Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2023 4:20:20 PM EDT
When Were A2 Handguards Designed / Developed? I know that the M16A2 wasn't adopted until 1982 or thereabouts, but I was looking at an old "Guns" magazine online edition (July 1968) and on page 31, there is a photo of an AR-15 / M-16 with A2-type handguards, so 14 years earlier.

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/G0768.pdf
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
@coldblue

I always assumed they came out with the M16A2 in the early 80s, but I guess that's not the case.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The guy who designed the a2 pistol grip is a member here so I'm sure he can help answer your questions
Don't remember his name though...
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I know that the basic design of a round A2 type handguard was around before I joined the program in 1980. But as I recall, it was not that practical in its earliest forms because the upper and lower were not interchangeable, at least with a triangle shape A1 handguard cap. A Colt engineer, Mr. Harold Waterman designed a way for them to be so interchangeable, so we made that one of the improvements along with upgrading the base material.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The guy who designed the a2 pistol grip is a member here so I'm sure he can help answer your questions
Don't remember his name though...
View Quote

That'd be the guy posting below you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know that the basic design of a round A2 type handguard was around before I joined the program in 1980. But as I recall, it was not that practical in its earliest forms because the upper and lower were not interchangeable, at least with a triangle shape A1 handguard cap. A Colt engineer, Mr. Harold Waterman designed a way for them to be so interchangeable, so we made that one of the improvements along with upgrading the base material.
View Quote

I just went and looked again at the old picture at the link and you're right. I'm seeing a round handguard cap and not the triangle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I've read that Colt offered the round handguards that needed a round cap at about the same time as they introduced the XM177 series.

The Army declined because they wanted backwards compatibility with existing rifles.

The handguard that the A2 uses comes from Colt making it work with the triangle cap.

It's another case of the Army not wanting to reopen the milspec until the horse is dead and VERY beaten.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup the fact round handguards were available for thr XM177 make me think the Big Army was not interested in them for the M16… up until the introduction of the A2.

Just like the piston version of the M16, Colt designed some cool stuff way before the market/customers even wanted them
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Were the "fat" handguards that are available today ever tested by the military or is that strictly a commercial design? I think PSA includes these on their "Retro" A4 clones.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
pretty sure THE BLACK RIFLE had info that Colt made them several years prior to the A2 program

maybe even Vietnam era

i’ll try and remember to check when I get home
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Vickers AR15 volume 1 has one photo of an very A2ish style handguard and and 1 photo of it on an experimental Model 603 that says circa 1960s.  Page 450.

Says 14 vent holes instead of 15, and since it didn’t use the same front retention cap as the triangle that is the most likely reason for not being adopted.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The military decided to pass on it at the time, but when the A2 program was in process they were added in as the left A1 handguards had a tendency to break more often than the right side ones from the forward assist of a rifle to the left smacking into the rifle to the right of it in an M12 weapon storage rack.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

I've heard a few different versions of what caused the left side to fail more frequently, everything from grounding the weapons with ejection port up to increased exposure to dirt/grime/oils from right handed shooters hands having more contact with the left side, and right handed shooters bracing the left side against various pieces of cover/concealment when shooting from those positions which caused excessive wear to that side. I'll have to add the FA in the weapon rack to the list!
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I heard that it was the natural evolution of the Handguard design. The XM 177 and other carbines had round hand guards in the 60s and were used in Vietnam. That basic design was lengthened for the M16A2. So in a sense you could say it was designed back in the 60s.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I heard that it was the natural evolution of the Handguard design. The XM 177 and other carbines had round hand guards in the 60s and were used in Vietnam. That basic design was lengthened for the M16A2. So in a sense you could say it was designed back in the 60s.
View Quote

Oh no, it was full rifle length round hand guards back in the 60s.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#17]
@coldblue

Would you kindly enlighten us, Sir?
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

@coldblue

Since you're here, were the original A2 handguards shiny , dull finish, or could both be possible from the first production guns?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#21]
They were not shinny. More of a matte black.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They were not shinny. More of a matte black.
View Quote

Thanks for answering.  For years, there's been a debate on whether the shiny handguards came on factory rifles, or were they replacement handguards.
I have a set of shiny ones, that were new in bags over two decades ago. (obviously replacements)  I wish I had paid more attention to issued rifles I saw in 1991.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#24]
What book is that?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What book is that?
View Quote

THE BLACK RIFLE II

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Your cat looks a bit ominous.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What book is that?

THE BLACK RIFLE II

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/515PVUcmRsL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

He had to change the Title of the book, it's now being sold under a new name.

Black Rifle II is back! Renamed...

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top