Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2018 3:05:20 PM EDT
I'm getting the ambi charging handle bug again and can't decide which one to get. Years ago I tried a BCM with the medium(or maybe it was the large) latch and I felt it stuck out too far for my liking so I went back to the USGI CH. Been looking at the Geissele options and think the ACH looks like it might fit the bill but part of me thinks there might be some interference issues with the FA.

What do you guys think, go with the ACH or the regular SCH? Or is there another brand I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a radian raptor and I like It but you can never go wrong with anything geissele makes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Raptors are awesome, I have several. That being said, I did go with the ACH on my most recent build. I’d try and find one on sale or maybe gently used on the EE. Perhaps  G will have a Memorial Day sale?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#3]
ACH for “fighting” rifle, SCH for a gaming gun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Raptors are awesome, I have several. That being said, I did go with the ACH on my most recent build. I’d try and find one on sale or maybe gently used on the EE. Perhaps  G will have a Memorial Day sale?
View Quote
Does Geissele usually have good memorial day sales? I've never gave their stuff a second look because I didn't want to spend that much but my tastes have changed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I run a sch and never had it snag or even noticed it until i need to use it , it definetly does not interfer with FA, the ach is a bit shorter so i imagine its even more out of the way
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Smaller latches are better, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
SCH on both my rifles.  Don't have an issue with the latch poking me
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a SCH on my DD and really like it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Been running ACHs for a while -made the switch from BCM

Really digging the ACH  and not having issues accessing it or snagging on gear
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does Geissele usually have good memorial day sales? I've never gave their stuff a second look because I didn't want to spend that much but my tastes have changed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well they did have an Easter sale which psa and also believe brownells piggybacked off of so it does happen from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Milspec
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Based on your complaints about larger latches I would recommend the ACH for you. I have both and prefer the SCH. I don’t have any complaints during carbine classes with raptors or SCH snagging anything.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a radian raptor and I like It but you can never go wrong with anything geissele makes.
View Quote
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
View Quote
ACH for everything other than a hunting rifle. SCH in that case.

I've had them all. Raptors, KAC, BCM Mod everything.

Get the ACH. It's all I use now.

Trust me. I know this is the internet, but trust me.

If you don't prefer it, I'll buy it from you at new price. That's how confident I am
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#15]
As others have said, ACH. I was torn as well between that and the SCH. I ultimately took a leap and am very satisfied. The latches are more then adequate to fit a finger, gloved or not. It's obviously more streamlined design but I'm very satisfied with the two I own. Having obnoxiously large latches that hang off the sides is ridiculous. Mechanically speaking, keeping the force of pulling the latch closer to midline results in better torque and momentum. As mentioned, the ACH accomplishes this by shortening the latches up. They look more bulky yet function the same as the SCH would.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I like ACH on rifles with red dots, and SCH on ones with scopes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:02:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is my preference as well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#18]
ACH.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys, I'm going to get the ACH. Now I just have to decide if I should order one now or wait and see if Geissele runs a Memorial Day sale.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]
ACH.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, I'm going to get the ACH. Now I just have to decide if I should order one now or wait and see if Geissele runs a Memorial Day sale.
View Quote
They for sure will run a sale. If you're LE/MIL/FD/EMS give Geissele an email and inquire about a profile discount. It's something to the effect of 10% or so.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#22]
ACH for me.  Smaller is sometimes better, it's about time other manufactures realized that bigger isn't always the solution, but can bring on more problems.

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#23]
ACH
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I came to post this.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I charge on the right side and with a forward assist in the way bigger is better for me, so I run the bigger Geissele.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Late to the party.   I guess OP has already made his choice.  I love all things Geissele, but went with the Radian Raptor because it seems to cover both bases.  It is large enough to manipulate under a scope with gloves, but is rounded on the edges so the latch handles do not dig into my back when carrying the rifle across my back in a sling.

I, too, like to charge right sided, like with my bolt guns, for consistency, but the real issue for me, as between various ambi charge handles, is access with gloves and comfort when the rifle is carried on my back.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Got the two ACHs I ordered. These are just what I was looking for, big enough that I can get ahold of the latch on the right side(I'm a lefty so this side will get the most use) but not so large that it will dig into me when the rifle is slung.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got the two ACHs I ordered. These are just what I was looking for, big enough that I can get ahold of the latch on the right side(I'm a lefty so this side will get the most use) but not so large that it will dig into me when the rifle is slung.
View Quote
Awesome man.

They're my favorite as well.

Be careful about what you just started...
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Awesome man.

