Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2018 8:15:50 PM EDT
If someone here really, really, really, really wants one here is your chance.

Colt 601 auction on gunbroker
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I won’t pay a penny over $89,998.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
starting bidf of $90K...pass but that norinco for $1800 got my eye but thats still too high.

A colt preban small pin stripped lower $1200
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
He (seller) forgot to hype that it's a C&R...
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw this too and about died haha.  Isn't the market price somewhere around 35k?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw this too and about died haha.  Isn't the market price somewhere around 35k?
View Quote
Yes I would say so. Even something that has every accessory is maybe $50k
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Somebody will bite at that price. He doesn't seem to be in any hurry to sell.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw the one advertised as an "ensemble" with just about every accessory you could want that was advertised at 35k a couple years ago.  THAT woulda been the one to snatch up.  Too bad school is in NY and home is CA
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh Moses smell the roses.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
People with that kind of cash don't care what the price is, 50k, 90k, if they want it they want it.
I wonder what happened to JFK's AR15's that Colt gave to him, imagine the auction  Price on one of his guns!
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#11]
It’s ok! He has 90 day layaway!!  30k a month for 3 months and its all yours

It does have nice pictures of what an original 601 looks like
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I saw the one advertised as an "ensemble" with just about every accessory you could want that was advertised at 35k a couple years ago. THAT woulda been the one to snatch up. Too bad school is in NY and home is CA
View Quote
Ah man, double whammy

I've got family all over, however, they happen to be all in ban states.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#13]
A few things that are off to me are the drain hole in the stock screw, VP marked barrel, no dimpled sight screw, no roll pin in the lower, stock has a rusted stud but nothing else is really aged like that. Other than those super picky details, overall it is one of the nicest 601's I have seen. Near the end of the life too I believe to all those could be correct pieces which I dont doubt.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Also what jumped out at me is the receiver extension that's gray in the front and shiney black after that like a modern tube. The lower might have been refinished with Norrells or something. Kinda looks like overspray on the front of the tube. The lower looks way too good for it's age imo.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe he is only willing to part with it at that price.... What's wrong with that?  More power to him if he gets it...  I hope he gets $120,000 for it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
People with that kind of cash don't care what the price is, 50k, 90k, if they want it they want it.
I wonder what happened to JFK's AR15's that Colt gave to him, imagine the auction  Price on one of his guns!
View Quote
If you’re referring to the “Coconut Rifle,” serial #106, which was claimed to have been fired by Kennedy but not officially documented, that rifle sold for over 100k a while back. It was documented to have been fired by General LeMay.  I bought a set of green 601 furniture off of a guy who claimed to have had it stolen from him a long time ago. The furniture was in pristine condition, apparently coming from the Cooper MacDonald trust, which is where the rifle was shipped from Colt.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It does have nice pictures of what an original 601 looks like
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#18]
A similar example, if not that gun, was at KC a few years back... It had the full package of accessorize too.  I think it sold for 35K high market at the time... Now Id say market is 40-45K... If they were serious it would go to a large auction houses like Morphy, RIA or Cowan with a REAL reserve amount.

PTRS
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you’re referring to the “Coconut Rifle,” serial #106, which was claimed to have been fired by Kennedy but not officially documented, that rifle sold for over 100k a while back. It was documented to have been fired by General LeMay.  I bought a set of green 601 furniture off of a guy who claimed to have had it stolen from him a long time ago. The furniture was in pristine condition, apparently coming from the Cooper MacDonald trust, which is where the rifle was shipped from Colt.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/463351/D081CCB5-DDE3-448B-92DF-0741D81D4C4B-653483.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/463351/BFF22CE6-4F5E-4C1C-A37E-7B47A633C902-653484.JPG
View Quote
I'm not sure, but I absolutley did read about Colt giving JFK a couple of AR15s (probably real 601's as I'm sure there is some presidential NFA exemption, or back then, if not, who would dare say a word anyway) a photo of JFK firing an AR15 off his boat & the caption with the photo said Kennedy was using his AR15 for  shooting sharks.
The photo was even posted here a few times, here is an Archived thread about this, but the links to the photos are now DEAD! My guess is that the commie keepers of the internet scrubbed the photos because they couldn't have the sheeple seeing an icon like JFK using such an evil weapon of death and destruction, it does not fit the narrative.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Is the sling right? Man, I'd like to see it I'm about 30 miles away. Can someone contact seller and find out if it can be viewed?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not sure, but I absolutley did read about Colt giving JFK a couple of AR15s (probably real 601's as I'm sure there is some presidential NFA exemption, or back then, if not, who would dare say a word anyway) a photo of JFK firing an AR15 off his boat & the caption with the photo said Kennedy was using his AR15 for  shooting sharks.
The photo was even posted here a few times, here is an Archived thread about this, but the links to the photos are now DEAD! My guess is that the commie keepers of the internet scrubbed the photos because they couldn't have the sheeple seeing an icon like JFK using such an evil weapon of death and destruction, it does not fit the narrative.
View Quote
"Consignor provided a list of some of the first twenty AR-15s and what may have happened to them, as follows: #000101 – Presented to Mr. John MacDonald, Cooper MacDonald Corp.; #000102 – Presented to Mr. Dick Boutelle, President of Armalite Division, Fairchild Hiller Corp. These two rifles were presented at Colt on 26 Dec. 1959 by Fred Roff, President of Colt with Eugene Stoner & Bob Freemont in attendance. Consignor shows that numbers 000102, 000103, 000104 & 000105 were presented to Heads of State (or other dignitaries) in South Viet Nam, India, Cambodia & Singapore."

