BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/26/2018 7:40:27 PM EDT
Recently purchased a Colt upper (16” carbine) from a reputable vendor, reading the description on the website it said Colt ar-15 M4 upper similar to a 6920CK. The quality is not quite up to spec with what I’ve seen on other 6920 uppers but it’s not bad either, vendor says this is a Colt built and assembled by Colt from real colt parts for them not something outsourced. Price Seemed about right for what a 6920 UR would be without BCG, CH and Buis. As long as this is gtg I plan on keeping it but if it’s not a quality piece no reason to keep.

Questions:

I know Colt has been changing some things and trying to cut some costs so is this a real colt/quality colt UR ? Is this something new for 2018/late 2018? Is this a 6920 UR or different altogether? Any other thoughts you might have…

Pics and Additional Info:

Arrived in anti-corrosion bag with no box/not in colt marked box
Front Sight not F marked, (did they do away with marking new FSP’s or is this just wrong?)
M4 mark on front of receiver
Receiver and barrel have correct Colt cage code, (believe this will be standard from now on instead of hand stamped C)
Barrel is chrome lined
Rough spot on lugs near feedramp, (does that look ok? Seems alittle rough to me)

Appreciate the feedback, thanks for your time!

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The markings all appear correct for a current production 6920 upper. Appears to be a legit Colt.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The markings all appear correct for a current production 6920 upper. Appears to be a legit Colt.
View Quote
Thanks for your input, this is the last build I will be able to do for awhile and one I want to be of good quality, spots around the feedramps have me worried.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No worries.

CAGE marked receivers are the new flavor, as you stated.
Blue mil bag is norm.
No more F stamped fsb.
Pic is not super clear, but grind/polish marks on the ramps is fairly common from factory. (Although I failed to notice it in any of mine until it was pointed out to me recently here).

View Quote
Good to know, I just don't like that the machining around the feedramps aren't even, looks sloppy and they feel rough, would something like this contribute to failure to feed?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw an Expanse upper that looked very similar.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, I just traded into a 6920 barrel that also has the top of the feed ramps ground.

I researched it and it is a thing Colt does, I found a few threads on it, including the one where Tig found out about it. From what I've seen it seems to be exclusive to the 6920 and 6920SOCOM. Although it could be a new factory Colt rifle thing now.

Anyway don't worry its all legit Colt. @HD2006 this is what I was talking about
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw an Expanse upper that looked very similar.
View Quote
The finish looks more expanse like to me then older 6920's I've seen but this upper was pretty dry when I got it, might look better once oiled. To the best of my knowledge the expanse is no more and checking the Colt website it's not in the lineup, don't believe any of the expanse rifles had the M4 barrel profile/cut either.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, I just traded into a 6920 barrel that also has the top of the feed ramps ground.

I researched it and it is a thing Colt does, I found a few threads on it, including the one where Tig found out about it. From what I've seen it seems to be exclusive to the 6920 and 6920SOCOM. Although it could be a new factory Colt rifle thing now.

Anyway don't worry its all legit Colt. @HD2006 this is what I was talking about
View Quote
Good to know, as long as I'm not the only one seeing this, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

don't believe any of the expanse rifles had the M4 barrel profile/cut either.
View Quote
They actually did, and the one I saw did. People were actually snagging Expanse rifles that had
SOCOM profile barrels.

Colt Expanse SOCOM Profile Barrel
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Also here are the links I found to other posts about the feedramps in case anyone else is curious about this...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Have_you_ever_seen_Colt_M4_feed_ramps_ground_like_this_/118-628568/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Should-I-be-concerned-M4-barrel-extension-feed-ramps/4-731399/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Colt_AR_15_A4__Pic_s_Inside_/118-637224/?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They actually did, and the one I saw did. People were actually snagging Expanse rifles that had
SOCOM profile barrels.

Colt Expanse SOCOM Profile Barrel
View Quote
Interesting, if I had seen one for around 500 then I would have snagged one too!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Feed ramps look good to me. Choot it!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#15]
As others have already pointed out, the polished feed ramps are normal for Colt. Though sometimes it looks like less of a polish and more of a grinding, as is the case with your example.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As others have already pointed out, the polished feed ramps are normal for Colt. Though sometimes it looks like less of a polish and more of a grinding, as is the case with your example.
View Quote
Like the OP's mine is also uneven and looks like shit. They even bit into the chamber from both ramps. Should still work fine tho.

