Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Having a different opinion is no problem and it does not bother me at all, but I don't believe they are in the 90K area either and saying those days are long gone is also something we don't know, you never know what someone is gong to find in a warehouse somewhere, I have seen it happen more than a few times over the years.  I know when I was in the service working in various Armories, we found a lot of boxes and cases of stuff that had never been used and would not be used in the future, I don't know what happened to much of it because we were concerned with keep our current weapons up to snuff.

There is really no accurate way to know what parts are still around from the Vietnam era.  It was a chaotic time and lots of inventory sheets were doctored up a lot back then.
View Quote
Also, remember there is a difference in what people are willing to pay on EE then on GunBroker.  Maybe not a $55K difference but you know what I mean about different sites commanding different prices.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm just saying that I've sold items for a "premium" in the past.  Stuff that I really don't want to sell but throw out there for giggle just to see if it will - the extra money takes the sting away from the sale.  Sure, the guy is fishing at $90K, but I'm not gonna hate him if he actually reels one in - more power to him.
View Quote
I won't fault him one bit if he gets his price, that is not what I am been talking about, more power to him if he does, that will mean a bunch of the rest of us can actually ask and may possibly get way more for our stuff.

You can always ask and if you get it more power to you!

One thing I think comes into play more often than we like to think is regions of the country and what you already own.  If this is his only FA gun, it is priceless to him, if you are like me, I have a few of them, so not so priceless to me.  Collectables is a very subjective market, if you have never owned something, then it is worth the cost of admission, if you have own a few of them, not so much.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I won't fault him one bit if he gets his price, that is not what I am been talking about, more power to him if he does, that will mean a bunch of the rest of us can actually ask and may possibly get way more for our stuff.

You can always ask and if you get it more power to you!

One thing I think comes into play more often than we like to think is regions of the country and what you already own.  If this is his only FA gun, it is priceless to him, if you are like me, I have a few of them, so not so priceless to me.  Collectables is a very subjective market, if you have never owned something, then it is worth the cost of admission, if you have own a few of them, not so much.
View Quote
Think of it this way.... In 1994 if one was lucky, you could buy a transferable M60 for $6-8K.... What does that same transferable M60 go for today? I think prices are going up quicker than people think.  Eventually it'll hit the 601 market.  Lets say a 604 upper.  5 years ago, you could get for $100-125... Now you are looking at $225-250.  You might say that's just a $100 increase but it is also a 100% price increase as well.  Right now, the 100% increase hasn't hit the higher end market like the mid end, but I predict it will.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Think of it this way.... In 1994 if one was lucky, you could buy a transferable M60 for $6-8K.... What does that same transferable M60 go for today? I think prices are going up quicker than people think.  Eventually it'll hit the 601 market.  Lets say a 604 upper.  5 years ago, you could get for $100-125... Now you are looking at $225-250.  You might say that's just a $100 increase but it is also a 100% price increase as well.  Right now, the 100% increase hasn't hit the higher end market like the mid end, but I predict it will.
View Quote
I got my Stoner 63A in 1994 for $12K and a 601 at that time was advertised on the high end at $1200.

I think the seller is dreaming if he thinks he can get 100K for a 601 now, will he in 10 years? Who knows but possibly but at that point what will other MGs cost?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m not trying to be sarcastic here, but it sounds like the Colt 601 rifles are worth (a lot) more to member 604guy than their current market value dictates. As is always the case, an item is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it. Therefore, I would humbly suggest that 604guy might consider buying one (or more) Colt 601 rifles at the current “grossly undervalued” (to him) market price.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m not trying to be sarcastic here, but it sounds like the Colt 601 rifles are worth (a lot) more to member 604guy than their current market value dictates. As is always the case, an item is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it. Therefore, I would humbly suggest that 604guy might consider buying one (or more) Colt 601 rifles at the current “grossly undervalued” (to him) market price.
View Quote
I'm waiting for a better one to come along.... I figure it'll run me $100K but I deserve the best
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Dang! I sold my three digit 601 with all the accessories for much less than that. It was to a buddy who bought several MGs from me, so I gave him a break (a hellova break compared to 89k). I've sold most of my collectables, because I'm getting older and can't see having machine guns I can't shoot. Still from 30/35k to 89k in a year....dang.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dang! I sold my three digit 601 with all the accessories for much less than that. It was to a buddy who bought several MGs from me, so I gave him a break (a hellova break compared to 89k). I've sold most of my collectables, because I'm getting older and can't see having machine guns I can't shoot. Still from 30/35k to 89k in a year....dang.
View Quote
Is this one yours or was it another one that sold a year ago for $35K?

