Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2018 11:29:50 AM EDT
I literally bent and broke two punch sets bought from Home Depot.

Is there a better set designed to remove FSB pins?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
A big taper punch with a flat tip and a 5lb hammer.  Back it up on a big dense wood block.  Once the pin is flush it's loose and can be tapped out with anything.

Colt and BCM taper pins are literally one minute ordeals to take out with the right punch, hammer, and block.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A big taper punch with a flat tip and a 5lb hammer.  Back it up on a big dense wood block.  Once the pin is flush it's loose and can be tapped out with anything.

Colt and BCM taper pins are literally one minute ordeals to take out with the right punch, hammer, and block.
View Quote
What he said. The pins go one way. And when they're protruding out, use the biggest punch and hammer you have.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
So use the bigger punch first then the skinny one?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Smack the ever living shit out of them. Don't pussy foot around. Hit 'em hard . . . really hard.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of the pins in the FSB as ice cream cones. To get them out, you're hitting the small diameter end of the pins with the punch and hammer. Because if you were to hit the large end, it would drive them IN further and not out.

Use the largest punch that matches the small end diameter and whack them hard. Once they budge, they're super easy to get out.

If reinstalling them, use the biggest punch you have and smack them in until the large end is flush with the FSB, if the pin needs to be driven in further, you would then grab your punch that matches the large pin end diameter
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you, everyone. I think I understand now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The punch I use has a 3/8" flat tip.  Much bigger than the small end of the pin.  The punch is about a foot long and probably weighs a pound.  When you hit it with a 5lb hammer it drives the pin flush in one lick, and that's all you need.  It's loose now and you can use a little 8oz hammer and an 1/8" punch to tap the pins through.

You want to break the pins loose in one hit, or as few as possible because the more you beat on it, the more you chance to slip off and dick something up with a hammer and punch.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you, everyone. I think I understand now.
View Quote
Now be honest.....were you hitting the large end of the taper pins?

The way you worded your post before this it sounds like you may have been trying to drive them out from the wrong side. Just remember to knock them out of the FSB, you push from the small end of the pin, if knocking them back into a FSB, you drive the pin from its larger end
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a bronze punch that is thick. I put one side of the fsb on a wood block and hit it from the other side with the bronze punch. Once loose, I use a regular punch to drive them through.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
3mm cup-tip punch.  the longer one for knocking out, the shorter one for re-installing.
Brownells cup-tip punches
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Now be honest.....were you hitting the large end of the taper pins?

The way you worded your post before this it sounds like you may have been trying to drive them out from the wrong side. Just remember to knock them out of the FSB, you push from the small end of the pin, if knocking them back into a FSB, you drive the pin from its larger end
View Quote
I am not that stupid. :-) The size difference on the ends is enormous. Hard to make the mistake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
3mm cup-tip punch.  the longer one for knocking out, the shorter one for re-installing.
View Quote
Thanks. Looks like what I am looking for!
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
dont waste your money

go get a nailset set from a big box store.

I have bought/broke the speciality punches from brownells I only use a nail set now and a 5 lb sledge
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I use a cupped taper pin punch and a ball peen hammer. If the pins are really stubborn, I use a 7/16" piece of round stock that has some nice taper pin shaped indents in it. I used to use wood as a block, but I've found my Magpul BEV block works perfectly as a front sight block.

Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing I do different than using as big a punch and hammer as I can is put the FSB/barrel in a padded vise. I use a vise that allows me to turn the jaws into a vertical orientation. Allow just enough clearance to access the pins. Whack them hard. Usually comes out in one or two hits.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use a cupped taper pin punch and a ball peen hammer. If the pins are really stubborn, I use a 7/16" piece of round stock that has some nice taper pin shaped indents in it. I used to use wood as a block, but I've found my Magpul BEV block works perfectly as a front sight block.

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_827530320_1.jpg

https://www.metalmaniauk.com/product-images/Normal/6ee0726c-351e-402e-ba85-a4d4887895f6-1.jpg
View Quote
What punch is this?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#19]
That actually isn't the brand of mine, but it's pretty close to the one I have (I just picked a similar one, that's a stock photo from Brownells). I think mine is actually a really old Stanley, maybe? If so, they no longer make that style. I'd have to look.

ETA: Here is the actual product in the photo. Price is a little high IMO.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/pin-tools/taper-pin-starter-prod26485.aspx
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I've used a standard punch set from harbor freight with success my last couple of builds.
For me, using a Heavy(5lbs. or more) / short handled hammer works great.

Main thing is not being afraid to wack the pins.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I use a Snap-on 3/8" flat punch to get them started, and the smaller one to punch them through.

Put it on a concrete floor, and smack the shit out of that punch with a 4 pounder.

I use the Brownells puck to make life a little easier.

ETA my spelling
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
broke that on the second pin

dont waste the money
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Actually, I just double checked and my brass rounds are 5/8" and 3/4".

Usually, one or 2 good hammer blows and the pin will pop free, from there it's cake. No marring to the fsb either.
View Quote
I think the one I use is 5/8.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#27]
the best thing to use to remove taper pins on an FSB is a taper punch

in the hands on a gunsmith
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

dont waste your money

go get a nailset set from a big box store.