View Quote
I'm already going down that road. I just ordered two Maritime Bolt Catches for the twins because they are finally back in stock and I'm really thinking hard about getting two of the MRO mounts.

I told myself that the stock MRO mount was fine but I suddenly like the looks of the G mounts. I don't have to worry about getting one of the scope mounts because I'm not spending that much money for a gun I rarely use. Trigger wise I already have an ALG QMS in one of the twins and the stock Aero trigger in the other is actually really nice.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you don't prefer it, I'll buy it from you at new price. That's how confident I am
View Quote
You're kinda selling me on this...I've got two builds down the road I'm planning. One's gonna get a Geiselle rail and the other a BCM, I think I'll run their charging handle counterparts on each rifle. I currently have the Raptor on two guns and love them. But it's fun trying new stuff.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm already going down that road. I just ordered two Maritime Bolt Catches for the twins because they are finally back in stock and I'm really thinking hard about getting two of the MRO mounts.

I told myself that the stock MRO mount was fine but I suddenly like the looks of the G mounts. I don't have to worry about getting one of the scope mounts because I'm not spending that much money for a gun I rarely use. Trigger wise I already have an ALG QMS in one of the twins and the stock Aero trigger in the other is actually really nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome man.

I love Geissele.

I use a G ACOG mount, G trigger and ACH on my SR15.

I've gone to ACHs for everything.

Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You're kinda selling me on this...I've got two builds down the road I'm planning. One's gonna get a Geiselle rail and the other a BCM, I think I'll run their charging handle counterparts on each rifle. I currently have the Raptor on two guns and love them. But it's fun trying new stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raptors are great.

You'll like the ACH better.

Promise.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:00:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I know you already made up your mind, but I just want to further reinforce your decision.

I bought a Noveske Super Badass Charging Handle when I was building my gun (months before the ACH was even announced). If you didn't know, the Noveske SBA CH is just a rebranded G Super CH.

I've wanted an Airborne CH since I first saw them. Don't get me wrong, I love the one I have, but every once in a while when I have my rifle slung and that charging handle smashes into one of my ribs, I'm reminded that a smaller one exists.

I'm just waiting for the day that Novekse stops selling the G charging handles and some fanboy will be willing to pay as much as a new Airborne CH costs for the price of mine, or I can find someone who got a DDC color that they hate and wants to trade.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:44:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I like my LWRC Ambi Charging Handle. I didn't like the Raptor Charging Handles. Ambi Charging Handle latches for standard charging handles are junk.
That's all I have to say on the topic of ambis. I want to get a Geissele to try out, but can't really justify the price saying as the Raptor is a similar design, and I didn't like the design aspect. I like the LWRC because it's a more standard layout. The back of the T handle is still there, while on the Geissele and Raptor, it only has the large latches. I use the charging handle with my thumb on the rear, and knuckle/middle of my pointer on the latch.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Raptors are great.

Promise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raptors are great.

Promise.
It may just be me, but I don't find them better or worse than the Raptor.  If you want a wide handle that's not going to poke you, the Raptor is where it's at.  I wish the ends of the SCH were less pointy, the ACH fixes the issue but it's not as wide as the Raptor.  All 3 work as well as I'd expect, but you can find Raptors for a lot less so I seem to use them on rifles not using a bunch of other Geissele components.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Not going to knock any of these three: SCH, ACH, and Raptor. All are very good improvements.

Just a couple weeks ago I got the ACH because of the little shorter levers. Like all y'all know they are very nice and less width than the SCH. But after using it a bit I see an advantage of the SCH and Raptor for some people. The disadvantage to the ACH is that if you're a southpaw or righty that likes to charge with right hand index finger your fingernail is going to be scraping the forward assist and not get a good purchase.

I know now why the Raptor has a large right lever and medium left. Not to clear a scope like I've heard and read about. It's to clear the forward assist.

Anyway I like all three of these, just giving my experience with them.

edit: I'd like to see Geissele make a hybrid like the Raptor with SCH right lever and ACH left lever... or just get a Raptor.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#37]
ACH, or Raptor.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm a big ACH fan. Seems to be the right size without pinching or getting in the way.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I love Geissele products, but their charge handles, even ACH, dig into your back if running a two point sling.  Raptor does not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I've got both. They're both great charging handles.

I personally give a slight edge to the ACH.
That said, if you have a fat rear sight like a polymer MBUS or Troy then the ACH won't give you much space to work with, and you should probably stick with the SCH.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#41]
ACH.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top