Colt 601 Ensemble
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]
That Sturmgewehr one was mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys, not to rain on anyone’s parade, but based on what I saw this spring from this seller, I would tread carefully.

When I was looking for a pre-86 M16A1 this spring, I scoured the net trying to determine market value, including closed auctions and anything posted on forums or GB. As I recall, this seller had several, ahem, “generously” described M16s for sale with lots and lots of retro keywords. I might be picky, but to me, a 614 is NOT an M16A1, because it does not say “M16A1” on the mag well. On top of that, I would not pay a premium for a 614 over a M16A1 when market had 614 about 20% under an M16A1.

I wish GB had a more detailed ended auctions view so we could look further into his history.  We can, however, get a snapshot. Look at his recent sales - they include a Pre-May MG. This isn’t a regular joe on a fishing trip to pay for for his daughter’s medical bills. This is a dealer trying to draw top dollar for retro MGs, with all the correct search terms to match.

I don’t know all the minutiae of what’s correct for a 601 versus a 601 receiver restored to “original condition.”  I’ll leave that final determination to you retro experts. I could be wrong and this rifle is truly a unicorn “barn find”, but I think prudence dictates caveat emptor applies.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When you say "every accessory" does that include the semi auto selector? I'd love to see pictures of one
View Quote
I'm not familiar with a semi-auto selector for the 01.  Was this something that was actually available for purchase in early '60?
Any detail/documentation would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not familiar with a semi-auto selector for the 01.  Was this something that was actually available for purchase in early '60?
Any detail/documentation would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote
From a 1960 published Colt Contractors Operation Manual:

Attachment Attached File

The semi auto selector was also listed on a published list of 601 accessories. I'm just having trouble finding it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey guys, not to rain on anyone’s parade, but based on what I saw this spring from this seller, I would tread carefully.

When I was looking for a pre-86 M16A1 this spring, I scoured the net trying to determine market value, including closed auctions and anything posted on forums or GB. As I recall, this seller had several, ahem, “generously” described M16s for sale with lots and lots of retro keywords. I might be picky, but to me, a 614 is NOT an M16A1, because it does not say “M16A1” on the mag well. On top of that, I would not pay a premium for a 614 over a M16A1 when market had 614 about 20% under an M16A1.

I wish GB had a more detailed ended auctions view so we could look further into his history.  We can, however, get a snapshot. Look at his recent sales - they include a Pre-May MG. This isn’t a regular joe on a fishing trip to pay for for his daughter’s medical bills. This is a dealer trying to draw top dollar for retro MGs, with all the correct search terms to match.

I don’t know all the minutiae of what’s correct for a 601 versus a 601 receiver restored to “original condition.”  I’ll leave that final determination to you retro experts. I could be wrong and this rifle is truly a unicorn “barn find”, but I think prudence dictates caveat emptor applies.
View Quote
Is there something wrong with a dealer using correct search terms for the firearm he has listed for sale?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

From a 1960 published Colt Contractors Operation Manual:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282730/manual-660403.JPG

The semi auto selector was also listed on a published list of 601 accessories. I'm just having trouble finding it.
View Quote
Great--another treasure hunt!
I'm curious if anyone here has ever actually seen one of these.

Oh, and if you find the list of accessories, I'd love to see it.  I've gathered everything I am aware of after years of hanging around here--but if I've missed the semi-auto selector, perhaps there's something else?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh, and if you find the list of accessories, I'd love to see it.  I've gathered everything I am aware of after years of hanging around here--but if I've missed the semi-auto selector, perhaps there's something else?
View Quote
From what I can remember the semi auto selector is the only real oddball item. The other stuff was more common and well known (delfts, bayonet, slings, mag pouches, waffle mags, grenade ring and energa dummy grenades, manual, blank firing adapter, aluminum rod cleaning kit, bipod + pouch)

I have never even seen a picture of the semi auto selector but seem to recall them being made for overseas work. I still need the cleaning kit and semi auto selector if you happen to stumble across more than one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From what I can remember the semi auto selector is the only real oddball item. The other stuff was more common and well known (delfts, bayonet, slings, mag pouches, waffle mags, grenade ring and energa dummy grenades, manual, blank firing adapter, aluminum rod cleaning kit, bipod + pouch)

