Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2021 8:37:19 PM EDT
I have an old Colt lower, CAR stock, and an AEM5 laying around and figured I would build a clone-ish Gary Gordon CAR15.

From what I've been told, I need a 12.5" barrel for Allen Inc collar in order for the AEM5 to sit close to the FSB. And possibly needing to shave the lug.

I know TNT offers A2 uppers but they don't have a 12.5"

Just really trying to avoid buying everything separately again. I'm in a new place and don't have access to a vise.

I'd rather just pay more for a complete upper and get it over with.

What options do I have?

EDIT: I know I am new here but really did try to search. Even used google search methods for this site. Couldn't find any info.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of any complete A2 uppers with a 12.5"... even pre-2020.

Brownells had the XM177 uppers but those were 12.7", A1 upper, and had a pinned and welded moderator to get to 16". Plus they have been out of stock for over a year.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/xm177e2-upper-receivers-complete-5-56-prod123698.aspx

The Brownells 12.7" (1/7) barrels are awesome. I got one of those a couple years ago but they've been OOS for at least a year too.

I know you said you don't have a vice, but the only option I can think of (in the current market) is to get a stripped A2 upper and find an in stock barrel. The quickest/cheapest option would probably be to order one from ballistic advantage.  They will put an FSB on any of their standard barrels. Currently they have the 12.5" barrels in stock but not FSBs.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/12-5-5-56-government-profile-carbine-length-ar-15-barrel-modern-series.html  

Also if you're in a hurry, 11.5" are much more available, but I still don't know of any complete with an A2. You could always go flat top upper with removable carry handle...

12.5" is an awesome barrel length for 5.56 though. A real happy medium with velocity and length.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
@CORDrew

Thank you so much, this was super informative and will help me on this journey.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a new FN 16" Gov't profile barrel and sent it to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works.

He chopped to 12.5" and pinned an LMT FSB in place for me.

Cheaper than finding a 12.5" A2 barrel and waiting for it to come in stock.

Now waiting on the collar.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Charlies custom clones has the barrel with the break and collor already on it
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top