I wish they would stop fucking with it, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But Colt gonna Colt.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Like the OP's mine is also uneven and looks like shit. Should still work fine tho.

I wish they would stop fucking with it, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But Colt gonna Colt.
View Quote
I just wish that they would get someone with more steady of a hand to do the polishing job... Or better yet, set up a jig to do a perfect job every time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Almost impossible to get the right angle for a pic with the barrel installed in a receiver, but if you zoom in you can see how uneven the inverted V in between the feed ramps was ground, and how uneven the outside ends of the feed ramps were ground. Can also see where they cut into the chamber from the left side feed ramp. Right side doesn't show much in this pic but its there too

Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Now that I flip my phone and zoom in on OP's, his inverted V is even worse. What the fuck are these idiots at Colt even thinking?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Almost impossible to get the right angle for a pic with the barrel installed in a receiver, but if you zoom in you can see how uneven the inverted V in between the feed ramps was ground, and how uneven the outside ends of the feed ramps were ground. Can also see where they cut into the chamber from the left side feed ramp. Right side doesn't show much in this pic but its there too

https://i.imgur.com/zkBWGJS.jpg
View Quote
Damn, that is pretty ugly. I was just about to post something like, "Haha, my new Colt barrel is perfect and yours isn't, nananana!" to fuck with you... but then I figured I'd better double check. Mine has 'em, lol.

It's not quite as bad, but still... a little minor profiling was done. I don't really get why they should need to fuck with the extension at all. Did some monkey at Colt just take it upon himself to "improve" random barrels? It shouldn't be necessary... and seems like a really labor-intensive and inefficient way to address it if there is a problem. If your extensions aren't straight, figure out why and fix it... don't profile them by hand, ffs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn, that is pretty ugly. I was just about to post something like, "Haha, my new Colt barrel is perfect and yours isn't, nananana!" to fuck with you... but then I figured I'd better double check. Mine has 'em, lol.

It's not quite as bad, but still... a little minor profiling was done. I don't really get why they should need to fuck with the extension at all. Did some monkey at Colt just take it upon himself to "improve" random barrels? It shouldn't be necessary... and seems like a really labor-intensive and inefficient way to address it if there is a problem. If your extensions aren't straight, figure out why and fix it... don't profile them by hand, ffs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get the feeling somebody got a FTF so Colt said "lets take a dremel to all feed ramps! - being most people at current day Colt have no idea what they're doing, and most of the ones that did got fired.

Did you zoom in on OP's feed ramps and look at that inverted V In between them? My God man. You couldn't have possibly done a worse job
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I get the feeling somebody got a FTF so Colt said "lets take a dremel to all feed ramps! - being most people at current day Colt have no idea what they're doing, and most of the ones that did got fired.

Did you zoom in on OP's feed ramps and look at that inverted V In between them? My God man. You couldn't have possibly done a worse job
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here at Colt, we give every gun that personal touch - sometimes while drunk... using a Dremel.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm pretty sure I just found the side business of the Colt Dremel Guy...

REDNECK DREMEL DENISTRY!! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This ^^^

Curious as to why it's done to begin with. What criteria deems one extension worthy vs another not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or better yet, set up a jig to do a perfect job every time.
This ^^^

Curious as to why it's done to begin with. What criteria deems one extension worthy vs another not?
I wish that I knew. I imagine that it's nothing that a 1000 rounds down the pipe couldn't solve instead... It would look nicer in the end too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now that I flip my phone and zoom in on OP's, his inverted V is even worse. What the fuck are these idiots at Colt even thinking?
View Quote
That was the first thing that I noticed. Most of the ones that I've seen look like the one in your picture.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That was the first thing that I noticed. Most of the ones that I've seen look like the one in your picture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
His looks like a damn mountain range. I hope there is a stop put to this because who ever is doing it they're obviously not competent.

I've never had a feeding issue with any of my unmolested Colt chambers and barrel extensions that I recall. That raises the issue of why in the first place. If these extensions feed an M4A1 just fine at 900RPM, why the shit does a 6920 extension need to be messed with? Well I can answer that. It doesn't.

You suck Colt.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

His looks like a damn mountain range. I hope there is a stop put to this because who ever is doing it they're obviously not competent.

I've never had a feeding issue with any of my unmolested Colt chambers and barrel extensions that I recall. That raises the issue of why in the first place. If these extensions feed an M4A1 just fine at 900RPM, why the shit does a 6920 extension need to be messed with? Well I can answer that. It doesn't.

