Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2020 6:23:08 PM EDT
I went with one of those "made in America" jobs that was "Made in China," and it sticks out like a sore thumb and pokes me in the ribs.

I should get one that's less pronounced. Should I just go standard?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
the Geissele ACH is a low pro charging handle.

https://geissele.com/airborne-charging-handle.html

I don't think I would pay 89.00 for one but would definitely pay 50 and they are on sale occasionally.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Mil-spec.  How does it poke you in the ribs?  Shooting from the hip?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Raptor-LT charging handle.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I use radian raptor or strike industries ambi or breek arms war hammer or even a $17 generic ambi from outdoor sports...

Cheapo handle

ETA: it depends on the build and the quality of the weapon.  I put a $100 Next Level Armament charging handle on my MPX, which is a $1400 firearm.  I used a $17 handle on a 80% lower and mutt build that cost me about $400 total.  Spend in proportion to the build.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mil-spec.  How does it poke you in the ribs?  Shooting from the hip?
View Quote
Hanging from the sling.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is poking you while hanging from the sling it is probably an ambi that sticks out quite a bit on both sides.

There is a purpose in being large and sticking out, to allow for more purchase space, which assures you positive grip when you go to charge the weapon.  You want it big enough to easily grab onto ... and to clear the weapon if you have a malfunction.  Something that is tiny and doesn’t stick out won’t poke against you, but also won’t give you the leverage you need if you ever have a bad malfunction.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hanging from the sling.
View Quote
Goltcha.  I use a single point on my pistols so never have experienced that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Just use a standard, run of the mil spec small cheap charging handle. I used one for 5 years; Marine Corps infantry, Iraq vet.

If you have a stuck case, your puny little finger ain't getting the job done with or without a goofy boat anchor ambitious ultra charger handle. You have to "mortar it" out.

Only reason to have a special charging handle is if your scope gets in the way.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I use mil spec on all but one AR. No extended latches or anything. The that isn't has some $80 exotic billet CH. It actually sucks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
BCM Ambi Gunfighter or Radian Raptor.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just use a standard, run of the mil spec small cheap charging handle. I used one for 5 years; Marine Corps infantry, Iraq vet.

If you have a stuck case, your puny little finger ain't getting the job done with or without a goofy boat anchor ambitious ultra charger handle. You have to "mortar it" out.

Only reason to have a special charging handle is if your scope gets in the way.
View Quote
I agree.  In which case my go to are Raptor Radian or BCM Mod44.  That said, use a single point on my pistols.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#12]
The standard GI handle has done ok for 45 years. I'm not seeing any reasons for it to be changed since it does all it needs to do in real combat against all the enemies we have faced in various environments.

The fancy handles address issues only found in competition where specific things are done to the weapon that force its adoption, like, light loads to reduce recoil, or stages were reloads are a forced requirement. For the most part those are artificially induced. Competition deliberately sets up these events to sort out the goats from the sheep among the top contestants. It's not real life.

The M16 series has a bolt hold open, on the last round fired it's held back - you drop the empty, insert new, hit the release and you are in action again. With the ergonomics already sorted out, you don't even remove your eye from the rear sight. Doing so only increases risk.

What do you need a specially enhanced handle for when the real skill is quickly recharging the mag well? You don't have to pull the bolt back when it automatically stays back. Otherwise, you only use it to charge the first round. The other 299 will follow suit if you do your part.

Stoner was a Marine and he knew what he was doing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#13]
That was a good reply. They've all been good!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Best of luck, however you decide to address the issue.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I use “Ol’ Shitty” for everything. It’s USGI style or nothing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Raptor-LT on my lefties and Colt on right-hand guns.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I love the Raptor-LT if I want something a bit fancier. Comes in different colors if your into that.

Nothing wrong with a good ol standard CH.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use “Ol’ Shitty” for everything. It’s USGI style or nothing.
View Quote
Hellllllllllls yeah!

ETA: I do have one LMT Tactical Latch I got back in the day during one of the many panics, when I couldn't find anything else in-stock... it's ok.  Not a game changer or anything way better than USGI.  I can only assume the same for a BCM or Geissele charging handles.  Meh...
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Mostly USGI, but I like the VLTOR BCM too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Being a lefty an ambi is best for me.
BCM 44
AXTS
Geiselle Gov
At the range no matter as I can take my hand off of controls
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Having shot a FAL for 20 years before I got an AR, I gotta say that I'm really liking the left side charging non-reciprocating system that Gibbz (and Matrix and .... I think they're all made by Gibbz) offers.... otherwise, standard, or perhaps standard with a slightly larger tab for the actual latch part.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mostly USGI, but I like the VLTOR BCM too.
View Quote
Vltor still makes the original gunfighter! Just bought one since I hate these new style charging handles.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I've converted all my pistols to ambi CH's. In CA you have to break the receiver open to drop the mag in order to stay legal. The switch for this is on the passenger side on the unit I and uses the right hand thumb to actuate it so a std charge handle is fine usually....

If you ever get a type 3 malfunction, its a real shit show. Usually you would drop the mag first, but since there's a mag lock in place, you must first open the receiver slightly which can't happen when the BCG is rearward.  The right side of the ambi handle gets used to hold the port open while you try to pry the double feed out of the chamber. Of course, this has never happened to me...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top