It wouldn't be out of the question.  Very interesting, I've never heard the tale or seen the pictures.  This was the only rifle that I was aware of that had a potential JFK connection (which is disputed.)  However, talking about prices, this is probably the most highly sought after 601 that has ever come up for sale.  With other 601s costing anything from 35-50k, I don't see how this one is worth 90k when #106 sold for 103k.  That might just be me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is the sling right? Man, I'd like to see it I'm about 30 miles away. Can someone contact seller and find out if it can be viewed?
View Quote
That sling looks like a later Vietnam era "seatbelt" sling.  It would have originally had a web sling either identical to an M1 Garand web sling, OR, a 601 sling.  A 601 sling would not have had the square adjuster buckle on it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If someone here really, really, really, really wants one here is your chance.

Colt 601 auction on gunbroker
View Quote
I'll just sell everything I have..........including the kids.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I drooled a little bit looking at the pictures. is that strange?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:47:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A few things that are off to me are the drain hole in the stock screw, VP marked barrel, no dimpled sight screw, no roll pin in the lower, stock has a rusted stud but nothing else is really aged like that. Other than those super picky details, overall it is one of the nicest 601's I have seen. Near the end of the life too I believe to all those could be correct pieces which I dont doubt.
View Quote
The stock screw, I'm not sure about--earlier rifles didn't have the drain hole, but I'm not sure when they started that. Otherwise, the details you mentioned look normal to me. My 3-digit rifle has the "tiny VP" proof mark and also has no sign of ever having had a receiver roll pin installed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:50:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Also what jumped out at me is the receiver extension that's gray in the front and shiney black after that like a modern tube. The lower might have been refinished with Norrells or something. Kinda looks like overspray on the front of the tube. The lower looks way too good for it's age imo.
View Quote
I've seen that several times on original rifles.  But it's not shiny black--it's almost maroon.
From 000748:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:11:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Maybe he is only willing to part with it at that price.... What's wrong with that?  More power to him if he gets it...  I hope he gets $120,000 for it.
View Quote
So do I!  Drive that collector market up!
But I have to admit, for his starting bid I'd gladly let go of my unmolested 3-digit 01, with every accessory offered...and even throw in a clone (every piece correct except the lower) for spare parts.  Heck, I'd even buy a fancy Pelican case to ship it all in!

But I do hope he finds a well-heeled buyer--or that he doesn't sell it if he really doesn't want to.  It's not easy to give up something that hard to replace.

My questions about the auction...did the grenade spring ever come installed on a rifle from the factory?  I've only seen them as unit add-ons.
And does the green furniture mean that this was built at the factory as a military rifle?
Mine left the factory in the black furniture of a rifle intended for the civilian market, but I have occasionally swapped it with green furniture for photos.  I'd like to see the FOIA report on this one to get an idea of where it went from Hartford.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:21:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I saw the one advertised as an "ensemble" with just about every accessory you could want that was advertised at 35k a couple years ago.  THAT woulda been the one to snatch up.  Too bad school is in NY and home is CA
View Quote
Oh you mean this one? =)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
People with that kind of cash do not ever get "that kind" of cash by paying double or triple for things they want.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:27:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So do I!  Drive that collector market up! https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif
But I have to admit, for his starting bid I'd gladly let go of my unmolested 3-digit 01, with every accessory offered...and even throw in a clone (every piece correct except the lower) for spare parts.  Heck, I'd even buy a fancy Pelican case to ship it all in!

But I do hope he finds a well-heeled buyer--or that he doesn't sell it if he really doesn't want to.  It's not easy to give up something that hard to replace.