You suck Colt.
View Quote
I still love Colt, though they definitely need to get their Dremel monkeys under control.

If they have a really good reason for doing this, they need to do a better job of it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I put > this < in Colt's industry section in hopes that someone at Colt still looks in there every once in a while.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I put > this < in Colt's industry section in hopes that someone at Colt still looks in there every once in a while.
View Quote
I enhanced it
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I enhanced it
View Quote
Thanks, it needs all the enhancement it can get.

If anyone else can get pictures of their Colt feed ramps feel free to post them over there.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Interesting, Im waiting on a colt upper from Brownells.  If it as bad as yours, I'll send it back.  I think that is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Or better yet, set up a jig to do a perfect job every time.
View Quote
That seems like the most logical solution if this needs to be done often enough...
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dang, yours looks rough too, any feeding issues or beyond normal marks on your brass?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good call, thanks, I hope someone at Colt see's it!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Also big thanks to everyone for the input and info, I love Colt but still not thrilled with this. I really wanted this to be a nice build that will be with me for life, even though it's probably serviceable I can't help but feel like I paid too much for what I got, am I being too picky about this lol?

I'm probably going to ask if the vendor will exchange it and see what I get, like I said originally the price was fair but would you be happy if you paid money and got this? Is this worth Colt $$ in late 2018 with a lot of other nice stuff out there for the same price?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Dang, yours looks rough too, any feeding issues or beyond normal marks on your brass?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't gotten a chance to take it out yet, only had it for a few days. But it did have some green tip residue in the chamber so I'm guessing it passed the test fire at Colt. Still not happy about it tho. If it was done right or preferably not done at all id be a happy camper. What they did on ours  looks like dogshit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'd shoot the hell out of it.

I highly doubt that you will experience any feeding issues honestly.
View Quote
Probably right but I'm still going to check with the vendor on their return/exchange policy, range is not close for me so might not be able to get out and test it for a week.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Haven't gotten a chance to take it out yet, only had it for a few days. But it did have some green tip residue in the chamber so I'm guessing it passed the test fire at Colt. Still not happy about it tho. If it was done right or preferably not done at all id be a happy camper. What they did on ours  looks like dogshit.
View Quote
Agreed, same here. Will be interesting to see if 556Cliff or any of us get a reply on the Colt industry page.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:38:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Agreed, same here. Will be interesting to see if 556Cliff or any of us get a reply on the Colt industry page.
View Quote
A reply of any kind from someone at Colt in the Colt industry forum is more than a long shot.

I'm hoping for a miracle though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Here are two of my Colts. I also had another Mk18 that I bought from a member here who swore it was a legitimate Mk18 upper but I knew from the dremel marks that it was a chopped 6920.

Colt 6921 Upper, dremeled.

Real Colt 10.3" Mk18 Upper, not a 6920 or 6921 Chop. No dremel marks.

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I’ve got 3 6920 varieties from 5 yrs old to a few weeks old and they all have that feed ramp grinding. I checked my buddy’s 6 different ones from 6 yrs old to early 2018 and they all have it too. Apparently something Colts been doing for awhile and doesn’t seem to hurt anything.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I’ve got 3 6920 varieties from 5 yrs old to a few weeks old and they all have that feed ramp grinding. I checked my buddy’s 6 different ones from 6 yrs old to early 2018 and they all have it too. Apparently something Colts been doing for awhile and doesn’t seem to hurt anything.
View Quote
Yea seems like this is just a thing and some people get it worse than others, as long as it doesn't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Here are two of my Colts. I also had another Mk18 that I bought from a member here who swore it was a legitimate Mk18 upper but I knew from the dremel marks that it was a chopped 6920.

Colt 6921 Upper, dremeled.

https://i.ibb.co/b6JLG3Y/20181128-175353.jpg

Real Colt 10.3" Mk18 Upper, not a 6920 or 6921 Chop. No dremel marks.

https://i.ibb.co/4pXfjhk/20181128-175518.jpg
View Quote
MK18 looks so nice w/o the dremel marks lol, that 6921 doesn't look bad though, I suppose mine will smooth out over time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

MK18 looks so nice w/o the dremel marks lol, that 6921 doesn't look bad though, I suppose mine will smooth out over time.
View Quote
I've only got about 1,000 round through the 6921. Has functioned flawlessly, though. Not a single failure yet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top