the DPMS LR306 style bolt group, fcg, and stock.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No market.
View Quote
I think it was more of a missed market.

There is a market for Retro stuff, but a lot of the serious buyers in that market want as close to 100% exact replica as possible.  The Brownell's retro line was more of a "retro-inspired" concept, and they didn't get all the fine details exact.  This turned off a lot of the clone-correct retro crowd, and probably hurt their sales a bit.  Combine that with the high cost of doing custom runs and all the design work meant the items would be priced high and thus lack appeal to the general AR-user crowd.

They bet the investment on trying to appeal to a middle road between the casual AR owner wanting something unique and the fine detail retro crowd, and in the doing so lost appeal to them both in different ways.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I think Brownells will come out with retro rifles and parts (I know some parts are not 100% correct) for a brief time every few years.  It build up demand with a whole new group of younger people looking to get into the retro game w/o paying for original parts.

Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

Brownell’s did not go for the fine details.  They did not make/use 601 port doors, Sight Wheels, bolt catches, or transitional parts
View Quote

^^^

Example? Their Proto that they market as “the first AR-15” really isn’t that close to “the first AR-15” if you really know what you’re talking about.

Same with the rest of the models… good enough for most average Americans that are somewhat interested in retro… but to the real retro fans, not even close.

I’m glad they tried it though. I did buy a BRN-10 that I can make a relatively faithful clone out of that I can shoot the hell out of without destroying a collector’s item, at a fraction of the cost. I haven’t shot it yet though and it is an early one, so it might have the tight chamber that caused jams and turned a lot of people off to the Brownells rifles, as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm still working on my proto rifle. Other than the fact that I can't get it sighted in, it is close enough to the original for me since it is a range toy. Personally I wouldn't buy another rifle from them but the parts I got for my other "retro" builds seemed to work out ok. Hopefully I can get the proto to sight in but don't have much time to put in it right now. Still 2.5 inches low at 25 yards with the sight post almost to the point of disappearing......
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

^^^

Example? Their Proto that they market as “the first AR-15” really isn’t that close to “the first AR-15” if you really know what you’re talking about.

Same with the rest of the models… good enough for most average Americans that are somewhat interested in retro… but to the real retro fans, not even close.

I’m glad they tried it though. I did buy a BRN-10 that I can make a relatively faithful clone out of that I can shoot the hell out of without destroying a collector’s item, at a fraction of the cost. I haven’t shot it yet though and it is an early one, so it might have the tight chamber that caused jams and turned a lot of people off to the Brownells rifles, as mentioned above.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^

Crap like this turned me off…

Original sight wheel cutout…

Attachment Attached File

Repro- cutout…

Attachment Attached File

They fucked up the details…
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Details and furniture…Buttpad attachment executed awful, etc.

Not bad for close enough & the price in some ways, but a little more attn. to the details would have been worth the extra $$.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 1:53:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't say they are getting out of the retro game, just pulling back slightly. They aren't ditching the whole line, just some of it. They are getting away from grey anodizing and will do cerakote instead. That's somewhat disappointing, but understandable.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#20]
im sure this is gonna ruffle some feathers, but a lot of this thread seems to be nitpicking on a product that is directed towards the average person who wants some retro styled stuff without having to go to some guy on some website and pay 6900 pesos for some 1:1 scale reproduction of a doohickey that was only made for one picosecond in 1963 at lake titicaca arsenal or some shit. now there is a place for clone correct things for the collector and enthusiast but expecting brownells to make a 100% faithful reproduction and getting pissy about it is a really silly thing to get mad about, just my 2 cents though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think Brownells will come out with retro rifles and parts (I know some parts are not 100% correct) for a brief time every few years.  It build up demand with a whole new group of younger people looking to get into the retro game w/o paying for original parts.

