Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2021 6:57:50 PM EDT
1. 300 blackout high-end defensive ammo from 10" barrel (TSX, 110gr Hornady, etc)

2. 5.56 high end round out of a 12.5" barrel (TAP T2, MK262, heavy OTM or expanding round of choice)

Both on soft targets at 100 yards.

Note that I am giving a 2.5" barrel advantage to the 5.56, which I think would put heavy OTM's well into their frag velocity.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Hands down within 100yds with the ammo choices you state, .300 BLK has a definite edge.

I use 110 TAC-TX (.300) , 77gr TMK and 62gr Fusion (5.56) for primary defensive ammo choices.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Terminal ballistics?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Terminal ballistics?
View Quote

Most effective / lethal.  Which one would you rather be shot with?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
300 blackout.

Just noticed @Eagle_19er said the same, if memory serves he did an amazing short barreled ballistics test across a range of ammo and lengths. If he says .300 blackout as well, then that's worth paying attention to.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
300 blackout.

Just noticed @Eagle_19er said the same, if memory serves he did an amazing short barreled ballistics test across a range of ammo and lengths. If he says .300 blackout as well, then that's worth paying attention to.
View Quote

Yep, that’s my thread. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Ive shot a doe with 5.56, a fusion bullet. Now Im not saying it was bad or didn’t get the job done but this doe ran ~200yds after being shot solidly in the lungs.

Ive shot several deer, including 3 bucks that went at least 165lb dressed that were either DRT or fell within 40yds with a BLK. My 175lb 8pt from this past season was a double front shoulder shot that the 110 TAC-TX passed right through and embedded halfway out the fur on the opposite side. (I recovered the perfectly mushroomed/petaled bullet and it weighed 109.8gr). That would have been a wound and LONG track had he been shot with a 5.56, almost guaranteed.

How does this translate to a human target? Well, humans are more fragile than a deer so I firmly believe that any high velocity round will do the job in a defensive role, but OP wants opinions so I gave mine (based on the experience above).

All things being equal, .300BLK with a quality bullet outperforms 5.56 with a quality bullet 9/10 times within about 150yds. Its not even a question for me. If the chips are down I’m drawing ammo from my case + of factory Barnes 110gr TAC-TX.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:13:20 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a recorded kill of a bull moose at 168 yards with 77 gr TMK out of a bolt gun on this page, a bear on the first, and a couple of elk kills later on in the thread. Those are not SBRs, but the velocity from a 24" barrel at 168 yards is similar to that of a 12.5" at the muzzle, and these are certainly very large animals.

Coming from Dr. Roberts, deer are more resilient than humans in some ways and less so in other ways. I would speculate that the often shorter distance from the bullet's point of entry to the spinal cord results in a greater incidence of CNS paralysis from temporary cavitation stretching in deer - this likely accounts for a significant percentage of "bang-flops" - while the smaller and presumably less oxygen-intensive brain, the more horizontal orientation, and the slower heart rate all combine to make deer more difficult to incapacitate via circulatory and respiratory failure. Nevertheless it has been observed in test settings that much heavier ungulates can be dropped on the spot via rapid pistol fire without hitting the CNS or even the heart.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Sweet! When I'm out of 160gr Nosler Partitions to reload for my 7mm Mag, I'll try 77TMK on the largest ungulate I can find!

Joking aside, I've no doubt the .224 caliber TMK can take down a moose or elk. Hell, you could do it with a .22LR if you were good/patient enough.

In no world that makes sense is that bullet the best choice when there are other options available. Regardless, I'm loving my choice of the TMK bullet as one of the bullets in my "dual standard" 5.56 ammo choices.

Now, if SHTF and I'm inexplicably limited to 77TMK with a bull moose broadside shot coming up, I'll take it with the knowledge that I have a decent chance at taking the animal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Some ballistic numbers to condsider for the OP (again though, every barrel, ammo lot and climate environment is different so these are just examples, feel free to find your own).

