Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2023 10:24:10 AM EDT
I'm finishing up a 13.9 with 1-8 ATACR, and am looking at adding a visible/IR laser setup to go along with my IR surefire scout.

I was planning on getting a Dbal A3, which I can get for about $1300, but just saw this DesignatIR for $800.  The illuminator on the civ Dbal is kind of crappy, so I'm sure I'm not losing too much by dropping that, but I also have no experience with US NV products.  My main concern is durability, if it would be worth the extra money just for a higher guarantee of the unit being robust and not cracking or anything.

Anyone have any experience with the US NV or general suggestions?  Any other suggestions?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The USNV options are OEM'd by 3EIR. Their new mounts are made by Arisaka, but If you don't need an illuminator they're OK. I'd just get a Steiner OTAL-C for $600 if you don't need an illuminator.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Steiner DBAL-D2 because I wanted the most IR illumination I could get.

At 300 yards it still illuminates under my very high quality (the specs on my IIT are really good) UFWF3 PVS14.

The IR is so bright on the D2 if you narrow the beam throw to tight it will wash out targets at 100 even with the NODs gain turned way down.

The D2 is big, heavy and expensive but I would buy it again.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the D2 unless you want to spend MAWL $

Steiner really needs to update the D2 with a weight loss program. It’s too bright sometimes as is.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The D2 is the only civilian model worth a shit in regards to the illuminator until you start getting into the $2500-$3800 range for a MAWL or Raid.
The D2 can be found in the $1300 range new and down to 1k used.

Middle of the road price would be to find a FP unit and you’ll get a better laser and a great good illuminator, but you sacrifice any service from a manufacturer if something happens and it’s a gamble of paying 2k to some random guy on the internet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a FP PEQ15, a MAWL C1+ & a CIV DBAL A3. A buddy has a DBAL D2, it keeps up with my MAWL and PEQ. The illuminator on the CIV A3 is pretty sucky…I had a CQBL that I sold, should have kept it and added a SF vampire or Kiji and ditched the A3…
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up just doing a CQBL with surefire IR, may add a kiji in the future.

Link Posted: 7/11/2023 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been debating and researching the same topic.

For me the best current or arriving soon options are:

- Steiner DBAL D2
 No other civilian unit other than the MAWL comes close to its IR illuminator performance.  Size is an issue however.

- Designate IR/V
 QC has reportedly been spotty.  Performance is good (when it works).  Hopefully if the kinks are worked out it might really shine.

- Phantom Hill CTF3
 Not released yet, but based on the CTF2... it might be the Winner in this race!
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been debating and researching the same topic.

For me the best current or arriving soon options are:

- Steiner DBAL D2
 No other civilian unit other than the MAWL comes close to its IR illuminator performance.  Size is an issue however.

- Designate IR/V
 QC has reportedly been spotty.  Performance is good (when it works).  Hopefully if the kinks are worked out it might really shine.

- Phantom Hill CTF3
 Not released yet, but based on the CTF2... it might be the Winner in this race!
View Quote

Safest option is probably the DBAL. Just be careful if you decide to use a remote switch.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:11:53 AM EDT
[#9]
D2 fan here.

Love the illuminator..

its big ....don't care.....

I'm happy with the laser and IR performance.

that is all.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top