Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2018 10:48:35 AM EDT
I have a dpms claw, type is their any thing better for installing a barrel? Have read that the clamp around type is better for barreling, thought you guys would have a preference.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Many folks say the barrel nut should only be tightened in a barrel vise, though I don't quite understand it.

I've only ever used a wheeler clamshell.  Works fine for me.

Haven't yet figured out a plan for my 308 upper.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The best option for installing barrel nuts is the > 2UniqueLLC barreling jig < or better yet, the Windham Weaponry barreling jig.

Barrel blocks should only be used for muzzle device installation or removal, and they are the best solution for that job... If you use anything else for muzzle device work it will put you at risk of damaging things.

People will be along shortly to recommend the BEV Block or the Reaction Rod.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a Wheeler Delta. $23 and zero issues. Even comes with an insert to prevent crushing the receiver in the vise.
View Quote
I was trying to recommend that in my previous post as another acceptable option, but adding it in link form kept deleting half of my post.

I think the clam shell upper receiver vise blocks are preferable to the barreling jigs for removing barrel nuts due to the possibility of encountering very tight/stuck barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#5]
That's why i was looking for something different than my dpms claw. Had a tough barrel nut to remove and the claw worked but barely. The whole fixture that wasn't in the vice seemed to move.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's why i was looking for something different than my dpms claw. Had a tough barrel nut to remove and the claw worked but barely. The whole fixture that wasn't in the vice seemed to move.
View Quote
Yes, exactly... The DPMS Panther Claw vise block can become flexible on tight/stuck barrel nut removals, and it's possible to crack the upper at the lugs with it. Though it's usually okay to install barrel nuts with it due to it's internal support.

My procedure for removing barrel nuts involves inserting the 2UniqueLLC barreling jig into the upper receiver/barrel extension for internal support, then I clamp the upper receiver in the vise with a set of clam shell upper receiver vise blocks. You could also do this for installing barrel nuts if you want to be overly cautious.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think the torque experienced in a stubborn removal can far and away exceed what can be expected during a proper install.  I had one that twice popped my wheeler clamshell from an 8" vise.  Tight doesn't even describe it.  I ended up applying some heat, and then while still warm, dribbling kroil onto the nut.  A few hours later it came off with maybe 40lbs of torque.  No idea what gorilla installed that nut...but I could still see grease on it and it had never been fired.  I still have he upper, but after what it went through I'll probably never use it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think the torque experienced in a stubborn removal can far and away exceed what can be expected during a proper install.  I had one that twice popped my wheeler clamshell from an 8" vise.  Tight doesn't even describe it.  I ended up applying some heat, and then while still warm, dribbling kroil onto the nut.  A few hours later it came off with maybe 40lbs of torque.  No idea what gorilla installed that nut...but I could still see grease on it and it had never been fired.  I still have he upper, but after what it went through I'll probably never use it.
View Quote
Even after all that, it's not a bad idea to stick the whole barreled upper in the freezer for 20/30 minutes before attempting to remove a stuck barrel nut.

PSA or BCM?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Lmao...PSA.

At the time I'd never heard of the freezer trick, but id probably do it next time.

If I didn't put 200+ ft-lbs on it the first time, then I'm a damned liar.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Wheeler delta clamshell has worked well for me
Quoted:

Haven't yet figured out a plan for my 308 upper.
View Quote
I used a Plastix revolution setup for my 308 upper. Was cheap and good results.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The best option for installing barrel nuts is the > 2UniqueLLC barreling jig < or better yet, the Windham Weaponry barreling jig.

Barrel blocks should only be used for muzzle device installation or removal, and they are the best solution for that job... If you use anything else for muzzle device work it will put you at risk of damaging things.

People will be along shortly to recommend the BEV Block or the Reaction Rod.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with recommending the BEV. I've used mine for probably a dozen barrel swaps and builds since I bought it, and have no complaints at all. Price to performance wise, I'd say it's one of the best and most versatile options available. I also use it as a front sight block for removing taper pins, and it does a fine job of that, too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with recommending the BEV. I've used mine for probably a dozen barrel swaps and builds since I bought it, and have no complaints at all. Price to performance wise, I'd say it's one of the best and most versatile options available. I also use it as a front sight block for removing taper pins, and it does a fine job of that, too.
View Quote
Oh, I didn't mean that as a jab. I just meant that they were the most popular and recommended options.

How do you use the BEV Block to remove taper pins?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh, I didn't mean that as a jab. I just men't that they were the most popular and recommended options.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I didn't mean that as a jab. I just men't that they were the most popular and recommended options.

Ah, wasn't sure. Anyway, I just use the BEV as a normal FSB block. I'm not sure if they actually intended it to be used that way by design, but it does the job pretty well. There is enough clearance to break the pins loose with full support of the FSB, then I move it a little back to tap the pins out.

