BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/28/2018 2:16:14 PM EDT
Been shopping around, I need a set of serviceable flip-up sights for my new upper, and I'm definitely suffering some sticker shock.  Seems the least expensive for something better than Airsoft quality is around $60, and from there, it goes straight to $200+.  Seems excessive, or am I just been a tight wad?  Any suggestions in the sub-$100 range?  Thanks.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on how quick you need them wait around and see if PSA has any sales. I picked up a Magpul MBUS set on their Thanksgiving sale for $50 shipped, normally the set would cost closer to $95. Or you could just keep hitting the EE, cheap sets come up for sale quite often but you might have to compromise on color.

I think the MBUS from Magpul are the best bang for your buck for a sub $100 set. Over $100 I like the MBUS Pros which are metal.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
mbus...49$ at PSA
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree,  I settled for cheap chinese 45 degree since I have an Aimpoint. I trust that it will not fail me but I wish that lighter weight for flip ups did not cost so much.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
People make the mistake of thinking they are your primary sights.
they are not..

If you are not going to be fighting any wars, you dont need any.

If you have a red dot and you compete in some sort of shooting match and you think that for some reason your super awesome  optic will go down in competition then thats a reason to buy a BUIS.  It will allow you to finish the match.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If you really need backup sights, just get the Magpul MBUS sights.  They're polymer but they're pretty durable and on sale you can get 'em for under $60 a set.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
$40 Matech and $60 YHM front on the EE if you want metal. Otherwise buy Magpul MBUS
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You can get all-metal TROY BUIS for right around $100.  I have TROY and YHM.  IMO, both are quite good.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Been shopping around, I need a set of serviceable flip-up sights for my new upper, and I'm definitely suffering some sticker shock.  Seems the least expensive for something better than Airsoft quality is around $60, and from there, it goes straight to $200+.  Seems excessive, or am I just been a tight wad?  Any suggestions in the sub-$100 range?  Thanks.

Dave
View Quote
lol I have thought the same thing...I ended up finding a used rear MI BUIS on Ebay. Maybe try that or the ar15.com equipment exchange page.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they are not..

If you have a red dot and you compete in some sort of shooting match and you think that for some reason your super awesome  optic will go down in competition then thats a reason to buy a BUIS.  It will allow you to finish the match.
View Quote
War-fighting, no?

Self defense, yes!  Counting on a red dot and having it (or its battery) fail could ruin your whole day

Losing a range day because the red dot sight dies is a real PITA.

These are not war-fighting but both really SUCK.

Why are they so expensive?  Most likely due to market forces (labor cost, advertising cost, supply-demand, prevailing prices,...).
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
$40 Matech and $60 YHM front on the EE if you want metal. Otherwise buy Magpul MBUS
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
$40 Matech Ebay/EE kac micro 2-600 rear and $60 YHM DD front if you want metal. Otherwise buy Magpul MBUS
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#12]
MBUS.  It’s about the cheapest you’re gonna get while still being reliable.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#13]
~$50 for DD fixed front and either a matech or arms 40 rear for ~$40-80 off the EE.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, they are a rip off as a general rule. Compare that materials involved vs, say, AR stocks or receivers or even rails and it's kinda silly to spend $150-200 on them. I generally go on-sale MBUS, though on a few guns I do get DD fixed fronts or Magpul pro LR rears. Depends on the application. Sometimes ya gotta pay to play I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
All my ARs have Troy battle sights. All of them have been bought off the EE here for a max of $115 for the set.

ETA: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Troy-Iron-Sights-Black-HK-Front-115-shipped/163-1735106/
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]
They cost what the market will bear.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Having used chicom sights vs a number of progressively more expensive sights, I can say it pays to spend a little more money.

Cheap chicom sights won't survive a fall.  Those that I've seen/used generally had so much "wiggle" when deployed it wouldn't have done any good to zero them since your POI would change between shots and/or each time they were raised and lowered.

Middle of the road BUIS like yhm are fine.  They had more sharp edges and didn't tend to be as low profile as others.  Otherwise they worked just fine.  I preferred GG&G...They seemed better thought out than yhm.

