Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2018 7:25:28 PM EDT
... pouring money out of my wallet, that is. What started out as a plan to replace the uppers on a couple ban-era rifles has turned into a full fledged orgy of AR purchases and building. I ran across the Larue stuff reading on here and ended up ordering a 5.56 18" Ultimate kit (which was supposed to be here towards the end of the month but is showing up next week). Then a ran across some Aero Gen2 stripped lowers at another LGS and bought a couple of those. Test got me thinking about what I was going to do with those and ...

I have a BA Hanson 16" barrel, Aero upper, Toolcraft nitride BCG & Midwest rail in FDE on the way (sale prices on most everything). My questions are two:

1) Is the Magpul or BCM FDE furniture a better color match to the Midwest FDE?

2) I realize the Larue trigger is a steal at current prices, but I don't think I want a 2 stage on the new rifle. Is there something better than the ALG ACT that doesn't cost $200+?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
2 cents on the trigger question...

My two favorite triggers are the Larue MBT for two stage and for a single stage the Geissele B-GRF. It is the Brownells exclusive Geissele single stage with a super positive reset and nice crisp / light brake. It’s a fast trigger and double taps are almost automatic... It’s on sale right now for $140, with coupons you can get it lower and is an amazing trigger for the money in my humble opinion.

It’s worth a look... Hope that helps
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 cents on the trigger question...

My two favorite triggers are the Larue MBT for two stage and for a single stage the Geissele B-GRF. It is the Brownells exclusive Geissele single stage with a super positive reset and nice crisp / light brake. It’s a fast trigger and double taps are almost automatic... It’s on sale right now for $140, with coupons you can get it lower and is an amazing trigger for the money in my humble opinion.

It’s worth a look... Hope that helps
View Quote
HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE +1 for the GRF.  I put a suppressed upper on my lower equipped with one and it's absolutely hilariously easy to bumpfire from the shoulder.

It's not a precision trigger, but for follow-up shot speed, there's NOTHING close without spending at least $100 more.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The disease spreads like the morning sunlight........
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The disease spreads like the morning sunlight........
View Quote
LOL - more than you can imagine.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
BCM FDE is lighter than Magpuls FDE. I don't have any MI items to compare.

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BCM FDE is lighter than Magpuls FDE. I don't have any MI items to compare.

https://i.imgur.com/KNTquNO.jpg
View Quote
Aha ... I think the BCM furniture will be a closer match to the anodized MI FDE - less green/olive based on your photo. The tail should be here next week and I can compare the Magpul grip I bought to test (cheap). Thanks for the pic
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the end result of a barrel change out that got away from me.  The sling and magazine are the same as when I started.

Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is the end result of a barrel change out that got away from me.  The sling and magazine are the same as when I started.

https://img.mewe.com/api/v2/photo/lO_uwL1_SMp1O27D77FELCI3FbEEWWbljMoWXLkgGE9a40r2pfTlbeZL3lI/1600x1600/Nikon+scope+%26+mount.jpg
View Quote
LOL - What started out as a couple new uppers to replace some old ban-era pieces turned into one BCM upper (16" ELW KMR) for an old ASA lower, 1 upper build for my old Bushmaster lower (LaRue Ultimate 18" Predator), 1 new build (this 16" BA Hanson/AP receivers/MI rail) as well as a couple new guns (used DD4V11 w sights/EOTech and a Springfield free-float) when I decided 2 AR's wasn't enough in this era of turbulent politics. Now I'm scheming to turn the other AP lower into a 300 BLK pistol. I can see at least a couple more variations in the future as well as possibly some sort of AR-10 piece.

I'm completely out of control

Back on topic, the Midwest G3 rail is being delivered today so I will see what the color looks like.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Got the rail this afternoon - while not an exact match to the Magpul grip, it is closer than I imagined and I think it will look fine. Midwest said they are discontinuing the FDE stuff because they had too many complaints about color variations in the anodizing so I guess I just got lucky. Good price too - $120 for a 12" G3 M-Lock.

I'll try to get a photo outside to show the color (mis)match with the Magpul tomorrow. Off to find a deal on an FDE Magpul MOE-SL stock,
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#11]
OK - here is the completed upper with the MI FDE rail and a Magpul FDE grip. The first image is taken outdoors under a cloudy sky (just rained) with my iPhone and the colors do not appear nearly as silver/gray to the eye as in the photo. The second image is indoors under warm white LED bulbs. I suspect that the colors would be a lot closer to the indoor photo on a sunny day outside. Going to have to be close enough.

The VG6 Epsilon brake/suppressor was free with the barrel purchase, but only bead blasted SS was available. Not crazy about the look in SS, but if I like the device after shooting with it, I can always mask off the barrel, stuff something inside the brake and shoot it with black Aluma-Hyde. Otherwise I'll replace it with a A2 birdcage.

Stock (Magpul MOE-SL in FDE) is ordered so I should be able to complete this next week - still waiting on the LGS to get the Aero lowers I ordered from them
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top