Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2021 11:15:57 PM EDT
What's the deal with these Colt Gau-5, I wanted to get information on this retro Colt. I called Colt customer service kid did not even know then they made these. Which I know they did not make, us ordinance made.

1) But did they only make 500?

I asked the kid if they're still making the xm177 E2 and he said as long as they're in the catalog colt is still making them.

2)Did Colt ever Market the gau-5  ?

3) I see some do not have the DOD markings on them is that correct that some did some didn't?

4) Is there any official colt web page that has the specs for the rifle.

5)are the parts made by Colt or by U.S. ordinance?

I was able to get one off of GunBroker for $2,278. I hate how GunBroker now charges tax  the door now the rifles almost $2,500.

I'm sorry for bad spelling and grammar please don't beat me up over it
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are made by US Armament for Colt.   They're good rifles but overpriced and the purists don't like them because they use non-contemporaneous forgings which means modern made to look old.

I own both the GAU and the 177 as well as a Troy XM177 clone and SP1 Carbine.  Nice but not as cool as actual retro things but they're a little more legit than Brownell's retro stuff due to Colt roll-marks.  $2500 all in on a GAU isn't a bad deal....I paid almost as much a year ago pre-GB tax rules
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both are made by US Armament for Colt.  
View Quote

Are you sure it was US armamendment. Because I called US ordinance ornaments in the guy told me that they made the rifles
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Both are made by US Armament for Colt.   They're good rifles but overpriced and the purists don't like them because they use non-contemporaneous forgings which means modern made to look old.

I own both the GAU and the 177 as well as a Troy XM177 clone and SP1 Carbine.  Nice but not as cool as actual retro things but they're a little more legit than Brownell's retro stuff due to Colt roll-marks.  $2500 all in on a GAU isn't a bad deal....I paid almost as much a year ago pre-GB tax rules
View Quote

US Ordnance, not Armament. I know because I had to send mine back to them to have the barrel replaced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine does not have the DOD stamp.

I heard on a private forum about the volume of 500, but cant confirm as an absoloute fact.

I never saw them advertised, I first heard about them on the same private forum.

After I got my rifle back from US Ordnance, it was perfect. One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Colt XM-177E2 right after they came out several years ago. I knew it was overpriced but I didn’t want to build one and chase all over for the parts. My dealer at the time said it was a “limited run” and even called his Colt distributor who confirmed that in three or four months Colt would cease production to boost collectability. Yeah, well 18 months later and Colt was still making them. I called Colt Customer Service and asked if I could buy a spare barrel and not only could I not, they had no clue about 177 barrels at all. Actually they knew nuthin’ about nuthin’ to the point I was ready to ask them what day of the week it was so I could at least ONE question answered. Frankly as long as there is money to be made I wouldn’t rule out Colt continuing to produce them.  So, there’s NO way Colt only produced 500 GAU-5’s.

Now I also purchased a Troy XM-177E2 but it wasn’t nearly as nice as the Colt. For one thing the BCG wasn’t chromed and most of the finish on the lower parts were black, not grey parkerized. Additionally the upper and lower receivers were not anodized. Don’t get me wrong I still like the Troy but it in no way was/is nice as the Colt. I didn’t consider buying a Brownells version because I think they make shit.

I think people get WAY too worked up over these “DOD markings”. I was in the US Army back in the not-so-good old days and one of my additional duties was that of “Arms Room Officer”. As such I had to conduct a quarterly inspection of several hundred M-16E1’s, and M-16A1’s. You know how many had DOD stamps on them? Maybe 20%.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
From U.S. Ordnance today

What we did is we got all the colt drawings and had the parts made to the drawings very detail orientated we did have to have our own tooling made up for the hand guards and butt stocks and went thru many versions to get it right colt had destroyed some of the tools so we had to start from scratch that’s why the cost of the weapons is high because they were all small batches but required to be fully tooled up so we had to amortize the cost over the weapons to make it a viable project to due its not an off the self-gun we had to make forging dies for the uppers and lowers as well