Moving up in price corrects the above issues while remaining durable.  PRI, KAC, Troy, etc are in this category.

More expensive than that? I don't know, never used them

Also never used magpul sights but they tend to get decent reviews.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Been shopping around, I need a set of serviceable flip-up sights for my new upper, and I'm definitely suffering some sticker shock.
View Quote
I'm curious about what you think sights that are durable and consistent out of the box cost to develop, tool up for, and make.

Magpul, YHM, and Midwest Industries all make sights that work for a reasonable price.   They'll do what most people do unless they're building a clone or need more clearance for a scope.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
We hate Troy but god help me I love their sights!

I have 3 ARs, all with fixed A2 front sights. 1 has Matech rear, one has Troy rear, one has Magpul rear.  I agree, the shit costs too much.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Back up sights need to be rugged.  They need to fold and deploy consistently with no change in zero.  They need to be able to be zeroed easily and stay zeroed through reasonable abuse.  And they need to be reasonably light.  They should have dual rear apertures, one relatively large for rapid target acquisition, the other small for more precise shot placemrnt.

Doing all of these things reliably and repeatedly requires good design, material and workmanship.

Frankly, getting a good front and rear folding backup sight for under $100 is a challenge.  Magpul's MBUS gets it done.  I would not go cheaper.

If you have a fixed A2 front sight block then you can get the rear MBUS for under $60, less used.  They are almost indestructable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:29:00 AM EDT
[#21]
On pretty much all of my guns I have a fixed FSB and then a back up rear but when I do need a front sight on a rail it is always a fixed one like the LMT, Troy, or DD etc. that you can pick up for $40-50 here on the EE or new for under $50.  If you are a flip front sight type of guy then the Mbus PRO is one I see fairly often around $60ish , $65 easy.  I am sure there are others that beat this price I just don't look at them much.

For the rear I tend to like a flip rear sight but sometimes use fixed ones too.  A fixed DD A1.5 rear sight can be picked up around $50 here on the EE fairly often and a Mil-Spec carry handle can be found $40-45 fairly often and you can cut it down easily to allow installation of your favorite red dot.

When it comes to a flip rear sight there are countless options... my favorites are probably the Troy's but they run about $70-80 (sometimes cheaper on the EE).  A great sight for the money is the KAC Micro that the USMC uses you can pick up every day for $50 and they are about as good as it gets but only allows one aperture which is fine for a back up.  Matechs are even cheaper at the $35-45 price pretty often and work well for what they are but aren't my first picks since they tend to have issues staying closed when they get wore out.

And as many others have mentioned the MBUS can be had for $50-60 for the set at times and about $70-80 or less every day without sales.  A great cheap combo is a Troy fixed front sight for $45, and a MBUS rear for about $35-40.  Substitute any sight you like to suit your needs...

And to those of you who don't see the point in running back ups that is fine by me but all of my guns are fighting guns.  I doubt I ever have to use them for that but in the case that I do I want them to be ready to go and not worry about failure.  I also don't have a problem running cheaper Holosun, PA, Vortex etc. red dots for this very reason, they work great and if I ever do have an issue I still have my back up sights.  We all have our own reasons for why we buy or collect guns and I understand why some don't feel the need to have back up sights but for me I feel the need to have them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I recently got these for around $82 shipped and they're really nice

Optics Planet had them on sale for $96 and they'll let you use a 15% off code if you call (says not valid on sale items or Sig Sauer products if you try to enter it online)

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-iron-sight-set-flip-up-m1913-rail.html
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They cost what the market will bear.
View Quote
This is the best answer in the entire thread. Generally speaking, manufacturers list MSRP super high because people will pay it, plain and simple. If the market won't pay and the manufacturers & retailers can't move product, to stay profitable they have no choice but to lower the price or quit making the product. Yes, sometimes higher cost is to recoup R&D and all that, but companies that copy others its not a factor (I like griffin armament, but their BUIS are basically KAC copies). Its simple economics.

