Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2022 12:17:02 PM EDT
What’s the best method for cleaning barrels? Bore snake? Multi piece cleaning rods? Cleaning cable? Just curious what everyone is using. I’ve read how bore snakes can get stuck if the string breaks and I’ve seen people complain about possible damage to rifling when using a cleaning rod and it flexes. I’m pretty new to ARs and there’s a ton of information out there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
depends on what you are wanting out of your barrel? i am no precision rifle shooter. my bolt action rifles for hunting i just run some patches of clp down the barrel a few times. Mainly when i store them and know they won't be shot for awhile.
same with my AR barrels. i don't clean the barrel often, just a few patches of CLP.

i don't like bore snakes as they use brass brushes and i just don't want that down my barrel

for me this has worked well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
CLP on patch a few times and then a couple dry patches. Don't over think it, stick with CLP or a gun oil. No reason to reinvent the wheel
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Most gun owners cause more damage to their rifles by excessive cleaning than they do actually shooting them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I send a wet patch down the barrel. Give it a few minutes or so and then send a brush down a few times. Then a few dry patches. If it's really dirty I'll do it again. Then I spray in clp and let it run down the barrel and sit for a few minutes. I'll use a couple q-tips to clean up around the locking lugs and chamber and then I push a couple patches through the barrel. I use a chamber brush from time to time but it usually isn't needed.

I don't know if this is the best method, it's just the method I use. Personally I think it's more important to keep the BCG clean and well oiled.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Oil on a patch

Let sit

Dry patch

Patch with hoppes no 9

Dry patch

Oil patch

Dry patch

Repeat if necessary
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Squirt a little brake cleaner in it, run a dry patch, couple drops of oil run a patch
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a bore snake I throw some hoppes on and do a few swabs and i'm done.

I maybe do this every few thousand rounds or so.

It's not a huge deal to clean ARs like theyre precision rifles.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#9]
There are many good methods, but protecting both the crown at the muzzled and the entry into the throat of the rifle from erosion caused by a cleaning rod abrading those areas is pretty well accepted as good practice.  

There are all sorts of various solvents that would work just fine to dissolve either carbon deposits or copper fouling.  But care must be taken to not leave solvents in too long lest they begin causing problems with the steel in the barrel.  

There are all sorts of recommended methods to preserve the bore in good condition for long term storage, and many of them work well.

On this site, asking which method of cleaning or preparation for storage is best is similar to asking for a recommendation on what to have for dinner, should Chili have beans or not, which handgun is best, which rifle is best.

I'm sure OP will receive some good information along with the inevitable snarky replies.  Sift through information carefully.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a bore snake.   Start with some cleaning fluid on it and run through a couple times.   Then I have a snake that has a patch holder and I run some good penetrating oil down it.  I don’t run dry patches on my AR’s.  

Clean bolt good in ultrasonic cleaner and then oil.  

Wipe receivers down with a little oil on rag.  

I am not a bench shooter and I shoot a decent amount and use a can so my crap gets dirty fast.  

I clean my target and hunting and classic guns much differently.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It depends…

Chrome or Nitride? CLP and a bore snake.

Stainless precision barrel? Butch’s bore shine and a quality rod.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
This has always worked for me.

Circa 1998
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
My thought is attacking it chemically is better than doing it mechanically. Best bore cleaner I have is wipeout and I use it every time since it's so easy with just letting it sit there and then coming back to run patches. It actually works too as I inspect with a bore scope.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Kinda funny to me to be worried about a brass bore snake etc going down the barrel when you shoot a copper bullet at over 3,000 feet per second being shoved out by exploding gunpowder.

Oh well, not judging, just noticing...
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
The problem with the bore snakes are the storage. You know, dropped in the dirt at the range. Laying on the bench in the garage while grinding on something. Then sprayed with wd40 and ran through the barrel about 40 times. Seen it all.

For me I fill the bore with foaming bore cleaner and let sit overnight. Push it out with a wet patch and fill again. Let that sit overnight again. Push it out with a wet patch. Then run a few patches of Amsoil bore cleaner then set the rifle up till the next time to go shooting.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Drunk post deleted…
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a quality rod and soak the barrel with Hoppes No 9. If it's bad, I'll leave it for a couple hours or even overnight, patch that out then repeat until no more blue patches come out.

Sometimes I will use Butch's if I'm in a hurry. I think it's more aggressive on copper than Hoppes.

For the really stubborn carbon I'll use Remington 40x bore cleaner. I'd consider it a mild abrasive.

I haven't used a brush in over a decade, just a quality jag and patches.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I say after initial break-in, you can clean every couple of hundred rounds.

From Rainier Arms....

As with break-in and using coated bullets, you will find many diverse opinions on this subject.

EQUIPMENT: Cleaning Rods: Use a good quality coated cleaning rod with a rotating handle. The
rotating handle allows the brush or patch to follow the lands and grooves. A non rotating
handle forces the brush bristles to jump over the lands and grooves instead of following them.

BRUSHES: Use a good brass or bronze brush with a looped end. Do not use a brush with a sharp,
pointed end.

SOLVENTS: Every shooting product manufacturer has their own miracle solvent, and most do
the job as advertised.

BORE GUIDES: Highly recommended!

PATCHES: Flannel or cotton patches work the best. Either trim or fold your patch to insure that
it will fit snugly into the bore, but not so tightly you have to force it. Forcing a patch causes the
rod to flex inside the bore of the rifle. If you are using a coated rod, this usually won't hurt
anything, but the uncoated stainless steel rods that some shooters use can batter against the
inside of the bore and damage rifling.

PROCEDURE: Once again, many different procedures abound. All accomplish basically the same
thing. Here's ours: With the bore guide and the brass brush on the cleaning rod, apply the
solvent to the brush by dipping it in the bottle or squirting a few drops on the brush. Slide the
bore guide up over the brush and insert the bore guide into the chamber with a twisting
motion. Push the brush through the barrel until it comes out the end of the muzzle. Now pull
the brush back into the chamber guide. This is one "cycle". Make one cycle for each bullet fired,
then apply more solvent to the brush and repeat this procedure. Now, fold or cut the patch for
a snug, not tight, fit. Push the the first patch all the way through the bore and out the muzzle.
As you draw the rod back, the patch should fall off. Put on another patch and push it towards
the muzzle until you can feel it touch your finger placed over the muzzle. Then draw the patch
back to the chamber and push it once more out the end of the muzzle so that it drops off.
Repeat this with one more patch and you are finished. If you are through shooting for the day,
lightly wet a patch with a light viscosity machine oil to prevent or retard rust. Push this patch
through the bore. Let it drop out the muzzle, and you are done.
View Quote

https://fksport.se/shop/ws0/39700/art87/87389387-8bdf74-barrelcare_Rainier_Arms_Barrel.pdf
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not a huge deal to clean ARs like theyre precision rifles.
View Quote

Speak for your own equipment.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Chrome lined AR barrel?  

Harpoon the shit out of it with some CLP on a bronze brush, then push a couple dry patches down it.

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kinda funny to me to be worried about a brass bore snake etc going down the barrel when you shoot a copper bullet at over 3,000 feet per second being shoved out by exploding gunpowder.

Oh well, not judging, just noticing...
View Quote

Steel - harder than Brass. Then, as you said, a copper jacketed bullet (brass is made from copper) at 3000 fps, plus the heat of the gp. I'd be way more worried about throat erosion, after about 15,000 rounds.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top