Here are some pics from a barrel swap I did the other day:

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ah, wasn't sure. Anyway, I just use the BEV as a normal FSB block. I'm not sure if they actually intended it to be used that way by design, but it does the job pretty well. There is enough clearance to break the pins loose with full support of the FSB, then I move it a little back to tap the pins out.

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/Mk18.10.3.Install/Mk18.10.3.Barrel.Install-FSB-01.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/Mk18.10.3.Install/Mk18.10.3.Barrel.Install-FSB-02.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/Mk18.10.3.Install/Mk18.10.3.Barrel.Install-FSB-03.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/Mk18.10.3.Install/Mk18.10.3.Barrel.Install-FSB-04.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I didn't mean that as a jab. I just meant that they were the most popular and recommended options.

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/Mk18.10.3.Install/Mk18.10.3.Barrel.Install-FSB-01.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/Mk18.10.3.Install/Mk18.10.3.Barrel.Install-FSB-02.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/Mk18.10.3.Install/Mk18.10.3.Barrel.Install-FSB-03.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/Mk18.10.3.Install/Mk18.10.3.Barrel.Install-FSB-04.jpg
Thanks for the pictures, I wasn't quite sure how you were using it.

I have this very expensive FSB/lower receiver bench block set from RGUNS. > https://rguns.net/shop/r-guns-barrelreceiver-block-set/ It works very well though. I actually got it for a much better price at AIM after finding the Brownells FSB bench block inadequate for the job.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Avoid using the pin ONLY type upper receiver vise blocks as demonstrated in this thread. > Link.

Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Avoid using the pin ONLY type upper receiver vise blocks as demonstrated in this thread. > Link.

View Quote
What a train wreck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone seen this thing yet? The Device

Edit:  not sure why the link isn’t working
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#19]
That's an interesting tool.

Looks to Work inside the receiver, but unlike a reaction rod, doesn't touch the barrel extension.

Interesting that it doesn't get in the way of any upper component.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen it. If they made it so that it also engaged the barrel extension it would be unbeatable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I have done more than 200 barrel installs (building a complete upper) using a Wheeler clamshell.

I have probably pulled 50 barrels this year with the Wheeler clamshell with no problem.

I have damaged two 308 uppers using the Brownells barrel tool that is like the reaction rod. I now use a two piece vise block for large frame uppers.

I have a DPMS claw type tool that I only use to install accessories.

I use the reaction rod style tools to install and time muzzle devices/suppressor mounts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, much appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sure, no problem.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've seen it. If they made it so that it also engaged the barrel extension it would be unbeatable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it wouldn’t work with 9mm uppers.  That’s what’s so great about this vise block, it works with everything.  Billet, forged, 9mm, wildcat calibers with different lug patterns, I can’t think of an AR upper it wouldn’t work with.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Then it wouldn’t work with 9mm uppers.  That’s what’s so great about this vise block, it works with everything.  Billet, forged, 9mm, wildcat calibers with different lug patterns, I can’t think of an AR upper it wouldn’t work with.
View Quote
Okay, that could be handy.

I guess they could offer a separate internal support plug with the barrel extension engagement feature to work with standard barrel extensions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#26]
My first one was a clam shell type and it was a pain to keep from messing up my Cerakote finish. I switched to a no mar Plastix Rcolution and haven't looked back.

Plastix Revolution link
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My first one was a clam shell type and it was a pain to keep from messing up my Cerakote finish. I switched to a no mar Plastix Rcolution and haven't looked back.

Plastix Revolution link
View Quote
I just bought the deluxe PlastixRevolution block along with their scope rail clamp block to assemble an upper with a KAC URX 3.1 rail. The URX presents some challenges and a clamshell style block won't work, this block solves them.

Going forward I'd love, some day, to own a reaction rod type tool also.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I started out with a pair of generic upper clamshells, then moved on to a BEV Block when I need to barrel some odd shaped billet uppers.

My borhter has a VHS tape from Quality Parts / Bushmaster where the builder used barrel vise blocks in combination with an upper clamshell to keep the front sight from canting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#29]
another vote for the Wheeler Delta setup
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I started out with a pair of generic upper clamshells, then moved on to a BEV Block when I need to barrel some odd shaped billet uppers.

My borhter has a VHS tape from Quality Parts / Bushmaster where the builder used barrel vise blocks in combination with an upper clamshell to keep the front sight from canting.
View Quote
I have that old VHS tape... They didn't use the barrel blocks in combination with the clam shell upper receiver vise blocks. They demonstrated how to install a barrel with the barrel blocks and talked about using the clam shell upper receiver vise blocks to install their free float handguards.

Unless there's a different old Bushmaster VHS tape out there.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top