Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2018 9:59:52 AM EDT
RAZOR HD GEN II-E 1-6x24

Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24

JM-1 BDC Reticle
VMR-2 (MRAD) Reticle
VMR-2 (MOA) Reticle

thoughts? advice? sugestions?

I am going to buy one but I don't want to regret it and wish I had gotten the other model.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d go with the JM-1 and zero it at 300.   I like a BDC on a 5.56 for here out to 3-400.

If you’re shooting something other than 5.56, the Mil reticle might be easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
JM-1 zeroed at 200.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
MRAD. Simply easier to deal with unless you want a BDC that the JM-1 has. I had the JM-1 and ended up buying a MRAD.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d go with the JM-1 and zero it at 300.   I like a BDC on a 5.56 for here out to 3-400.

If you’re shooting something other than 5.56, the Mil reticle might be easier to deal with.
View Quote
This, except I zeroed at 200 yards per Vortex rec'. I'm using a Larue with Stealth barrel, MK262 clones
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
MRAD. Simply easier to deal with unless you want a BDC that the JM-1 has. I had the JM-1 and ended up buying a MRAD.
View Quote
Get both? I’ve got the JM-1 and just ordered a MRAD for a different rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This, except I zeroed at 200 yards per Vortex rec'. I'm using a Larue with Stealth barrel, MK262 clones
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant zero at 300 using the 300 yard stadia.  Ever since the ACOG I’ve like zeroing that way as the POI always matches the BDC better out to the end of the reticle’s range.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I returned the JM-1. Wish I could have kept both!
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I will be getting a Razor Gen II-e 1-6 later this year and plan to get the MRAD reticle.  
My other scope is in MRAD and the ballistic drop for 77gr mk262 matches up fairly well with Mils.  MRAD also gives me more options for the scope, where as the JM-1 is pretty specific.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
JM-1 zeroed at 200.
View Quote
50 zero is 200 zero? right?

and another question... I've looked at the Razor, I have a Strike Eagle... The strike eagle seams to be designed more for a close quarters scope that can go out to distance, closer in function to a redot/with a magnifier. While the Razor seems to be the reverse, a long range reticle that happens to have a reddot just in case you're up close. Am I wrong? It seems to me that the strike eagle is a compromise between the 2 systems listing toward close quarters.

I'm guessing at the price dif the Razor, quality and durability wise, blows the strike eagle out of the water?

Thoughts everyone?

Thanks everyone for the input so far :)
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#12]
JM1

I like Mil-Mil reticles for higher powered scopes for more precision but I heavily favor BDC reticles for 'quick and dirty' firing solutions.

This is from real world chrono data for 55gr ammo out of my rifle:

JM1

Same data and same zero distance plugged into the MRAD reticle.

You can adapt the JM1 to any 5.56 ammo by shifting the curve a bit by adjusting the zero distance.  A few minutes and Strelok is all it takes.

Or you can zero at 400 yards using the 400 yard stadia.

You may be off by an inch or two at 200 yards.  So what, these scopes are not designed for shooting golf balls.

For me the JM1 is so intuitive I don't understand the appeal of the MRAD version.  With the JM1, I have a very quick and easy to remember reticle under stress and time constraints.  0-2,3,4,5,6

Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

50 zero is 200 zero? right?

and another question... I've looked at the Razor, I have a Strike Eagle... The strike eagle seams to be designed more for a close quarters scope that can go out to distance, closer in function to a redot/with a magnifier. While the Razor seems to be the reverse, a long range reticle that happens to have a reddot just in case you're up close. Am I wrong? It seems to me that the strike eagle is a compromise between the 2 systems listing toward close quarters.

I'm guessing at the price dif the Razor, quality and durability wise, blows the strike eagle out of the water?

Thoughts everyone?

Thanks everyone for the input so far :)
View Quote
The illumination on the Razor is on another level compared to the Strike Eagle.  While the entire reticle lights up in the SE, it isn't as bright.

The clarity of the Razor paired with the brilliant illumination makes it, in my opinion, better than even the best red dots except for the weight penalty.

I have never been a fan of the horseshoe type reticles.  Not just from Vortex but other offerings as well like the MTAC.  I haven't used them long enough to discern if there is a real speed difference when I am shooting, it just seem.... busy.  All I need is that dot and all I want is that dot.

When I bought my Razor, I didn't want to spend that much money.  I bought it solely because of the reticle (at first).  Had the Steiner P4Xi been available at the time, I probably would have gone that route.

At the time, the options were the Swaro at $2k+, and offerings like the Burris MTAC which had decent glass and reliability, but a completely retarded reticle where the distance subtensions were enormous target obscuring circles.

Now that I have the Razor you won't pry it out of my hands.  There are some other great options on the market but I don't think any of them offer the quality and features for the price point.

In terms of glass quality and build quality, I think it is safe to say the Razor blows the SE out of the water.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't snag a SE for an AR22 or something like that.

Good glass spoils you and you find yourself selling off guns that you don't shoot so that you can put better optics on those that you do shoot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The illumination on the Razor is on another level compared to the Strike Eagle.  While the entire reticle lights up in the SE, it isn't as bright.

The clarity of the Razor paired with the brilliant illumination makes it, in my opinion, better than even the best red dots except for the weight penalty.

I have never been a fan of the horseshoe type reticles.  Not just from Vortex but other offerings as well like the MTAC.  I haven't used them long enough to discern if there is a real speed difference when I am shooting, it just seem.... busy.  All I need is that dot and all I want is that dot.

When I bought my Razor, I didn't want to spend that much money.  I bought it solely because of the reticle (at first).  Had the Steiner P4Xi been available at the time, I probably would have gone that route.

At the time, the options were the Swaro at $2k+, and offerings like the Burris MTAC which had decent glass and reliability, but a completely retarded reticle where the distance subtensions were enormous target obscuring circles.

Now that I have the Razor you won't pry it out of my hands.  There are some other great options on the market but I don't think any of them offer the quality and features for the price point.

In terms of glass quality and build quality, I think it is safe to say the Razor blows the SE out of the water.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't snag a SE for an AR22 or something like that.

Good glass spoils you and you find yourself selling off guns that you don't shoot so that you can put better optics on those that you do shoot.
View Quote
Thank you VERY MUCH!!! That was really helpful! :)
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
JM1

I like Mil-Mil reticles for higher powered scopes for more precision but I heavily favor BDC reticles for 'quick and dirty' firing solutions.

This is from real world chrono data for 55gr ammo out of my rifle:

JM1
https://i.imgur.com/23naVI1.png

Same data and same zero distance plugged into the MRAD reticle.

https://i.imgur.com/H40H4OC.png

You can adapt the JM1 to any 5.56 ammo by shifting the curve a bit by adjusting the zero distance.  A few minutes and Strelok is all it takes.

Or you can zero at 400 yards using the 400 yard stadia.

You may be off by an inch or two at 200 yards.  So what, these scopes are not designed for shooting golf balls.

For me the JM1 is so intuitive I don't understand the appeal of the MRAD version.  With the JM1, I have a very quick and easy to remember reticle under stress and time constraints.  0-2,3,4,5,6

Just my .02
View Quote
I agree, the JM-1 is a very useful BDC reticle that you can adapt to your setup. When it comes to a higher magnification precision setup then mil/mil is preferred.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top