I have never even seen a picture of the semi auto selector but seem to recall them being made for overseas work. I still need the cleaning kit and semi auto selector if you happen to stumble across more than one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a member here that owns one but has kept it top-secret, not because he didn't want people to know about it, but because it would be very easy to fake.  The fake part would be indistinguishable from a real one with the talent of some of the machinists out there.  I'm not sure of the proof marks on the back side (assume the E in a circle), but I have seen a picture of the part.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#17]
...and I was seconds away from posting pictures, but the only way I was allowed to see them was to promise not to share. Sorry boys. .  I'll talk to him about maybe sending it to the trustworthy folk, but I know he doesn't want it on the open forum.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...and I was seconds away from posting pictures, but the only way I was allowed to see them was to promise not to share. Sorry boys. .  I'll talk to him about maybe sending it to the trustworthy folk, but I know he doesn't want it on the open forum.
View Quote
THANKS FOR KEEPING THE PROMISE ASD,, much appreciated. You ARE a man of your word!
I am the owner of the original Colt made semi only selector available for the M601s.. Willp was the researcher who was able to ID what it was when I got it. In one of the original 601  manuals there is a line that says "the semi auto selector was available at the unit commanders request".
And as said by ASD, I will not post pics of this very uncommon item.. Sorry Guys.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

THANKS FOR KEEPING THE PROMISE ASD,, much appreciated. You ARE a man of your word!
I am the owner of the original Colt made semi only selector available for the M601s.. Willp was the researcher who was able to ID what it was when I got it. In one of the original 601  manuals there is a line that says "the semi auto selector was available at the unit commanders request".
And as said by ASD, I will not post pics of this very uncommon item.. Sorry Guys.
View Quote
Will you provide any more info on how it works? I'm trying to picture how it will only function as semi in any position. Does it looks like a normal auto selector with the shark fin removed?
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

People with that kind of cash do not ever get "that kind" of cash by paying double or triple for things they want.
View Quote
yes but that's when you are talking about real estate, yachts or jets. At $90k, this is cheaper than a used Lamborghini!
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is there something wrong with a dealer using correct search terms for the firearm he has listed for sale?
View Quote
There's nothing wrong with using correct terms to describe what you have for sale.

I see an issue when you list a Colt 614 as an M16A1 with corresponding M16A1 price (albeit high end) when a 614 generally sells at -20% under M16A1.
I see an issue when there are contradictions between description and posted photos.
I see an issue when all the correct retro buzzwords are used but do not describe the item for sale (keyword spamming.)
I see an issue when speculation and conjecture are used in a description ("This space could have been used for...")

Based on the pattern of behaviors I saw, coupled with possible deficiencies noted in this thread, I would stop and say "Hmmm...." before I wrote a check for what appears to be roughly triple current market value.  In fact, it's why I did not purchase from this seller.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm certainly going to sit on my Colt 601 for a very long time. I'm pleased to hear of some of these current asking prices starting to take off like this (realistic or not). The bottom line is that these are rare guns and very, very few in the NFA registry (Saw a story on American Rifleman). I paid 22K for mine in the year 2013, with a 2 gun purchase deal, the other being an M16A1.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm certainly going to sit on my Colt 601 for a very long time. I'm pleased to hear of some of these current asking prices starting to take off like this (realistic or not). The bottom line is that these are rare guns and very, very few in the NFA registry (Saw a story on American Rifleman). I paid 22K for mine in the year 2013, with a 2 gun purchase deal, the other being an M16A1.
View Quote
I need to move to a free state
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you post a thread about it in the past? Perhaps asking for an ID before you knew what it was? I seem to recall seeing pictures of one posted before but, my memory is fuzzy. I think it's got some kind of "unique identifying feature" in the middle of the thumb pad?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#25]
delete
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
delete
View Quote
I totally understand the edit and secrecy. If it's what I remember seeing, I definitely get it.

I can already imagine the shifty gunshow guys and sleazy gunbroker sellers trying to pawn off fakes for some stupid price.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I totally understand the edit and secrecy. If it's what I remember seeing, I definitely get it.