12.5" 5.56/.223 with legit ammo (credit to and courtesy of Eagle_19er)
Attachment Attached File

Source:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/16-714088/?

10.3' .300blk  with legit ammo (credit to and courtesy of Mrgunsngear)

Source:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=4VNl7QXykUY
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, I replaced my 10.3" 5.56 barrel with a 10.3" .300blk barrel specifically for property/home/self defense as not only are the ballistics better for the .300blk, but (something that isn't mentioned enough IMO) the concussion is far, far less severe and there's no fireballs.

I recently put a linear comp on my .300blk HD pistol as well, knowing full well that it does nothing other than direct the immediate concussion and blast away from the barrel.

That being said, if you're shooting a gun indoors, there's still concussion regardless, even with .300blk, it's got nowhere to else to go.

Here's a fun video example.
Does a flashcan make a difference when shooting 300 BLK indoors?

I don't have experience with a 12.5" 5.56, but I do with 10.3" and 14.5", and 14.5" is as short as I want to go without a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]
With appropriate ammo in each it’s really same/same. Sure the .30 cal projectile might have a little wider and longer wound cavity, but they’re both more than enough to kill anything.

Effective bullet choices are more clear cut though in a 300 blk because companies have designed and marketed projectiles to work with the lower velocities of the cartridge. You really need to do your research for 5.56 projectiles though because there are a few that perform head and shoulders above the rest. Sierra 77gr tmk and any weight bonded federal/speer are excellent performers.

I have both calibers and my go too for hunting at the moment is 75gr gold dot. 77gr tmk can cause too much meat loss for me. For home defense it’ll be whichever I pick up first because they’re so close in performance at that distance it doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1. 300 blackout high-end defensive ammo from 10" barrel (TSX, 110gr Hornady, etc)

2. 5.56 high end round out of a 12.5" barrel (TAP T2, MK262, heavy OTM or expanding round of choice)

Both on soft targets at 100 yards.

Note that I am giving a 2.5" barrel advantage to the 5.56, which I think would put heavy OTM's well into their frag velocity.
View Quote

With the specific rounds you mentioned, 300BLK has the edge. With the current best defensive 5.56 ammo (77gr TMK, gold dot/fusion, etc) I’d say they’re on par with the edge maybe slightly going to the 5.56.

The 77gr TMK specifically, imo, is a more effective soft target bullet than anything currently made for 300BLK. Certain rounds may come close though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]
At a 100 yards, getting shot be either (with good ammo) would suck. I think it would be close.  Probably depends on the bullet type and weight.

I originally started with a 10.5" 5.56, but didn't like blast and wasted length of the normal size blast can, so I switched over to 8.5" .300blk.   At the same time, I also picked up a 12.5" 5.56 barrel to use.   I picked 12.5" for a few reasons, but one of them was because .300blk out performed shorter 5.56 at closer ranges until you got to about the 1 foot mark in 5.56 (when using IMI 77gr in 5.56).

I have a few other .300blks now, but my 9" is my HD weapon (hence the choice of fragmenting ammo out of short barrels).

It was really a battle of 110gr Hornady V-Max vs 77gr IMI SMK during salad days when V-max was $110 (plus shipping) for a case of 200 round, and you could pick up 77gr IMI from Midway for as low as $.50 a round (looking at my order history, I was once able to pick up a pack of 240 rounds for $120 with FREE shipping....but they usually ran $0.55-$.60 a round.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

With the specific rounds you mentioned, 300BLK has the edge. With the current best defensive 5.56 ammo (77gr TMK, gold dot/fusion, etc) I’d say they’re on par with the edge maybe slightly going to the 5.56.