View Quote

I'd bet if they run batches of parts every now and then they would move them. Lots of decent parts to base a clone build off of, but for the last year the market wants 16" carbines for the next riot.
Remember people here on this site are not the normal American, we are already well into the gun world, look at the background checks for the last year and a half, almost every month was double what it was the year before. Several places saying 5+ million people in 2020 bought their first gun. The shops would be stupid to keep cranking out A1's  and  20" 1/12 barrels when everyone is looking for a flat tops with a 16" 1/7 twist.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd bet if they run batches of parts every now and then they would move them. Lots of decent parts to base a clone build off of, but for the last year the market wants 16" carbines for the next riot.
Remember people here on this site are not the normal American, we are already well into the gun world, look at the background checks for the last year and a half, almost every month was double what it was the year before. Several places saying 5+ million people in 2020 bought their first gun. The shops would be stupid to keep cranking out A1's  and  20" 1/12 barrels when everyone is looking for a flat tops with a 16" 1/7 twist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if any of these new gun owners stick around at this long enough they will all want 20" barreled retro ARs in the end... It's a learning journey, you start out buying the most basic 16" carbine on the shelf and then you blow thousands tacticalizing and customizing the sh!t of every AR you buy (or build) and in the end you just realize that the most basic simple-ish 20" barreled AR is what you should have settled on all along. At least that's kinda the running theme I see with the crowd that's been at this forever... Including me.

A lot of people do come full circle and stick to carbines too, but they just get more back to basics as time goes on and end up ditching most of the fancy add-ons and tacticool sh!t.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess I’m just an old foggie, I’ve never been into the tacticool stuff. I built my first AR in 1984 and made it look just like the one I was using in the Army. This was prior to being issued an A2 , or even seeing one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#25]
People are nick picking be glad they did it if you want correct build it yourself Brownells filled a market where nobody else could it's pretty much their in terms of retro so the 601 isnt all 100% so I got the other parts to bring up to 100% look alike no biggie. God just enjoy them shoot them have a good time quit b#tching.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
People are nick picking be glad they did it if you want correct build it yourself Brownells filled a market where nobody else could it's pretty much their in terms of retro so the 601 isnt all 100% so I got the other parts to bring up to 100% look alike no biggie. God just enjoy them shoot them have a good time quit b#tching.
View Quote

Not faulting you for having this mentality, as that is the market brownells was going for. But you are in the Retro Forum of AR15.com. A place where people will pay $150 for a firing pin, $2500+ for a barrel, $1000 for a demilled magwell with a rare roll mark, etc. just to get their clone to be as close to the real deal as possible. People who are that detail oriented and passionate about it are the people who are going to post here and are not the market Brownells was going after / failed to entice. If they’re willing to spend that sort of cash on those parts to get the details right, then the Brownells rifles don’t make any sense at all… again for the people we are generally talking about in this forum.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I don’t think they are out of the game.  The last 18 months have been unprecedented concerning demand.  As another stated, the country wanted 16“ A4 carbines.  Every machine in the industry was cranking those out.  Big B could not find anyone with an open machine.  Every machine’s runtime  was dedicated to the 16” A4 platform 24/7 for over a year.

I’m guessing within six months most retro parts, as well as the XM, A1 &177 will be in stock.  The BRN10 excepted.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#28]
601 parts from PR?  What’s PR?
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
601 parts from PR?  What’s PR?
View Quote

Puerto Rico
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/quantum-cloning-a-colt-model-601-brought-back-to-life/
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I'm glad Brownells got in the Retro game. I got an early BRN-601 right after Shot Show 2018 and have had a lot of fun with it. Heck, you actually can shoot this thing so what's the down side of buying one? Owning a BRN-601 doesn't stop you from building a mostly authentic 601 if you want. But you probably won't shoot it much.

Since then I got smarter and caught sales for the Proto and BRN-10. Then when BRN-10 parts were being dumped at the end I built two more. I skipped their XM16E1 and M16A1 repros because I got M16A1 parts kits and Nodak lowers to come close enough. If nothing else, working on all these kept me busy during covid lockdown. Better parts from John Thomas, more correct paint and a good sling make them look pretty good. Good enough that 95% at the range love them. Heck, I had a real A1 in Vietnam and I sure love what some of you masters are building. (Sometimes I even understand what you're talking about! ) But on my budget these "clones" are good enough. So thanks Brownells.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#31]

There were quite a few 601 parts kits from PR, but MOST did not come like the one pictured in the above article.  Very few of them came with original waffle mags, and even fewer came with original 601 furniture.  However, the original barrels, bolts, and uppers WERE great for builds.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There were quite a few 601 parts kits from PR, but MOST did not come like the one pictured in the above article.  Very few of them came with original waffle mags, and even fewer came with original 601 furniture.  However, the original barrels, bolts, and uppers WERE great for builds.
View Quote

Mine came with black Type C furnature (left side hg must of been replaced with a 70's matte black drain hole type), had the later W barrel, Circle 1 mag, and was missing the bolt catch, few rollpins, and the trigger gaurd but was significanly cheaper than the ones with all early parts. I'll stick with the Type C set as I have a replacement for the left side and I've been trying to source out a real Bolt Catch but so far no luck.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No market.

