Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2020 4:56:21 AM EDT
What is the best polymer AR15 magazine for reliability and longevity other than Pmag?

Pmags are secure in their great reputation, hence they're left out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
But why?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Lancer systems - L5AWM....
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
But why?
View Quote

A combination of curiosity and if Pmags sell out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another vote for Lancer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
what are these new "Mission First Tactical" all about?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
what are these new "Mission First Tactical" all about?
View Quote

SAME JUNK AS ORIGINAL EVIDENTLY
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

A combination of curiosity and if Pmags sell out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
But why?

A combination of curiosity and if Pmags sell out.

Lancer is the only other polymer that I would consider.......and that's only if USGI aluminum mags suddenly disappeared.

Lancer has it's share of issues as well. Mainly tight internal tolerances in combination with dirty/dusty environments.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Amend 2 seem to work well. You can sometimes catch them on sale for pretty cheap if you want to experiment with different polymer mags.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Only other all poly mag worth a shit is the TD MK2
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
You're not allowed to as such questions here without explaining yourself.  I know you would take heat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Lancer L5AWM is the only other option that is acceptable for polymer magazines.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By KurtVF:
You're not allowed to as such questions here without explaining yourself.  I know you would take heat.
View Quote

Pmag's status is solid. If the supply dried up and a person wanted polymer, another brand would need to be chosen.

I like the appearance of Hexmags. I know they have the 2nd generation ones out, which are supposed to be better than the 1st generation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I understand this question from a theoretical position. But if you are really worried about this, just buy a dozen and be done with it. Each one will last at least 30 uses. So 12 x 30 x 30 = 10,800. At today's prices that's like $4,200 with of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#14]

I like the appearance of Hexmags. I know they have the 2nd generation ones out, which are supposed to be better than the 1st generation.
View Quote

GOOGLE
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AS556:
Only other all poly mag worth a shit is the TD MK2
View Quote

I'll second Tango Down's revised ARC mag, but I'm curious if anyone here has ever had any issues with them. Pat Rogers from EAG "promoted" them in his last few years, using them in his training classes and promotional photos (EAG and BCM). I'm sure he put them through the ringer. I have a Marine friend who deployed to Iraq with some also and reported no issues at all.

I have a few of them, and the only issue I ever had was one that wouldn't lock the bolt back on the last round (I mentioned this in the "lemon" thread). It started to lock back inconsistently after a few times at the range. I sent it back to TD, and they said they couldn't replicate the problem in any of their test rifles. The replacement mag they sent me did the same thing, so I think it was a tolerance stacking issue with my primary rifle (a BCM).

I'm comfortable counting on them, they're just kind of ugly and not very commonly available. I'm not sure how I feel about the way they can't be disassembled, despite TD's assurances that they won't ever need to be taken apart and cleaned. I can just imagine getting a rock stuck inside one that I can never get out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By gks452:
I understand this question from a theoretical position. But if you are really worried about this, just buy a dozen and be done with it. Each one will last at least 30 uses. So 12 x 30 x 30 = 10,800. At today's prices that's like $4,200 with of ammo.
View Quote

That's a good point.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#17]

GOOGLE
View All Quotes

I like the appearance of Hexmags. I know they have the 2nd generation ones out, which are supposed to be better than the 1st generation.

GOOGLE

Thanks Tig.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#18]
@3acrScout: Thanks for the generous post. I remember reading Tango mags cannot be taken apart.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Lancer is the only polymer I use.  Metal I only use surefeed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had no issues with the ETS mags using semi-auto. Haven't tried them with FA.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Pmag's status is solid. If the supply dried up and a person wanted polymer, another brand would need to be chosen. 

View Quote

What about ETS?  The one's that are really indestructible like Lancer? I forgot about them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#22]
HK! Because they're 5 times more expensive so they must be 5 times better.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Lancer L5 for polimer. I'm lucky, my rifles will work with any of them or they are gone. Prefer Lancer and several of the Aluminum brands. I have had no issues with the S2's either but you never Know.  Get you several different types and finishes and try them out and then decide. My preference is still the old original USGI 20's.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pmag's status is solid. If the supply dried up and a person wanted polymer, another brand would need to be chosen.

