Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2018 11:04:37 AM EDT
I was thinking of using a SBA3 brace which uses a military carbine buffer tube which from my understanding is where you start the measurement, the buffer tube. So given we know the length of a military spec buffer tube, what length barrel is needed to get an OAL of 26 inches so I can attach a vertical grip?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The rear of the extended brace is the rear measurement point when calculating OAL, according to the ATF. If your brace folds then it is measured folded and you will not reach 26'' no matter the barrel length. LOP can not exceed 13.5'' on an arm brace. Unless your using an 8.5'' or less barrel you should be able to reach 26''.
According to the ATF a front vertical grip is distinguished by being a perpendicular 90 degree angle to the barrel. Using an angled grip is OK no matter the OAL.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless your using an 8.5'' or less barrel you should be able to reach 26''.
View Quote
A military buffer tube installed is around 7". I could be completely wrong here but I do not think a 9" barrel will get the OAL 26".
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A military buffer tube installed is around 7". I could be completely wrong here but I do not think a 9" barrel will get the OAL 26".
View Quote
The ATF has stated that if you have an adjustable "length-of-pull" brace like the SBA3, then you measure the pistol's OAL from the rear of the brace, with the brace fully extended, to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
... If your brace folds then it is measured folded and you will not reach 26'' no matter the barrel length....
View Quote
Hard to imagine how a 20" barrel would not result in a OAL greater than 26".
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The ATF has stated that if you have an adjustable "length-of-pull" brace like the SBA3, then you measure the pistol's OAL from the rear of the brace, with the brace fully extended, to the muzzle.
View Quote
Oh wow that is awesome news I didn't know!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... If your brace folds then it is measured folded and you will not reach 26'' no matter the barrel length....
Well, you got me there . Not many 20'' barreled pistols running around but facts are facts.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
It takes at least a 11.5" barrel if using a carbine or standard length buffer tube without any brace to get over 26" overall. I used a Kak Super Sig extended buffer tube with my 10.5" barrel to get to 26.5" overall length.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is exactly how it is measured.   With that said, I run a 9" barrel with brace fully extended and it is just past 26".
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Until they change their minds and decide fully collapsed is the way it's measured then you have people suddenly in possession of *unregistered AOWs.

These are the people who suddenly decided one particular shotgun was a DD, and a shoestring a MG after all...

* realistically not going to happen, but always the possibility.  In some ways I wish it would some of this stuff needs to go to court to get finalized one way or the other.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It takes at least a 11.5" barrel if using a carbine or standard length buffer tube without any brace to get over 26" overall. I used a Kak Super Sig extended buffer tube with my 10.5" barrel to get to 26.5" overall length.
View Quote
Sorry i'm and mot sure that's correct.

I have a 10.3" with a very old "Sig Brace" on a standard pistol buffer tube I slip fit on is shoved clear to the receiver and my OAL is around 28" without muzzle device.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Until they change their minds and decide fully collapsed is the way it's measured then you have people suddenly in possession of *unregistered AOWs.

These are the people who suddenly decided one particular shotgun was a DD, and a shoestring a MG after all...

* realistically not going to happen, but always the possibility.  In some ways I wish it would some of this stuff needs to go to court to get finalized one way or the other.
View Quote
It is however a consideration in MI. Under state law they measure from the collapsed position.
Don't know what state OP is in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a 10.3" with a very old "Sig Brace" on a standard pistol buffer tube I slip fit on is shoved clear to the receiver and my OAL is around 28" without muzzle device.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a few pictures with my pistol with both a pistol length buffer tube and a carbine buffer tube next to the extended Sig tube. It has a 10.5" barrel.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
A 10" ish barrel will get you there. 8" ish barrel would be too short unless you pin the muzzle device.

ETA - with an SBA3
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
He is right. The kak supertube is the key. I’ve got the same setup.

Edit: trouble. I just measured from my trigger to fully extended blade with kak supertube. Over 13.5 inches.

This 13.5 bs came out after I built this thing. So sick of this. Tax stamp might be coming.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Best try measuring again, a 10.3" barrel w/std 7"+/- tube is not going to make the magic number w/o the muzzle device, not going to happen.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Edit: trouble. I just measured from my trigger to fully extended blade with kak supertube. Over 13.5 inches.