Quoted:
I disagree. Retro market is as strong as ever.

Niche market.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Here is the deal you will never get an exact replica PERIOD no matter how ma y parts that are oem it's never going to be exact fact is if it's not select fire then guess what all the edgewater buffer ,dimpled pins ect ect it isnt factory is it?   The fact is Brownells came close you have slick side upper and lowers when have we had these on mass market .
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Mine came with black Type C furnature (left side hg must of been replaced with a 70's matte black drain hole type), had the later W barrel, Circle 12 mag, and was missing the bolt catch, few rollpins, and the trigger gaurd but was significanly cheaper than the ones with all early parts. I'll stick with the Type C set as I have a replacement for the left side and I've been trying to source out a real Bolt Catch but so far no luck.
View Quote

Mine came with a type C stock as well.  It was advertised as a “possibly non original” barrel, so I got a deal on the kit.  However, they just did not know where to look for the markings, and it had an original 1/14 twist barrel with a MINT bore.  Mine had no Mag, and the Edgewater buffer was missing, but EVERYTHING else was there for just $1600.  By the way @HipShOT what is a “Circle 12 mag”?  Also, I sent you an IM about the 601 bolt catch you need.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Mine came with a type C stock as well.  It was advertised as a “possibly non original” barrel, so I got a deal on the kit.  However, they just did not know where to look for the markings, and it had an original 1/14 twist barrel with a MINT bore.  Mine had no Mag, and the Edgewater buffer was missing, but EVERYTHING else was there for just $1600.  By the way @HipShOT what is a “Circle 12 mag”?  Also, I sent you an IM about the 601 bolt catch you need.
View Quote

Sorry that was a Typo, meant Circle 1..... It was just an earlier version of Colt's .223 mag. Also, you got a better deal than I did, paid $2000.00 and my only other complaint was some light rusting on the barrel, duckbill, and FSB.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Where were they selling these kits at?
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Where were they selling these kits at?
View Quote

Most were sold on Gun Broker
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not faulting you for having this mentality, as that is the market brownells was going for. But you are in the Retro Forum of AR15.com. A place where people will pay $150 for a firing pin, $2500+ for a barrel, $1000 for a demilled magwell with a rare roll mark, etc. just to get their clone to be as close to the real deal as possible. People who are that detail oriented and passionate about it are the people who are going to post here and are not the market Brownells was going after / failed to entice. If they’re willing to spend that sort of cash on those parts to get the details right, then the Brownells rifles don’t make any sense at all… again for the people we are generally talking about in this forum.
View Quote

I would say this...  there are some people here who will do all that, and I respect y'all.  But I feel like there's also people in this sub-forum who are okay with the "close enough," and I say that because I'm one of them.    I just feel like not everybody here is the "correct firing pin crowd," and honestly I think sometimes the "close enough" crowd is ignored or minimalized here.  I just think the place is big enough for everybody, "correct" and "close enough."
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm in the "close enough" buyer crowd.  I got mine close enough for most people at the range to take a closer look. It has the same balance and feel of the original to make an old veteran smile while holding my M16A1 clone.  I carefully sourced look alike parts from sources including Brownells at prices that didn't make my family go hungry.  I know I can easily sell it for what I have into it.  I will never have the M16A3 I had while in the Navy but that is OK with me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The simple fact is the machine time is better spent making the gobs of large market parts that are in demand. ?????

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

That's the first rule of "marketing" right there.  First you find out what gizmo most people will actually pay money for, and how much, then you figure out how to make and sell a product that meets those demands.  Is why and how VW/Porsche sold more mass market Beetles than niche market 911's.  Retro = niche/911 and generic flat-top car-beans = mass/Beetle.

The first duty of a business is to make money, and plenty of it, and niche markets are not where most of the money is.  Right now, the market is screaming for generic flat-top car-beans.  The market is not screaming for a wide product line - possibly too wide - of retro-inspired guns, some of which had problems in their execution, and had small details in appearance which offended a rather vocal set of critics.  Not saying the critics are wrong.  