The 77gr TMK specifically, imo, is a more effective soft target bullet than anything currently made for 300BLK. Certain rounds may come close though.
View Quote

I agree, although some of the 110gr varmint rounds could match up fairly well.  Although the 77gr TMK will probably have an advantage of a shorter neck and possibly a longer fragmentation range given the higher initial velocity much better BC.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I agree, although some of the 110gr varmint rounds could match up fairly well.  Although the 77gr TMK will probably have an advantage of a shorter neck and possibly a longer fragmentation range given the higher initial velocity much better BC.

View Quote

True, the 110gr VMAX would come pretty close in terms of terminal effect. Not sure if it’s a better or worse performer than the 77gr TMK, but both are devastating for sure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

TMK:
Multi Purpose Rifle: CORBON's 77gr MPR (TMK) .223 Gel Test

110G Nosler Varmageddon I sent Andrew for this test:
Would You Trust This Varmint Ammo For Defense? Nosler .300 AAC 110gr Varmaggedon Gel Test
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FWIW, I replaced my 10.3" 5.56 barrel with a 10.3" .300blk barrel specifically for property/home/self defense as not only are the ballistics better for the .300blk, but (something that isn't mentioned enough IMO) the concussion is far, far less severe and there's no fireballs.
View Quote

This is one of the main reasons why my travel gun is a 10.5" 300blk. I have suppressors, but don't like taking them with me on trips and leaving them in the vehicle for any length of time.

Unsuppressed my 11.5" 5.56 is blinding in low light situations while my 300blk spits out hardly any noticeable flame.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#17]
It does seem like the actual performance of these loads are pretty close.  As you probably imagined, I am trying to figure out if it will be worth going to a .300blk home defense gun.

It seems that .300 does have advantages with concussion and flash but not really lethality.

I'd be running a 12.5" 5.56 behind a YHM Turbo K suppressor that includes a flash suppressor front cap.  I'm thinking that is the route I should stick to - especially since I have been lucky enough to acquire a nice stack of Hornady 5.56 T2 over the years.  Might not be worth introducing the chance of someone putting the wrong cal in the wrong rifle - I could see that being a possibility at the range.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I've hit steel at 100yds with all configs mentioned. The steel doesn't lie.

8" 7.62x39

/thread
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#19]
With a 10” barrel I’d give the edge to 300, with a 12.5” barrel that edge would probably go to 5.56/.223.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It does seem like the actual performance of these loads are pretty close.  As you probably imagined, I am trying to figure out if it will be worth going to a .300blk home defense gun.

It seems that .300 does have advantages with concussion and flash but not really lethality.

I'd be running a 12.5" 5.56 behind a YHM Turbo K suppressor that includes a flash suppressor front cap.  I'm thinking that is the route I should stick to - especially since I have been lucky enough to acquire a nice stack of Hornady 5.56 T2 over the years.  Might not be worth introducing the chance of someone putting the wrong cal in the wrong rifle - I could see that being a possibility at the range.
View Quote

If you already have everything for the 12.5" 5.56 (including suppressor), and would have to still acquire parts to complete .300blk setup, then absolutely stick with the 12.5" 5.56 and have no worries, it'll do just fine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've hit steel at 100yds with all configs mentioned. The steel doesn't lie.

8" 7.62x39

/thread
View Quote

The performance gap between 7.62x35 and 7.62x39 out of an 8" barrel would be minimal.  
The blast and flash on the other hand...indoors?  

-----------
OP, if you already have a can and ammo for your 5.56, I don't think it it really worth it (right now) unless you really want to cut that extra 2.5 inches.  .300blk ammo is expensive and really really hard to come by.    I choose my 9" .300blk over my 12.5" 5.56 for HD, but that 5.56 is no slouch.....especially with good ammo (that you already have).
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use .300 as an hd weapon because of its efficiency in short barrels vs 5.56. Concussion and blast out of an 8 inch blackout is significantly less than a 10.5 5.56 with no loss in lethality.  I love the mobility of the blackout unsuppressed.
Other than that I have no use for the caliber
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#23]
The .300 has a decent amount more energy compared to 5.56 in short barrels too.

