Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2018 9:40:41 AM EDT
Seems like most of the better sights have red dots only but was wondering why the cheaper models have both red and green illumination?

I have a green laser Viridian on my Springfield XD that shows up in the daylight, so does the green dot do anything special or is that just a selling gimmick for cheaper red dots?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's a gimmick.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one. you could watch the reticle shift as you changed colors. needless to say, it did not hold zero.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Mostly a gimick however I can tell you that red is eaiser to see under some circumstances and green in others.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mostly a gimick however I can tell you that red is eaiser to see under some circumstances and green in others.
View Quote
After posting I started researching and found that the green dot would "appear brighter" with less illumination power thereby extending battery life.

The Daniel Defense DDHB keeps coming up on the "best budget" red dots so I just ordered one for my grandsons 20ga as I wanted a wider lens. I'll see how it does.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had one. you could watch the reticle shift as you changed colors. needless to say, it did not hold zero.
View Quote
If it's LED projection, yes. If it's LED illumination of an etched reticle, it shouldn't.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, I have no idea why dual illumination isn't more prevalent.

I find Green fantastic for daylight, but too bright on any setting for twilight or darker. Reverse for Red, washes out too easily in daylight, perfect for twilight and darker.

My Weaver Tactical 1-5×24 is dual illumination and excellent quality (made by LOW in Japan).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top