That said, I believe any rifle that MIGHT be used in a defensive manner should have quality BUIS, period. Optics can go down, anything and everything can break, usually at the most inopportune time. Almost all my BUIS are KAC for folding or DD for fixed, but I always buy used, new prices for KAC are way up there IMO
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#24]
At the upper end of these prices, might as well put the money towards a backup red dot (RMRs are under $350 or a holosun) or laser.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
At the upper end of these prices, might as well put the money towards a backup red dot (RMRs are under $350 or a holosun) or laser.
View Quote
And when batteries or mechanical issues cause that optic to fail, then you need the backup.

Its not either/or.  It is both/and.

My HD carbine run Leupold's Deltapoint Pro.  Duty grade. But it is absolute cowitness height with an A2 FSB and a folded Magpul MBUS behind it.

Stuff happens even with good equipment, and when you least expect it.  Anything made by man can fail.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:38:17 AM EDT
[#26]
true, but if you've got a tank of an optic (trijicon, aimpoint pro etc.), it's more survivable than backup irons so....yeah. It's a bit like pinning your hopes on the bullet resistance of a t-shirt after your ceramic plate fails. It's not outside the realm of sanity to run a durable optic, and then train to point shoot. In the vast majority of imaginable defensive shooting scenarios, point shooting is likely viable, with sufficient training. Maybe not for a war, but hardly any AR15s in America will ever be used in a war, even if there IS a major SHTF.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Palmetto has been running a deal on a Magpul set.  With the code it comes out to $49 and includes free shipping.  Can't really beat that.  Got a set myself last week.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-gen-2-mbus-front-rear-back-up-sight-set.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Palmetto has been running a deal on a Magpul set.  With the code it comes out to $49 and includes free shipping.  Can't really beat that.  Got a set myself last week.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-gen-2-mbus-front-rear-back-up-sight-set.html
View Quote
Thanks for the tip! Can't beat this deal

I've been running the magpul sets on everything with a red dot primary sight but none on other rifles with glass etched reticle optics.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
What's the code?  Without that, they cost $93.

Doh!  code = MBUSSET, as imbedded in the picture.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Just as an observation, I'd wager to say that BUIS are the one rifle accessory that has the highest adoption and lowest use rate in the AR world.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just as an observation, I'd wager to say that BUIS are the one rifle accessory that has the highest adoption and lowest use rate in the AR world.
View Quote
You're probably right, I sight mine in and really never use them again but it just doesn't feel right not having them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I recently had a reticle come loose (I go to look through it and reticle was atc45 degrees and shakes around like it's loose). It was on an optics only AR that I had built for hunting. I thought " man, that would suck to happen on a guided hunt I'd payed good money for" so now I just put A.R.M.S. 71l buis on it today. I also just put a gg&g MAD BUIS on another m4 that previacly only had an optic. No scense ending a hunting trip early because the optic fails.

The cheapest acceptable buis I found are utg. They aren't great, but they seem to be servicable. Springfield uses a utg rear buis on the saint. They're $20. I have that sight and the matching from on one gun that I only use optics on. I also have a utg fixed from sight (lmt clone) on one rifle that is irons only.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:40:25 AM EDT
[#33]
You can find a set of Troys sight here on the EE for around $125. I prefer metal sight over plastic one. The Magpuls MBUS are also great and cheap.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
they are not..

View Quote
It's ironic because the people that do fight wars are starting to use them less and less.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:47:25 AM EDT
[#35]
sort of ironic, sorta not. If I ever fight in a war, I won't have a $700B budget and the military industrial complex handing me new sights when I break them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
One could probably say the same thing about the spare tire in or under your trunk.  Or the air bag inside your steering wheel.  You hope to never use either, but are glad they are there when they do get used.

With backups we get to train to be proficient with them.  And, we should.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

One could probably say the same thing about the spare tire in or under your trunk.  Or the air bag inside your steering wheel.  You hope to never use either, but are glad they are there when they do get used.

View Quote
I suspect the number of folks who've had to use their spare tire, seatbelt or air bag is much higher than those who've had to use their irons.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I suspect the number of folks who've had to use their spare tire, seatbelt or air bag is much higher than those who've had to use their irons.
View Quote
Yep. More and more vehicles don’t come with a spare tire anymore. Not even an option on 1 of my vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Good made in USA stuff cost money, no was around that. Your alternative is Chinese/Gun Show sights.