I like the appearance of Hexmags. I know they have the 2nd generation ones out, which are supposed to be better than the 1st generation.
View Quote

So why have a discussion forum at all?  If everything is settled regarding polymer magazines then the discussion should be limited to metal.  Five years ago the only thing that mattered was if your magazine could be run over by a truck then that got too boring because a few companies were able to make indestructible magazines.  Then the big thing was how well could your magazine angle the bullet of government issue ammo which almost no one here shoots in nearly the quantity that would make a difference in 10 lifetimes. This place is a fan site more than a technical forum
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for Lancers.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone know if Lancer has been used / trialed by .gov? I see the “translucent smoke” colored 30 rd has an NSN number
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone know if Lancer has been used / trialed by .gov? I see the “translucent smoke” colored 30 rd has an NSN number
View Quote

I don't know about official govt. trials but my kid is an 11B in the 101st & prefers the Lancers.  He said he had a couple P-mags. though they were gen 2 not gen 3 break while in the field.  He hasn't had any problems with the Lancers.  He prefers the translucent dark earth but before those were readily available, I painted a clear one to cover the areas he said his leadership would gig him on.  I used hammertone paint cause I like the look but also thought it would help cover my F ups since I'm not very good with painting.  

https://flic.kr/p/2j873aM

https://flic.kr/p/2j872zo

https://flic.kr/p/2j873qg

https://flic.kr/p/2j874ek

https://flic.kr/p/2j831CC

https://flic.kr/p/2j871RE
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't know about official govt. trials but my kid is an 11B in the 101st & prefers the Lancers...... I painted a clear one to cover the areas he said his leadership would gig him on.  
View Quote

Why would leadership care if his mag was clear?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why would leadership care if his mag was clear?
View Quote

Cause if they see too much brass through a clear mag it will be shiny & the enemy will spot them.    Since the TDE ones have become more readily available, or at least were, that's what I've been getting him.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been buying Lancers when I find them on sale. I prefer them over Pmags. I have a bunch of ETS mags also. Haven't had a single problem with them either.
Lancers are my preference.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC they came in dead last in M855A1 reliability testing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Lancer and Hex
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I run Lancer, ETS, and PMags.  I'd trust my life to any of them.  I'd definitely trust today's casual range session to any of them.

Of the three, I think the ETS gets the least appreciation for how good it is; though my total favorite is the Lancer smoke clear.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Troy mags
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#35]
+1 Lancer
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have mostly pmags but I have a few lancer as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Troy mags
View Quote

Aren't these critisized alot?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Troy mags

Well earned.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:57:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably but they flat out work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine were great at puking rounds out at the most opportune times.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not as robust as my PMags but I still enjoy taking my Thermolds to the range and use for plinking.  I bought a lot of them back in the '90's when they were cheap and they're still going strong...I don't abuse them or drop them on the ground though. ...
View Quote

I have them, too. Do you have the 20 or 30 rounders? I have the 20.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought 2 ETS mags and Had failure to feed out of both of them. They get jammed in the mag multiple times. Tried steel, brass, nickel plated, they all jamm. They look cool, but that’s about it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#45]
21H and 22H thermolds have always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
20, 30 and 30/45 Thermold mags for the AR but my favorite are the orange 30 rounders that were intended for blanks...5 minutes with a pocket knife and they're good to go with live ammo.  My orange PMags are more of a pumpkin orange compared to the blaze/safety orange color of the Thermolds.
View Quote

I forgot to mention, mine say Mastermold on them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 3:10:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I still have a stack of orlites.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I bought 2 ETS mags and Had failure to feed out of both of them. They get jammed in the mag multiple times. Tried steel, brass, nickel plated, they all jamm. They look cool, but that’s about it.
View Quote

Anything unusual about your rifle that could be a culprit? Mods of some kind? ETS is usually pretty reliable, as long as you're using brass.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Another vote for Lancer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another vote for Lancer.

And another.

Use both L7 AWM and L5 AWM and love 'em.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top