A lot of people swear a bullet's energy really doesn't contribute to wounding that much. That may be somewhat true if the bullet only hits soft tissue, but if it hits bone then that additional energy without question contributes to the wounding.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#24]
There are gnarly enough rounds for both that at those distances it doesn’t really matter. There are less options for the 300BLK, but they’re comparable. Better? Worse? We can go around and around on that all day, but I think when you compare the top performers for each, the differences are a lot more academic than real-world.

Pick a winner in 300BLK like TAC-TX for penetration or VMAX/Varmegeddon for frag, or a winner in 5.56 like TSX for penetration or TMK for frag or GD/Fusion for a mix of both.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The .300 has a decent amount more energy compared to 5.56 in short barrels too.

A lot of people swear a bullet's energy really doesn't contribute to wounding that much. That may be somewhat true if the bullet only hits soft tissue, but if it hits bone then that additional energy without question contributes to the wounding.
View Quote

Out of the exact same barrel length, sure. I'm fairly sure that a 12.5" 5.56 would be very comparable to a 300BLK energy wise though. As far as hitting bone, I was under the assumption that velocity contributes much more to secondary wounding via bone fragments (which I assume is what you're talking about) than mass.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As far as hitting bone, I was under the assumption that velocity contributes much more to secondary wounding via bone fragments (which I assume is what you're talking about) than mass.
View Quote

I think it's actually quite possible. I'm reasonably familiar with the mechanics behind soft tissue damage, but the factors that determine effects on bone are probably something else.

We do know that 7.62x39 tends to cause much more damage to cinder blocks, wood boards, and the like; living bone is more flexible and not as brittle as dead bone, but most likely still falls closer to a hard object than a soft object for the purpose of terminal ballistics. An 80s study of the same brand of 9mm and .45 ACP hollowpoints also records greater bone damage with the latter.

Of course there's a difference between damage to the bone itself and damage to the surrounding tissue inflicted via bone shards, but it would appear at least that mass plays a significant role in shattering bone to a greater extent.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:59:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Assuming similar barrel lengths and good bullets in each, at 200 yards and under 300 Blackout is superior, no contest.  For 200-300 yds it's a push.  From 300 yds and out the 5.56mm is mo'better....

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Assuming similar barrel lengths and good bullets in each, at 200 yards and under 300 Blackout is superior, no contest.  
View Quote

Based on what?  I want to believe!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#29]
6.5grendel or 6.8SPC

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
6.5grendel or 6.8SPC

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
6.5grendel or 6.8SPC

View Quote

You might as well recommend .45 GAP while we're at it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You might as well recommend .45 GAP while we're at it.
View Quote

( pre covid / antita / biden )  I see just as much 6.5G and 6.8spc as I do 300b on the store shelves

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
6.5grendel or 6.8SPC

View Quote

10" barrel?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

10" barrel?

View Quote

5.5” barrel

44 mag 180gr XTP  mad load H110

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Since we went there ; 5.5'' 300BLK barrel velocities:

What Velocity Can You Expect From A 5.5'' 300BLK Barrel?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I use .300 as an hd weapon because of its efficiency in short barrels vs 5.56. Concussion and blast out of an 8 inch blackout is significantly less than a 10.5 5.56 with no loss in lethality.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Since we went there ; 5.5'' 300BLK barrel velocities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbiUUIayNgo
View Quote

cool
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:33:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep, that’s my thread. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Ive shot a doe with 5.56, a fusion bullet. Now Im not saying it was bad or didn’t get the job done but this doe ran ~200yds after being shot solidly in the lungs.

Ive shot several deer, including 3 bucks that went at least 165lb dressed that were either DRT or fell within 40yds with a BLK. My 175lb 8pt from this past season was a double front shoulder shot that the 110 TAC-TX passed right through and embedded halfway out the fur on the opposite side. (I recovered the perfectly mushroomed/petaled bullet and it weighed 109.8gr). That would have been a wound and LONG track had he been shot with a 5.56, almost guaranteed.