Or just buy quality used on EE here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

been driving since 1986. Had 2 flats total. been in 1 accident. Never deployed a airbag.
never had to use my BUIS because my optic broke.

Been shooting AR's 25 years.

Always take 2 identical rifles to every match... Thats way cheaper than a $80 MBUS set.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
been driving since 1986. Had 2 flats total. been in 1 accident. Never deployed a airbag.

Always take 2 identical rifles to every match... Thats way cheaper than a $80 MBUS set.
View Quote
Ever had your batteries die, before during or after a match?  Preventative maintenance really helps avoid this but I thought I'd ask.  Is replacing them part of your pre-match prep?

Personally, I am so sensitized to red dot failures because of my EOTech experiences, I don't trust any of them ...
but my Aimpoint just keeps cranking along   .
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ever had your batteries die, before during or after a match?  Preventative maintenance really helps avoid this but I thought I'd ask.  Is replacing them part of your pre-match prep?

P
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P
no. I do the prep.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#43]
As somewhat of a non-sequitur, if MBUSs continue becoming the default choice for a lot of people, should we technically start referring to them as BUPS instead of BUIS?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Bought several sets of MBUS from Granite Ridge, they are a site supporter here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bought several sets of MBUS from Granite Ridge, they are a site supporter here.
View Quote
and on sale..

http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Magpul-MBUS-Front-and-Rear-Sight-Set-Various-Colors-MBUS-SET.htm
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Another classic case of don't like what I don't want you to like in tech.

The OP never asked to be disuaded from buying them. That means that you're not being helpful even the slightest.

All of my rifles have them. Now whether I'll actually use them is uncertain. But I'll never have a gas rifle that doesn't have them and no amount of arguments will ever change that.

And sorry, no not sorry for bursting your bubbles but we all don't use nor vision our guns the same. You're going to have to accept that or not comment about it at all. You aren't the only ones who knows a thing or two or has used them when it mattered. Deal with it and let that sink in that you're not our betters when it comes to deciding yes or no on a BUIS...and again, that wasn't asked at all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I have practiced using the top side of my RDS. Nothing says you have to pew pew looking thru something..
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:You're going to have to accept that or not comment about it at all....blah blah...and again, that wasn't asked at all.
View Quote
False choice, anyone here can clearly both a) not accept that and b) make all the comments they want. In any event, the OP is having trouble justifying the added expense of high-priced BUISs. As such, a discussion on whether or not that expense is a necessary one at all is clearly within bounds.

The Danial Defense fixed front is a great sight, and can be had on sale or with a discount code for about $50. Every once in a while I see them in the $40-ish range on the EE.

For the rear, poly magpuls are prolly the cheapest rear I would run, but I like the Magpul Pro LRs much more. $70-90, but they are really nice sights. These (metal) options give me the confidence that they are sufficiently durable to function as backup sights....and they aren't $200 combined either.

I do feel the OPs frustration with this. It's annoying that you can get a nice BCG, which has MUCH higher materials/machining costs, for less than the price of a nice rear sight. It's regular old economics, of course, everyone (that wants an AR) has to have a BCG...but just a sliver of that population invests in nice back up sights. Massive scale advantage for the BCG. Still, it's annoying. I pretty much never feel like I got a 'good value' when I buy backup sights. Not like I do when I buy a rail or stock or grip or whatever. Muzzle devices are similar to the sights in a lot of ways. "what do you mean a 1" Battlecomp costs $150?!"
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Aero's BUIS is $110, way better than any of the sub-$100 offerings IMO

http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Aero-Precision-AR15-Flip-Up-Sight-Set-Front-and-Rear-APRH100703.htm
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
sort of ironic, sorta not. If I ever fight in a war, I won't have a $700B budget and the military industrial complex handing me new sights when I break them.
View Quote
I agree. If you're running a $400 Leupold VXR Patrol or one of the $300 LPVs from Vortex or PA they're probably worth the extra $100 or so you can find nice aluminum ones for used. But if you're spending the money on super high quality/durability optics like a lot of folks are (Aimpoints, ACOGs, Elcans, Razors, etc) one can probably skip them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top