Thanks

Daniel Fassler

SVP / Director

U.S. Ordnance

I think Colt did good by picking this company after looking over their website and seeing their fine M2 Ma deuce has and other assault weapons they're making for the military I believe that this rifle will probably be better than Colt would have done. I just can't wait to get it in my hands the only thing I hate about GunBroker yeah the wait to get your rifle

Link Posted: 9/15/2021 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I had several emails with Dan Fassler and the owner of US Ordnance Curtis Debord about my GAU 5/a/a, they are quality people and really stood behind their product.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I also spoke to US Ordnance today to inquire as to if the GAU5 was done with its production run as Colt doesn’t show it on its website. The person I talked to never confirmed that the production run was over but did state to me that only 500 GAUs were made and if you can find one to buy it now because once they’re gone they’re gone. He also stated to me that the production run for the M16A1 was 3000 so I am assuming the same for the XM177E2 as well although I never inquired. So I purchased one today from Mr Gun Dealer which was the only on line dealer that showed a few in stock. Also purchased a GAU sling on eBay and several new production Colt marked mags. I’ll update my thoughts after it arrives.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#8]
you guys are right...forgot the exact name and didn't bother to check first.  I should have....I bought a 607 repro stock from them so it was easy to find.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#9]
My Colt Gau has the DOD stamp (see my Colt Gau post for pics). I paid $1700 for it over Labor Day as the retailer was a having a 10% discount and offering a $420 gift card.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My Colt Gau has the DOD stamp (see my Colt Gau post for pics). I paid $1700 for it over Labor Day as the retailer was a having a 10% discount and offering a $420 gift card.
View Quote

That's a hell of a deal I wish I could find one like that on GAU-5, I have a singlepoint but nothing to mount it on
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#11]
This is tankerfrank I am now Tankerfa,
Anyway I too but my Colt g a u - 5 from mr. Gun dealer you got the payment today so I hope it'll be shipped a few days I'll give you a update once I receive it I can't wait
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought one of the Colt XM16E1 reissue back in June.  And I love mine. It has all the correct marks on the barrel, and the BCG. And the nice roll marks on the receiver.  It shoots fantastic !
I have not seen a Gau for sale or I might buy one also.  I do have a SP1 carbine (1979) that I bought in 1993. I kinda like shooting the 20" barrel on the E1. Smoother.

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
On my new Colt GAU 5 rear sight is so stiff  I can not shift it from low to high sites.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On my new Colt GAU 5 rear sight is so stiff  I can not shift it from low to high sites.
View Quote

That was one of my other complaints when I sent my GAU back to US Ordnance for a barrel replacement. What you need to do is find something wooden or plastic to use to not mar anything up, especially if you slip and push on it really really hard lol, like your life depends on it hard. Once it moves a couple of times back and forth it will lossen up some.

LOVE me some GAU!
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought one of the Colt XM16E1 reissue back in June.  And I love mine. It has all the correct marks on the barrel, and the BCG.
View Quote

I have not seen any of the US Ordnance built guns with any markings of any kind on the BCG. Can you post some pics please? Would love to see them, TIA!
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have not seen any of the US Ordnance built guns with any markings of any kind on the BCG. Can you post some pics please? Would love to see them, TIA!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought one of the Colt XM16E1 reissue back in June.  And I love mine. It has all the correct marks on the barrel, and the BCG.

I just checked my Bolt and no there's no markings anywhere. Which is a shame because I have a M16 that was made in 1980 81 it's one of those Malaysian Parts guns that came back it was a perfect brand new condition and I'm the bolt it has the C on the carrier, and the bolt it's marked mc. So I don't know why u.s. ordinance did not mark their bolts
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
My GAU does NOT have DOD marks.

I have nicknamed the rifle “The Donald” because I bought it on the last day of Trump’s presidency.  Yes, I’m weird.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#18]
My recently purchased Colt Gau had the barrel markings and the DOD stamp. The BCG does not have any markings.

Being a retro firearm, when did Colt start marking their BCGs?

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#19]
For all you retro crowd.

I carried one in DS. As a maintenance troop it was easy to sling and still work. Very few of us were even issued a gun but I was also a SFS augmentee.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top