This 13.5 bs came out after I built this thing. So sick of this. Tax stamp might be coming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have all that too and my LOP is under 13.5" no matter how I measure it. I think we have a different definition of extended.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have all that too and my LOP is under 13.5" no matter how I measure it. I think we have a different definition of extended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a KAK "Super Sig" tube or the standard KAK dimpled tube? The SS tube is longer and lacks dimples.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you have a KAK "Super Sig" tube or the standard KAK dimpled tube? The SS tube is longer and lacks dimples.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turns out I have the Midwest Industries extended tube. Looks a bit like the Kak SS. No dimples.
My Sig SBX brace has another 1/2 inch to go before it has bottomed out on the tube.
Not sure what would be considered extended with this brace.

MI Extended Buffer Tube

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#19]
This is an interesting thread. I made an LMT CQBR using an factory built 10.5" upper and a lower I assembled with an SBA3. I was under the impression it was measured with the brace collapsed. If it is truly measured with it extended then I need to but a KAC broomhandle :)
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Adding another "well I read the laws this way" - RE: OAL

If any muzzle device is removable, remove it. If any pistol brace can come off whatever tube it is on, remove it. Now measure from muzzle thread to end of tube. That is the shortest the firearm can be, and still operate.
If you have a Law Tactical adapter et al.  - fold it and measure to end of section attached to receiver. The firearm can fire one round with the Law Tactical folded.

The fully extended Brace "thing", has to do with the *verbal* discussion that KAK had with ATF in regards to LOP - don't exceed 13.5"

Edit: Annnnnd I may be being influenced by my state law:
"The stock extended is a departure from how some states require individuals to measure the overall length of the firearm. That said, we are discussing federal law, but be aware of the difference if you happen to reside in one of those states"

So the Feds measure with the SBA3's et al. on the tube, extended? Cool.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is a link about how the ATF measures certain braces on AR pistols. Look at how they measure the Sig MPX with brace.

CT ATF Raid
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:42:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#whogivesashitabouttheatf
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
No one. Until it’s you in cuffs.

Just like vaccines. They are wonderful technology until your kid is in the small percentage of kids who get brain damage and other life long problems. And when you try to complain to the dr they say read the info packet they handed you before they gave you the very first shot that told you of all of the possible huge dangers that aren’t likely to occur but could.

*dont mean to turn this into a vaccine thread at all, just the first thing that came to mind after working in the medical field for years.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just like vaccines. They are wonderful technology until your kid is in the small percentage of kids who get brain damage and other life long problems. And when you try to complain to the dr they say read the info packet they handed you before they gave you the very first shot that told you of all of the possible huge dangers that aren’t likely to occur but could.

*dont mean to turn this into a vaccine thread at all, just the first thing that came to mind after working in the medical field for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can somebody show me again all the people convicted for NFA violations? And, please do not include the ones who were already in the act of committing a felony.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Can somebody show me again all the people convicted for NFA violations? And, please do not include the ones who were already in the act of committing a felony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For now, you are correct. He is talking about down the line when Dems are back in power. Then he might be right.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Convicted and arrested with confiscation are two completely different things both of which will cost you a LOT of money.

Both of which can come at the hands of many different authorities.

I’m not a fan of Russian roulette type games.

We JUST saw the ATF try to convict for this. They even tried to get their own approval letter blocked.

Not trying to be a jerk but some of you are taking this way to lightly.

And just wait until there is a grabber president. SCOTUS is our only chance at this point. Hopefully that scumbag whatever her name is dies and we get a pro 2 guy and we can call it a day.

Until then I have to protect myself and family from a tyrannical agency. What’s crazy is I’m not even engaging in hyperbole. Scary.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
The number is so low it's statistically insignificant, just like the number of people who have reactions to vaccines.
Figure on the very conservative side there are probably around 100k illegal NFA items in the country and maybe two or three people a year get into trouble for owning them without any other additional charges and most of the time it's because they drew attention to themselves in one way or another.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:49:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well, you got me there . Not many 20'' barreled pistols running around but facts are facts.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a 11.5 inch pistol build coming up so I threw together the receiver, receiver extension, barrel (no muzzle device) and it measured out as a shade under 26".

This was without the brace on it, so something to be aware of in case some ATF agent or local cop decides that the brace should come off when they measure OAL.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone check the LOP on an SBA3 mounted to a Vltor A5 receiver extension?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top