Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 11:37:14 PM EDT
...  does the rim slide up under the extractor like in a 1911?  

Or does the extractor snap over the round?  

If it snaps over, does this mean the 1911 style extractors are likely to wear out  sooner than the AR style extractors?

Just wondering, my spare extractor is still sitting in my tool box...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#1]
The AR-9 bolt has a "pocket" that captures the base of the case as it pushes it into the chamber.  It is not like a 1911 slide.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

.When a 9mm AR feeds a round from the mag into the chamber.....  does the rim slide up under the extractor like in a 1911?  

Or does the extractor snap over the round?  

If it snaps over, does this mean the 1911 style extractors are likely to wear out  sooner than the AR style extractors?

Just wondering, my spare extractor is still sitting in my tool box...
View Quote

Get your 9mm AR15, and lock the BCG back

Load a dummy round into a magazine

Insert the magazine into your 9mm AR15

Grab the charging handle, release the bolt hold open, and then slowly let the BCG slide forward and watch what happens as it grabs the round and pushes it into the chamber.

You can also use an endocam to record the action on your computer....and watch again it in slo-mo.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Feeding slowly by hand is what made me wonder.  It seemed impossible to have a round slide under the extractor as it entered the bolt face pocket.

So it does look like this is pretty tough duty for the 1911 style extractor on my bolt.

Maybe it would be smart to switch to a bolt with an AR style extractor.

Just thinking ahead as the parts ban looms...
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Having some spares is good but many people including myself have fired tens of thousands of rounds full auto and have never broken one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having some spares is good but many people including myself have fired tens of thousands of rounds full auto and have never broken one.
View Quote

Good answer because I only shoot a couple of matches a month with it.  Or did before I couldn't find primers anymore...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top