I can already imagine the shifty gunshow guys and sleazy gunbroker sellers trying to pawn off fakes for some stupid price.
View Quote
Ya, I don't have a dog in the fight, as I don't own one.  But you're definitely right.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think there could be a fascinating thread where we describe (text, no pics) what goodies we have that are not to be photographed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:43:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
People with that kind of cash do not ever get "that kind" of cash by paying double or triple for things they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People with that kind of cash don't care what the price is, 50k, 90k, if they want it they want it.
I wonder what happened to JFK's AR15's that Colt gave to him, imagine the auction  Price on one of his guns!
Perhaps true of those who earned it themselves. But once they have it, especially if they inherit it...

And it's all relative. If I'd won a $300,000,000 lottery I'd drop that kind of coin if I wanted to; $90k would be chump change at that point.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I realize the game is to over ask and settle on a fair price.  But the market is whatever someone is willing to pay.  Kudos to the guy fishing for $90,000, IMO... I wish him the best and hope he gets $120,000 for it.  Maybe next month he'll lower the price - in any case I hope he gets as much as he can.  If the market is really at $30-35k then I guess he'll be sitting on it for awhile.  But I personally feel anyone letting a 601 NFA go for less than $45k is either a "motivated seller" or desperate.
View Quote
I hope he gets 200k
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've seen that several times on original rifles.  But it's not shiny black--it's almost maroon.
From 000748:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/131420/01-07-655475.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also what jumped out at me is the receiver extension that's gray in the front and shiny black after that like a modern tube. The lower might have been refinished with Norrells or something. Kinda looks like overspray on the front of the tube. The lower looks way too good for it's age imo.
I've seen that several times on original rifles.  But it's not shiny black--it's almost maroon.
From 000748:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/131420/01-07-655475.JPG
It's my understanding that the buffer tubes were anodized and then treated with a spray-on coating to provide a certain amount of lubrication.
This coating was gray and easily wore off with friction such as might occur between the buffer tube and the stock, exposing the black (or purplish) anodizing underneath.
That's probably why many old "gray" guns show a black buffer tube flange when it "should be" gray. Shine a light inside a gray buffer tube and see what color it is in there - I believe the gray coating was really to lubricate the buffer and spring, not the outside.

Not to hijack the thread, but I think it's relevant to mention as to that coating, remember that Armalite was a subdivision of Fairchild Aircraft. The coating is an engineered aviation coating commercially known as Perma Slik, and is still produced in several forms by Everlube Products (Perma Slik product information page here). Everlube products is a business unit of Curtiss-Wright, which had its origins as an aviation company.

Some long-time members may recall buying Perma Slik in spray cans from georgaprecision.com (not georgiaprecision.net, the gun maker in Kansas City, MO) to refinish old 20-round magazines back before "retro" was a thing. (Thread from 2001 here.)

Perma Slik is still available from aviation supplies vendors like SkyGeek , PilotsHQ , Neely Industries and others for about $25/can. Not cheap, but it goes a long way.

From the Neely Industries product page: "Perma-Slik G is an air drying, MoS2 based, solid film lubricant with an epoxy binder system. This coating provides a low coefficient of friction, good corrosion resistance, and performs best in higher load carrying applications. Perma-Slik G is qualified to MIL-L-23398 and MIL-PRF-46147C. Typical applications are for coating fittings, connectors, guide rails and tracks, bushings, shafts, splines, cams, seals, clamps, and couplings. This is also used by the military and gun enthusiast to refinish AR-15 and other gun magazines."

As Trump recently said at a rally, "Don't tell anybody this, it's a secret, but..." Want a gray buffer tube? Buy a black one, clean it with the correct solvent, spray with Perma Slik.Attachment Attached File
   Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Found an old can from 2001 that I'd kept as a reference:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#33]
How would someone know if the rifle was Colt manufactured or just put together from the proper components. Back in the day, parts kits and individual components were easy to find. If there is nothing to verify the authenticity of the rifle, I don't see how it would bring that kind of money. Are people that naive.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How would someone know if the rifle was Colt manufactured or just put together from the proper components. Back in the day, parts kits and individual components were easy to find. If there is nothing to verify the authenticity of the rifle, I don't see how it would bring that kind of money. Are people that naive.
View Quote
Listing shows location as Nashville, TN.

And we can't find the guy.....

The FFL07 SOT and Full Auto crowd here in Middle Tennessee that I strap-hang out with are at a total lost as to who this guy is.  Efforts to reach him to view his weapons have been unsuccessful.  Two of the biggest FA collectors in this area with the deep pockets to buy whatever in the hell they want have tried to contact him, but the comms go dead once the request to see the firearms is asked.

Can't say if its a security concern, or things aren't as they appear.

Just Odd.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top