I have bought/broke the speciality punches from brownells I only use a nail set now and a 5 lb sledge
View Quote
the specialty punch from Brownells is quite literally a Starrett nail punch
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Usually, one or 2 good hammer blows and the pin will pop free, from there it's cake. No marring to the fsb either.
View Quote
Brass punch, you mean?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
the best thing to use to remove taper pins on an FSB is a taper punch

in the hands on a gunsmith
View Quote
If I paid a gunsmith every time I've removed taper pins that gunsmith would have a new wing on his house. Unless you have no tools and absolutely zero mechanical ability, paying someone to drive out two pins is a waste of money IMO.

With the proper tools pretty much anyone can do it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Brass punch, you mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brass punch, you mean?
brass won't mar, but it will attach to the surface if it's not hard enough

so, don't use the cheap drifts you can get from china via amazon or ebay
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If I paid a gunsmith every time I've removed taper pins that gunsmith would have a new wing on his house. Unless you have no tools and absolutely zero mechanical ability, paying someone to drive out two pins is a waste of money IMO.

View Quote
you should look into gunsmithing as a second career
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps an entirely new wing is a slight exaggeration... but a spacious and well-appointed shed at the very least :D.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Brass punch, you mean?
View Quote
Mine are, i got them from snap on
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Have y'all ever knocked out the pins BCM puts in with brass?  Seems like it would deform before the pin moved.  BCM whips 'em in retard tight.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Have y'all ever knocked out the pins BCM puts in with brass?  Seems like it would deform before the pin moved.  BCM whips 'em in retard tight.
View Quote
Nope, only colt, dd, dpms and rra.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This^^^^

Alloy 360 brass round. It will not stick/transfer onto your fsb.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/sm_brassround-681115.jpg
View Quote
3/4" of that thing is one thick and fat MFer, and expensive.

Would a 1/4" one work?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Never used one less than 5/8".

No more expensive than a good punch.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20180924-094124-681530.png
View Quote
Thanks. Found a cheaper deal on Amazon.

What's the reason that it needs to be so thick?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#45]
And just to add...

You can't assume all FSBs are installed the same way.

The blocks from Brownells, Andersons, etc. are cut so that you place the FSB in one way to remove pins and the other way to install.

Two weeks ago I was changing to a rail and needed to remove one.  Looking at the pins I wasn't sure which end was bigger.  Put it in the block to remove.... nope.  Flipped it over to install - they popped right out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And just to add...

The blocks from Brownells, Andersons, etc. are cut so that you place the FSB in one way to remove pins and the other way to install.

Two weeks ago I was changing to a rail and needed to remove one.  Looking at the pins I wasn't sure which end was bigger.  Put it in the block to remove.... nope.  Flipped it over to install - they popped right out.
View Quote
the dumb orange hockey puck from brownells won't let you remove pins that are installed backwards

you need to drill another pair of holes if you want to do that

i just skip it now and take it to a gunsmith if i get one of those

if you have a front sight block that has a  2 on it, just fucking run, or throw it away from you in disgust. the pins are probably installed backwards
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
the dumb orange hockey puck from brownells won't let you remove pins that are installed backwards

if you have a front sight block that has a  2 on it, just fucking run, or throw it away from you in disgust. the pins are probably installed backwards
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And just to add...

Many of my Colts have been/are 2 marked. I think that's more so who drilled the taper pins than who made the FSB. Then again I don't use blocks....I've always just layed the barrel and carpet, propped the pins level and smacked away. Now that I think about it the only thing I even use a smith for is barrel lathe work. Other than that I prefer doing everything myself. Same with my vehicles

Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Many of my Colts have been/are 2 marked. I think that's more so who drilled the taper pins than who made the FSB. Then again I don't use blocks....I've always just layed the barrel and carpet, propped the pins level and smacked away. Now that I think about it the only thing I even use a smith for is barrel lathe work. Other than that I prefer doing everything myself. Same with my vehicles
View Quote
yeah, i know all the B 2 blocks aren't to blame, and i don't know who made those barrels. i've had a few from DS, Anderson, even had a colt barrel with one backwards and i have no idea how it happened

with the ease of drilling taper pins and no idea how any of the retailers source their barrels (if it's not made in-house) it could be anyone really

i always attempt it myself, but without wanting to risk getting mad at the barrel and block and chop them into little sections to use as fucking beads on a necklace used to warn other horribly-assembled parts away, i'll just send it out now
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
yeah, i know all the B 2 blocks aren't to blame, and i don't know who made those barrels. i've had a few from DS, Anderson, even had a colt barrel with one backwards and i have no idea how it happened

with the ease of drilling taper pins and no idea how any of the retailers source their barrels (if it's not made in-house) it could be anyone really

i always attempt it myself, but without wanting to risk getting mad at the barrel and block and chop them into little sections to use as fucking beads on a necklace used to warn other horribly-assembled parts away, i'll just send it out now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been there with at least 1 barrel that comes to mind. One of my BCM SOCOM barrels had a loose index pin that would pop out with any torque applied to the barrel nut. I was about ready to throw that fucker in a chop saw by the last attempt. I don't even remember what I did with it, but I know its gone lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top