Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/13/2022 8:20:19 PM EDT
Cousin shooting 14.5 bcm that was previously 100% until this happened. Ammo issue? Extractor? Ejector? Fluke malfunction?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Cousin shooting 14.5 bcm that was previously 100% until this happened. Ammo issue? Extractor? Ejector? Fluke malfunction?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127639/ECC0C22C-26AB-4D1E-A4AC-A7EE3F79DAE4_jpe-2382933.JPG
View Quote

Happen one time? It's a fluke.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
That's amazing!

I am no expert, but I feel like about the only mechanistic way for this to happen would be for a magazine failure to retain that round at the the perfect time, and stopped the forward motion of the bolt with the base of the cartridge positioned perfectly.  

Either that, or his AR was trying to be like a bren gun.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Guessing but it looks like a mag problem letting a round pop out when it shouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#4]
My father did that exact thing with his 300blk sbr a couple of months ago. I still don’t know how he did it. Neither does he.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Bolt override malfunction. Not super common.  Usually clapped out mags are the cause.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep. Junky mag. Mother of all clusterfucks when there’s two live rounds in there and the spent one can’t get ejected either.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe check the extractor and ejector too?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]

This was a fun one too. But probably a different cause. My theory on tinkering with the RDB kit is that I used too heavy of a buffer, and the odd ejection mechanics couldn’t work, and the case which didn’t eject and got flipped, pushed a new round into the chamber the bolt tried to as well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bolt override malfunction. Not super common.  Usually clapped out mags are the cause.
View Quote

Yep. Instructors will induce this malfunction during training and sometimes they are a bitch to clear.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Almost certainly mag related if the rifle is otherwise reliable. Bad feed height, feed lips or rounds were jammed/catching in the mag as the follower raised up. Giving the mag a rearward slap to align the rounds against the rear of the mag before installing into the rifle is never a bad idea.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep. Instructors will induce this malfunction during training and sometimes they are a bitch to clear.
View Quote

All you do is use your middle finger into the mag well and push the carrier backwards. Some tools like leatherman has a bolt override hook that lets you grab on the front part of the carrier and push it backwards. Sometimes just mortaring it will do the trigger as it'll bounce the carrier back.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
knowing my cousin those mags are easily 10+ years old who knows what kind of suspect ammo, and the rifle probably hasnt been cleaned in years
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Age of the mag shouldn't matter if it's been taken care of. I have USGI mags that I got at pawn shops in Fayetteville, NC in the '80s that still work fine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

@alpha0815

After being shown the below technique I've found them easy and fast to clear. I include this ibn my classes and let folks give it a try. Just in case you've never tried it...

1. Pull bolt back as far as you can, the round will follow usually.

2. Insert thumb into election port to block the BCG from going forward. It's important to prevent any forward movement of the BCG.

3. Slap CH forward, round will pop out and fall out trough the mag well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@alpha0815

After being shown the below technique I've found them easy and fast to clear. I include this ibn my classes and let folks give it a try. Just in case you've never tried it...

2. Insert thumb into election port to block the BCG from going forward. It's important to prevent any forward movement of the BCG.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@alpha0815

View Quote

Was shown that immediate action when I was at Ft Bragg. In the early '80s there were still Vietnam vets in the service.
Saw that malfunction at one of the ranges. Our PltSgt called all of us over and showed us how to clear it.
He mentioned he had only seen that malfunction one time. And that it was in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Was shown that immediate action when I was at Ft Bragg. In the early '80s there were still Vietnam vets in the service.
Saw that malfunction at one of the ranges. Our PltSgt called all of us over and showed us how to clear it.
He mentioned he had only seen that malfunction one time. And that it was in Vietnam.
View Quote

Had it happen in a class some years ago, the only time I've seen it myself.

I think it's so rare the technique gets forgotten and/or not passed on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@alpha0815

View Quote

I’ll try this next time, interesting.

Op- brass over bolt.  A tough malfunction.

Try new mags

if you shoot enough shit happens, maybe just a fluke
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve seen four bolt overrides in my life. Two of them were immediately after the shooter slapped the mag on an open bolt.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Brass over bolt can be a bad time and is one of the few malfunctions that can truly take your rifle down. Agreed on the solve: pin the carrier as far back as it'll travel and chop the CH forward.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Giving the mag a rearward slap to align the rounds against the rear of the mag before installing into the rifle is never a bad idea.
View Quote

One thing I learned in ROTC and it stuck in my head ever since, do it with all mags of any type.  Trained my kids to do the same.  Even do it throughout the mag loading process.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top