How does this translate to a human target? Well, humans are more fragile than a deer so I firmly believe that any high velocity round will do the job in a defensive role, but OP wants opinions so I gave mine (based on the experience above).

All things being equal, .300BLK with a quality bullet outperforms 5.56 with a quality bullet 9/10 times within about 150yds. Its not even a question for me. If the chips are down I’m drawing ammo from my case + of factory Barnes 110gr TAC-TX.
View Quote

I'm a big fan of the work you've done and I hope you don't get the wrong impression from this, but I don't think it's fair to judge the performance of a caliber on one bad experience with a specific bullet. 62gr fusion is an outstanding bullet, and while I haven't shot a deer with that exact bullet, I have heard excellent accounts of its performance on various performance. A 200 yard rodeo seems like quite an anomaly assuming that you did your part. Maybe the bullet failed to expand? What was the distance/barrel length used? I'm just curious since I've heard nothing but good things about .223 fusion/gd on deer.

The one bullet I have used on numerous deer and hog is the 77gr TMK, and I have never had any animal run more than 25 yards (most DRT) when shot by one out of a 16" barrel. I'm not sure how the 110gr tac-tx does as far as the actual wound channel is concerned, but the TMK usually begins expanding instantly and creates a 3-4" wound channel while absolutely pulverizing any organs in or near its path. The damage is honestly indistinguishable or even greater than what I've seen from something like a .308 nosler ballistic tip. Obviously you're aware of its stellar performance given that it's one of your 5.56 defensive loads of choice, but what do you think it gives up compared to the 300BLK 110gr tac-tx?

I'm just not seeing how 300BLK is any better with the given conditions in the OP. Especially 9/10 times. What am I missing? While the TMK is top tier and IMO the best bullet in this caliber, gd/fusion and other expanding bullets aren't far behind.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

TMK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq50cOGSXcY

110G Nosler Varmageddon I sent Andrew for this test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA0ehEaIEqg
View Quote

That 300 load is going below 2000 fps which IMO puts it less then what I would call rifle velocities.
Amazing Performance! 5.56mm Black Hills Optimized 50gr TSX

Best .300 AAC Defense Ammo? HPR 110 gr TAC-TX Gel Test

Here is a more apples to apples comparison with the load OP was talking about vs the 5.56 50gr TSX. They are very close with the 5.56 having a slightly larger TSC with the 300 penetrating deeper.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That 300 load is going below 2000 fps which IMO puts it less then what I would call rifle velocities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o-Tw0BbLd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvanIrJSpYU

Here is a more apples to apples comparison with the load OP was talking about vs the 5.56 50gr TSX. They are very close with the 5.56 having a slightly larger TSC with the 300 penetrating deeper.
View Quote

Go back and look at the slomo of the gel expansion. The Nosler was as impressive if not more so than the two you linked.

Also the final TSC measurements were larger with the Nosler than either of the faster moving 50g TSX or the 110g TacTx.

Nosler 110g: 7" x 3.5"
50g TSX: 6" x 3.5"
110g Tac Tx: 5" x 3"

Note both the 300 rounds were out of an 8" while the 50g 5.56 was out of a 10.5"

Velocity isn't everything.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Go back and look at the slomo of the gel expansion. The Nosler was as impressive if not more so than the two you linked.

Also the final TSC measurements were larger with the Nosler than either of the faster moving 50g TSX or the 110g TacTx.

50g TSC 6" x 3.5"

Note both the 300 rounds were out of an 8" while the 50g 5.56 was out of a 10.5"

View Quote

And the 77gr TMK was 7x4 for TSC, just wanted to give an apples to apples(or at least close to it) comparison since the OP mentioned the Tac-X.

You were comparing a fragmenting round to an expanding copper hollow point. Velocity is a big factor when fragmentation is at play.