My questions about the auction...did the grenade spring ever come installed on a rifle from the factory?  I've only seen them as unit add-ons.
And does the green furniture mean that this was built at the factory as a military rifle?
Mine left the factory in the black furniture of a rifle intended for the civilian market, but I have occasionally swapped it with green furniture for photos.  I'd like to see the FOIA report on this one to get an idea of where it went from Hartford.
View Quote
When you say "every accessory" does that include the semi auto selector? I'd love to see pictures of one
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
People with that kind of cash do not ever get "that kind" of cash by paying double or triple for things they want.
View Quote
The people who actually earned "that kind" of cash would never pay double or triple, but the ones who inherited or married into "that kind" of cash might well have just such a blase' attitude and not care what things cost.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The stock screw, I'm not sure about--earlier rifles didn't have the drain hole, but I'm not sure when they started that. Otherwise, the details you mentioned look normal to me. My 3-digit rifle has the "tiny VP" proof mark and also has no sign of ever having had a receiver roll pin installed.
View Quote
Rob what about the sling on your's? Could post a pic especially the end that attaches to rear swivel...please?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
That looks to be the one
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Triple? Plain Jane m16s go for $30k... This is a 601 transferable NFA item... $30k isn't even in the ballpark - unless someone is desperate to sell.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 2:24:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Triple? Plain Jane m16s go for $30k... This is a 601 transferable NFA item... $30k isn't even in the ballpark - unless someone is desperate to sell.
View Quote
I know where there are 3 of them right now, I have looked at two of them in the last couple of days.

1 is 32,000

1 is 32,500 and the third one is priced at 34,000

The two I have looked at are nice guns and I am sure the guys are able to negotiated a small amount on them.  If is is still for sale next week, I will be looking at the third one, but it is a bit more of a drive for me to get to it, than the first two were.  My wife is questioning my sanity, because I already own a few M16 FA guns and I didn't pay over 10K for any of them, in fact my first one I bought while in the service I paid less than a grand for.

Transferable M16's are really not as rare as some like to think they are and the only reason they are so expensive is because of the laws that came into effect in 1986.  There is no reason for them to be as expensive as they are.  The last one I bought was about 3 years ago from a guy I served with.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I know where there are 3 of them right now, I have looked at two of them in the last couple of days.

1 is 32,000

1 is 32,500 and the third one is priced at 34,000

The two I have looked at are nice guns and I am sure the guys are able to negotiated a small amount on them.  If is is still for sale next week, I will be looking at the third one, but it is a bit more of a drive for me to get to it, than the first two were.  My wife is questioning my sanity, because I already own a few M16 FA guns and I didn't pay over 10K for any of them, in fact my first one I bought while in the service I paid less than a grand for.

Transferable M16's are really not as rare as some like to think they are and the only reason they are so expensive is because of the laws that came into effect in 1986.  There is no reason for them to be as expensive as they are.  The last one I bought was about 3 years ago from a guy I served with.
View Quote
Post some links so we can compare. I'd sure like to see them with an original 601 lower.  But I have my doubts that they are nothing more than M16s with some slapped on 601 parts.  But let's see the links.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Post some links so we can compare. I'd sure like to see them with an original 601 lower.  But I have my doubts that they are nothing more than M16s with some slapped on 601 parts.  But let's see the links.
View Quote
An m16 right now is around $25k or so. A 601 is more at about $30-$35k.

I doubt there are many links as most of the autos are sold by brokers who don’t share pics or info only to buyers as not to hurt the value and keep them ‘rare’ so there aren’t that many pictures out there and it’s unique
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#38]
A beautiful, all original, 601 sold at the last knob creek for $35k (or less).  I know that the ASKING price was 35k, but I don't know what the negotiated price was.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A beautiful, all original, 601 sold at the last knob creek for $35k (or less).  I know that the ASKING price was 35k, but I don't know what the negotiated price was.
View Quote
Again, the owner might have been desperate, who knows? Legit companies are selling excellent condition plain jane M16s for $30,000 - I'm sure many of these may be negotiable as well but they start them at $30k for listing purposes.  Just because one sold for $35k doesn't mean that's where the market is at for all 601s to follow.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

An m16 right now is around $25k or so. A 601 is more at about $30-$35k.

I doubt there are many links as most of the autos are sold by brokers who don’t share pics or info only to buyers as not to hurt the value and keep them ‘rare’ so there aren’t that many pictures out there and it’s unique
View Quote
I realize the game is to over ask and settle on a fair price.  But the market is whatever someone is willing to pay.  Kudos to the guy fishing for $90,000, IMO... I wish him the best and hope he gets $120,000 for it.  Maybe next month he'll lower the price - in any case I hope he gets as much as he can.  If the market is really at $30-35k then I guess he'll be sitting on it for awhile.  But I personally feel anyone letting a 601 NFA go for less than $45k is either a "motivated seller" or desperate.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
A couple of years ago Colt 603 uppers were all over the EE for $125 - not so much anymore.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A couple of years ago Colt 603 uppers were all over the EE for $125 - not so much anymore.
View Quote
I'm aware, I got into this right before all of the original stuff began to dry up and managed to get away with some pretty nice stuff. That being said, the number of transferrable 601s has not changed, and I don't think the value has jumped from 35k to 90k in 2 years, especially when most 601s being listed today are still in the 35k range.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are no links as they are not being advertised on the net, I was told about them by a friend of mine who is also a FFL 7/SOT like I am.  The 2 that I have looked at so far are real 601's

