Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2020 4:19:19 PM EDT
I'm looking for one and I really don't know that much about lights but I'm trying to learn as I go. Rail is a KAC URX 3.1
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TacticalConcepts:
it'll be really governed by you end task and budget. once we know that, we can guide you in the right direction. 

ETA - some things you want to consider: 

expected distances of use
temperature of use (cold weather - use lithium batteries - rechargeable or disposable)
run times - one cell is usually lower that 2 cell
battery types - lithium disposable is more expensive, but lithium rechargeable is guilt free lumens - just recharge

few brands come to mind:
surefire
streamlight
arisaka
modlite
malkoff devices

Mark
View Quote

Mark,

It's just going to be used for HD and of course #1 rule, it has to look cool. I'm not worried about run time or battery type, will be changed out yearly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Mark what about the Surefire M300 Mini?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Arisaka with the clicky tailcap. Wires get in the way. Krylon is your friend.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Streamlight TLR1-HPL. This thing is like staring into the sun.
1000 lumens 60,000 candela
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Surefire M600 DF in tan.  I also got the matching tan DS00 with ST07.  Also got a matching Cloud Defensive LCS in FDE.  M600 DF isn't as bright as my Cloud Defensive OWL (on another rifle), but I wanted all FDE/TAN for this setup.  Everything works well and looks good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BmNJ:
I have a Surefire M600 DF in tan.  I also got the matching tan DS00 with ST07.  Also got a matching Cloud Defensive LCS in FDE.  M600 DF isn't as bright as my Cloud Defensive OWL (on another rifle), but I wanted all FDE/TAN for this setup.  Everything works well and looks good.
View Quote

You guys need to show some pics!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Heading into work now I’ll post them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I vote Arisaka. But Surefire, Modlite and the rest mentioned are excellent choices as well.

I would say for you HD gun - Arisaka 300 series with mount of choice and/or pressure switch.

This is my Arisaka 600 fde going on my next build

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Cloud Defensive sells an FDE Streamlight HLX... the Streamlight pressure pads suck though and dont come in tan. There are tail adaptors to use Surefire pressure pads available. HLX has a better beam pattern than anything Surefire sells... but the build quality is not as nice.

Everything Arisaka/Malkoff sells is super pencil beam throw oriented at the moment. Nothing general purpose with good throw and spill.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't seen any mentions of Cloud Defensive.

They have the OWL in FDE. The only downside I see to it is the weight. If you could get over that, it covers light+mount+switch.

https://www.primaryarms.com/cloud-defensive-optimized-weapon-light-flat-dark-earth
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Surefire M300 or 600 series always a good go to. I've recently  started slowly switching out my m300 series to the SF M600 DF series. Anything surefire is always dependable, but are pricey...but as they say, you get what you pay for. With that said, I own a couple of the Streamlight HLX rail mount lights, and they have held up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Modlite and a can of Krylon....
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Longslide:
I vote Arisaka. But Surefire, Modlite and the rest mentioned are excellent choices as well.

I would say for you HD gun - Arisaka 300 series with mount of choice and/or pressure switch.

This is my Arisaka 600 fde going on my next build

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137230/IMG_20200513_132037_jpg-1414102.JPG
View Quote

Damn it! I need a Modbutton! @Johnny_Longslide where did you find one in stock?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I vote Arisaka. But Surefire, Modlite and the rest mentioned are excellent choices as well.

I would say for you HD gun - Arisaka 300 series with mount of choice and/or pressure switch.

This is my Arisaka 600 fde going on my next build

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137230/IMG_20200513_132037_jpg-1414102.JPG

@Synyster06Gates .... Yeah, I ain't tellin'!

I got lucky and bought a few of these... ok 5... when they were available. Get yourself on the notification list of the retailers that sell these.

I really like them but there is a caveat. They push the light higher over the rail than I prefer but for how they preform it's a fair trade off.

*Edit - I also wanted to mention that these aren't for everyone and they do have some limitations. For my applications, they work fantastic.

My next goal is to find the Unity Hot Button to test out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#19]

@Synyster06Gates .... Yeah, I ain't tellin'!

I got lucky and bought a few of these... ok 5... when they were available. Get yourself on the notification list of the retailers that sell these.

I really like them but there is a caveat. They push the light higher over the rail than I prefer but for how they preform it's a fair trade off.

*Edit - I also wanted to mention that these aren't for everyone and they do have some limitations. For my applications, they work fantastic.

My next goal is to find the Unity Hot Button to test out.
View Quote

Lucky! I just need one for my Modlite to run immediately behind my laser. I've been on a list but every time I get a notification I'm at work and they're OOS by the time I have a chance to get to it .

Where should I try besides Modlite, BigTexOutdoors, Arisaka, and Mil-Spec Retail?

@Johnny_Longslide and at if any point you decide to get rid of one, let me know and I'd gladly take one off your hands!

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#20]

@Synyster06Gates .... Yeah, I ain't tellin'!

I got lucky and bought a few of these... ok 5... when they were available. Get yourself on the notification list of the retailers that sell these.

I really like them but there is a caveat. They push the light higher over the rail than I prefer but for how they preform it's a fair trade off.

*Edit - I also wanted to mention that these aren't for everyone and they do have some limitations. For my applications, they work fantastic.

My next goal is to find the Unity Hot Button to test out.
View Quote

Looks good.  Were you able to compare it to a Surefire tape switch to see if there is any noticeable difference?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KCode98:

You guys need to show some pics!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I just got the upper on the right yesterday after a 4 month wait from Triarc... 11.5". And I'm trying it the Arisaka Malkoff E2XTD light on the 12.5".

@BmNJ - I honestly can't tell the difference white walling it. I haven't had the chance to get it out at night at distance but will soon.

@Synyster06Gates - Nah, sorry. I plan on getting more though. My CC is ready.

/threadhijack
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#23]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137230/IMG_20200517_111156_jpg-1420022.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137230/IMG_20200517_111319_jpg-1420023.JPG

I just got the upper on the right yesterday after a 4 month wait from Triarc... 11.5". And I'm trying it the Arisaka Malkoff E2XTD light on the 12.5".

@BmNJ - I honestly can't tell the difference white walling it. I haven't had the chance to get it out at night at distance but will soon.

@Synyster06Gates - Nah, sorry. I plan on getting more though. My CC is ready.

/threadhijack
View Quote

Johnny,
If you get the chance could you compare those light heads and let us know what you think?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm converted from Surefire to the OWL. I don't think I'd run it on a carbine, but on anything short I don't think it can be beat.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top