It would be best to compare the 5.56 TSX vs the 110gr TSX and the 77gr TMK vs the 110gr varmint.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

50g TSX: 6" x 3.5"

View Quote

Velocity may not be everything, but consider that even slow handgun rounds make a sizeable TSC in organic gelatin. We all know that isn't the case in human or animal tissue. Now I'm not saying that a 110gr varmageddon  travelling at 1950fps won't do any TSC related damage in actual tissue, but a 5.56 50gr TSX out of a 10.5" is well above that threshold while a 110gr varmageddon out of an 8" is very much  borderline. That isn't something that a gel test can accurately portray.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Velocity may not be everything, but consider that even slow handgun rounds make a sizeable TSC in organic gelatin. We all know that isn't the case in human or animal tissue. Now I'm not saying that a 110gr varmageddon  travelling at 1950fps won't do any TSC related damage in actual tissue, but a 5.56 50gr TSX out of a 10.5" is well above that threshold while a 110gr varmageddon out of an 8" is very much  borderline. That isn't something that a gel test can accurately portray.
View Quote

So tell me, what else is there to go by then? And what is this suppose threshold? 2kfps? 2200fps?

Eagle_19er earlier in this thread said he has had better results with 300blk than 5.56 under 150yrds while hunting. I bet those 300 bullets were not traveling much past 2k, if even that, on impact.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So tell me, what else is there to go by then?

Eagle_19er earlier in this thread said he has had better results with 300blk than 5.56 under 150yrds while hunting.
View Quote

A sample size of one is not conclusive, especially since there are countless reports of that particular 62gr fusion doing very well at greater ranges then that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A sample size of one is not conclusive, especially since there are countless reports of that particular 62gr fusion doing very well at greater ranges then that.
View Quote

I'm not a hunter and have no first hand experience. It doesn't appear anyone else in this thread, other than Eagle_19er, does either.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Eagle_19er earlier in this thread said he has had better results with 300blk than 5.56 under 150yrds while hunting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not trying to discount Eagle_19er's experience, but 45custom posted a thread in which there are literally 36 pages of glowing testimonies for 5.56 on medium and even large game. Many users there have killed hundreds of deer with loads like 75gr gold dot, 62gr fusion, and 77gr TMK, and a few have even posted pictures of Elk they've taken with the same setups. IMO, that outweighs a sample size of 1. My point is that there really isn't a clear cut winner given the conditions stated in the OP.

Edit:
Quoted:

I'm not a hunter and have no first hand experience. It doesn't appear anyone else in this thread, other than Eagle_19er, does either.

Not with the fusion specifically, but yes I do have first hand experience hunting medium game with 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to discount Eagle_19er's experience, but 45custom posted a thread in which there are literally 36 pages of glowing testimonies for 5.56 on medium and even large game. Many users there have killed hundreds of deer with loads like 75gr gold dot, 62gr fusion, and 77gr TMK, and a few have even posted pictures of Elk they've taken with the same setups. IMO, that outweighs a sample size of 1. My point is that there really isn't a clear cut winner given the conditions stated in the OP.
View Quote

Wait someone killed an elk with 5.56? Damn that’s impressive and I am a fan of 5.56 big time but I don’t know if I’d try it on elk. Better tools for that job, .308 at minimum.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Wait someone killed an elk with 5.56? Damn that’s impressive and I am a fan of 5.56 big time but I don’t know if I’d try it on elk. Better tools for that job, .308 at minimum.
View Quote

We're on the same page there, but I guess some folks in that thread just wanted to show that it can indeed be done. The 77gr TMK in particular is a nasty bugger. LOL
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Edit:

Not with the fusion specifically, but yes I do have first hand experience hunting medium game with 5.56.
View Quote

Fair enough, but I should have said first hand experience using both 5.56 and 300blk.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fair enough, but I should have said first hand experience using both 5.56 and 300blk.
View Quote

My mistake. Yeah, he's probably the only one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top