Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2020 10:59:24 AM EDT
Hello, long time lurker, not very often poster.

I've decided I want to be able to have a rifle in my car (it will not be stored there often) that I don't have to run to the trunk to load or fiddle with.
The way to keep this under 26 inches and avoid all manner of headache and legal trouble in my particular state is to just go with a 10 inch barrel.

I want something heavier than a government profile, but lighter than an HBAR. Would this be called medium contour or SPR?

I'm not looking for anything magical or impossible, just a good solid barrel. I have an old noveske receiver on another build and know them to be of excellent quality, but the word on the street these days is that noveske has really gone down hill. I'm wondering just how much they could mess up a barrel made by FN, but I've heard they "have linda lovelace gas ports". Yikes.

So I'm wondering if I should attempt to have a FSB put on a walther lothar, or just go with this colt barrel, that is between a government and an hbar.

Any other recommendations of barrels would be appreciated.

I normally shy away from PSA, but I've heard they also have a barrel made by FN. Does anyone here have experience with it?

Also, side note, I've heard for these short builds, you want an F marked fsb, even for a carry handle AR. Mine will have an a1 upper, would I still want the F marked, or would an a2 style fsb work better?

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I built a 10.5 pistol using a Noveske barrel. Yes, they are still good.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have noticed LMT makes a 10.5 inch barrel, and an 11.5 inch barrel still might keep me under 26 inches.

So here's 2 more ideas for a barrel.
The lower barrel is a strong side tactical button rifled 416R nitrided barrel in 11.5. Lead lapped they claim!

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You're severely limiting your choices by going with that contour. What benefits are you hoping for with the medium contour?

Without limitations on contour, the barrels I'd recommend would be Colt, DD, or FN (contract) 10.3" barrels or LMT 10.5" barrels. All are either in the range of or have a proper .070" gas port. If budget is a concern, the Andro/BA "Crane Spec" 10.3" barrels are a decent value for the money.

Yes, Noveske barrels have rather large ports at .080"+ (as do most/all commercial 10.5" FN CHF barrels). If you are absolutely set on a heavier contour, I would go with a Colt or FN contract SOCOM barrel. Although, outside of a full-auto gun, I personally don't feel the extra weight of the SOCOM profile is worth it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
A socom barrel profile might fit the barrel profile you describe like this one, but it's 10.5" not sure if that 1/2 inch makes a difference.

https://www.at3tactical.com/products/faxon-firearms-10-5-inch-government-socom-barrel-5-56-nato-carbine-length-4150-qpq

https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-combat-series-556-chrome-lined-ar15-barrel-socom-carbine-10.3

I'm assuming you want it in 223/5.56?  Are you also wanting CHF & CL?  

A hybrid profile might work too.

https://www.primaryarms.com/criterion-barrels-.223-wylde-10.5-hybrid-carbine-chrome-lined

https://www.primaryarms.com/strike-industries-strikefighter-223-wylde-cold-hammer-forged-carbine-barrel-10.3

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're severely limiting your choices by going with that contour. What benefits are you hoping for with the medium contour?

Without limitations on contour, the barrels I'd recommend would be Colt, DD, or FN (contract) 10.3" barrels or LMT 10.5" barrels. All are either in the range of or have a proper .070" gas port. If budget is a concern, the Andro/BA "Crane Spec" 10.3" barrels are a decent value for the money.

Yes, Noveske barrels have rather large ports at .080"+ (as do most/all commercial 10.5" FN CHF barrels). If you are absolutely set on a heavier contour, I would go with a Colt or FN contract SOCOM barrel. Although, outside of a full-auto gun, I personally don't feel the extra weight of the SOCOM profile is worth it.
View Quote
This is very good advice. I like DD barrels for hard use and Andro Corp (BA contract) barrels for most everything else. Both are properly gassed, hold up to abuse, have good threading/shoulder for suppressor concentricity, and in DD's case absolutely phenomenal support.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Aside from the crane barrels how are the andro barrels different from the BAs? They seem the be similar priced, why not just get a BA?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a strikefighter rifle barrel, but for this pistol, I wanted to go with a standard fsb, and I found, this thing is cut for a smaller profile gas block.

Ultimately, I'm leaning more and more towards a nitrided barrel over a chrome lined barrel. For a non full auto, and a good nitriding, vs a high quality chrome plating, what does the chrome plating really offer? Will it last longer, even without full auto?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Noveske barrels have not changed a bit. They are still the tits.

I don’t know where this quality gone down rumor started.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top