A lot of FA guns especially some of the collectable ones are never advertised on the internet, it is by word of mouth that they change hands.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Here is a link to a story that was on The Firearm Blog about 3 years ago, concerning a sub 600 serial numbered 601 that was on Gunbroker and the buy it now price on the gun was $25K

Sub 600 numbered Model 601
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm aware, I got into this right before all of the original stuff began to dry up and managed to get away with some pretty nice stuff. That being said, the number of transferrable 601s has not changed, and I don't think the value has jumped from 35k to 90k in 2 years, especially when most 601s being listed today are still in the 35k range.
View Quote
The number and scarcity on ALL retro items hasn't changed... But the number of retro collectors has changed.  Sorry, I disagree with the $35k range but maybe some people are desperate to sell - such is life...
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

There are no links as they are not being advertised on the net, I was told about them by a friend of mine who is also a FFL 7/SOT like I am.  The 2 that I have looked at so far are real 601's

A lot of FA guns especially some of the collectable ones are never advertised on the internet, it is by word of mouth that they change hands.
View Quote
Well, they sure are limiting their potential buyers and exposure then - no wonder they have to settle for a much lower price. Sounds like they are desperate or perhaps have been holding on to them since the early 90s when they could be bought for about $4k.  Either way, the market has changed drastically in the last 3 years.  They should be in the $45-60k range now and will be in the $60-90k range in a few more years...
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, they sure are limiting their potential buyers and exposure then - no wonder they have to settle for a much lower price. Sounds like they are desperate or perhaps have been holding on to them since the early 90s when they could be bought for about $4k.  Either way, the market has changed drastically in the last 3 years.  They should be in the $45-60k range now and will be in the $60-90k range in a few more years...
View Quote
I think you are off base, I have been doing this game for over 30 years now and own a lot of guns including FA guns and I currently manufacture and sell NFA items.  If you are paying that much, then you are paying to much.  The two that I went and looked at are owned buy gun collectors that have collection that are worth in the million's of dollars, so being desperate is not in their vocabulary.  These type of guys don't use the internet to sell collectables because of all of the crap inquiries they receive, they go through brokers or word of mouth and there is a lot of collectors that sell things the exact same way.

We have bought and sold collectable items long before the internet was even around.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We have bought and sold collectable items long before the internet was even around.
View Quote
That's my point, the internet is bringing new blood into the game.  10 years ago someone could buy 603 uppers for $40-60 on the cheap, $100 for a 604.  Them days are gone forever. Supply/demand.  Maybe I'm way off base as you say... That's your opinion and you may be right but I think completely the opposite.  Prices are gonna go crazy and a $30-35K 601 NFA is a steal.  If I had the money, I'd buy 10 and just sit on them - they are workth way more than $35K.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's my point, the internet is bringing new blood into the game.  10 years ago someone could buy 603 uppers for $40-60 on the cheap, $100 for a 604.  Them days are gone forever. Supply/demand.  Maybe I'm way off base as you say... That's your opinion and you may be right but I think completely the opposite.  Prices are gonna go crazy and a $30-35K 601 NFA is a steal.  If I had the money, I'd buy 10 and just sit on them - they are workth way more than $35K.
View Quote
Having a different opinion is no problem and it does not bother me at all, but I don't believe they are in the 90K area either and saying those days are long gone is also something we don't know, you never know what someone is gong to find in a warehouse somewhere, I have seen it happen more than a few times over the years.  I know when I was in the service working in various Armories, we found a lot of boxes and cases of stuff that had never been used and would not be used in the future, I don't know what happened to much of it because we were concerned with keep our current weapons up to snuff.

There is really no accurate way to know what parts are still around from the Vietnam era.  It was a chaotic time and lots of inventory sheets were doctored up a lot back then.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Having a different opinion is no problem and it does not bother me at all, but I don't believe they are in the 90K area either and saying those days are long gone is also something we don't know, you never know what someone is gong to find in a warehouse somewhere, I have seen it happen more than a few times over the years.  I know when I was in the service working in various Armories, we found a lot of boxes and cases of stuff that had never been used and would not be used in the future, I don't know what happened to much of it because we were concerned with keep our current weapons up to snuff.

There is really no accurate way to know what parts are still around from the Vietnam era.  It was a chaotic time and lots of inventory sheets were doctored up a lot back then.
View Quote
I'm just saying that I've sold items for a "premium" in the past.  Stuff that I really don't want to sell but throw out there for giggle just to see if it will - the extra money takes the sting away from the sale.  Sure, the guy is fishing at $90K, but I'm not gonna hate him if he actually reels one in - more power to him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top