I've been involved in some product roll-outs that were successful and some others that were not successful.  After 40-odd years in industry, I guarantee that's how all of this sales and marketing stuff works, regardless of whatever product or industry is under discussion.  It appears from the outside looking in, that Brownell's tried to do too much all at the same time with inadequate controls in place.  Too aggressive.  But I give them a lot of credit for trying.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I’m in the close enough crowd and I agree with many here that if you want original, you have to pay big dollars for that level of detail.

I’m good with close enough since my M16A1 clone is a clone, along with my M4 Carbine…. It’s a clone…. Hell, my HK-94 is a clone of a MP5.

I’ll never have the money for a real M16, so a close enough is good enough for me.

I can’t wait till PSA releases their retro lowers and for Brownell to release more retro 14.7” and 20” barrels.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
People want exact replicas of the original stuff but are not willimg to pay the price required to make exact replicas.

Despite the claims that the retro market is “huge” -it isnt, (I know the production numbers on a lot of the retro stuff brownells has made) certainly not on the scale required to allow manufacturing volumes that can bring the price down on “exact replicas” to where people want it.

The simple fact is the machine time is better spent making the gobs of large market parts that are in demand. ?????

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought two and would have bought more. And a bunch of parts. Could have done a little better on furniture.

I believe the demand is there, but they didn’t stock up enough at the beginning.
The 605 went out of stock as soon as it became available.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#46]
I just don’t understand why the couldn’t parkerize parts like selector, take down pins, port door etc in gray rather than black.  Same with the black anodized trigger guard.  Makes the guns look off to me and I’m just a casual retro guy.

Those are little details that could have been addressed for likely less than $10 per gun.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I really just need a barrel for a 733 clone. Some of these guns basically don't exist anymore, so the idea that what Brownells was selling "wasn't" good enough is mindblowing to me. If you're willing to fork over absurd amounts of cash for parts that are close, but not just buy a tranny M16, I think you're insane.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Personally I think the entire Brownells retro line is/was junk. They looked great at 50 yards, good at five feet, and atrocious at five inches. I purchased one their M-16E1 retros. The flip sight wouldn’t work, the butt stock was crap, the specs on pistol grip way off, anodized finish a color that I’d NEVER seen on a real M-16E1, and the charging handle, selector-literally every part on the upper and lower were flat black. I should’ve just told my dealer to return to it Brownells but I thought I could correct the flaws-which to a degree I did, albeit for hundreds of dollars by putting original parts on it. Finally I just said, “SCREW THIS!” and bought a nice 1967 SP1 and lucky for me flushed the Brownells turd for what I put into it. And yeah-I DO shoot the SP1. Brownells could’ve put another $300.00 into these rifles and turned them into true QUALITY retros but they chose to target the audience of rubes who didn’t know the difference and guys desperate for anything-even an 80% solution. There is a HUGE demand for QUALITY retros in the $1500-$1800 range that a person does not have add vintage parts on to look “retro”
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Unfortunate. I like their chromed .308 retro BCG's. I have them in my 2 PSA rifles.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Personally I think the entire Brownells retro line is/was junk. They looked great at 50 yards, good at five feet, and atrocious at five inches. I purchased one their M-16E1 retros. The flip sight wouldn’t work, the butt stock was crap, the specs on pistol grip way off, anodized finish a color that I’d NEVER seen on a real M-16E1, and the charging handle, selector-literally every part on the upper and lower were flat black. I should’ve just told my dealer to return to it Brownells but I thought I could correct the flaws-which to a degree I did, albeit for hundreds of dollars by putting original parts on it. Finally I just said, “SCREW THIS!” and bought a nice 1967 SP1 and lucky for me flushed the Brownells turd for what I put into it. And yeah-I DO shoot the SP1. Brownells could’ve put another $300.00 into these rifles and turned them into true QUALITY retros but they chose to target the audience of rubes who didn’t know the difference and guys desperate for anything-even an 80% solution. There is a HUGE demand for QUALITY retros in the $1500-$1800 range that a person does not have add vintage parts on to look “retro”
View Quote

dude, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but your who post is literally cope and seethe over basic recreations for the mass market because it isnt in one shade of peepee grey made in 1969 for one picosecond in penistone arsenal in buttfuck kansas. you really need to get your head out of your butt son.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top